Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Green for Constable - Whitehall Twp.

I'll ask everyone reading this to be a voter, and if you are eligible to I will ask you later this year to vote for me. After taking my time to consider things, almost too much time in fact, I have decided to jump into the race for constable in Whitehall Township, Lehigh County.

I will be busy on Monday seeking to complete the nomination petition to be on the ballot for the democratic and the republican primary election. Should the one-day signature push not prove fruitful I will look at filing independently or mounting a write-in campaign.

Should anyone here happen to live in Whitehall Township and be available to sign a nomination petition Monday, please send me a message or make a post here and I will reach out to you. I will post more details later about how this decision came about and my personal goals and motivations on running for office. I'll be using this thread and other social media to run a very simple and transparent campaign for office.

Thank you,

David Green aka IronSight

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Green for Constable - Whitehall Twp.

Just a quick update. I'll be out with the petitions starting between 12 & 1pm and going until I get enough valid signatures or until it is too late to be reasonably knocking on doors. Again, if anyone here is a registered voter in Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, and is willing to sign a nomination petition today just let me know!

(Lehigh County)

Update #2 ... after getting the forms from the voter registration office I have discovered that even though the position of Constable is essentially non-political you cannot cross-file for it.

Weird.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Do you know if it's going to be a competitive race? If not, just getting on the ballot pretty much guarantees victory. Even if you're running against someone else, just stand outside the polls, shaking hands and handing out flyers or cards, and you'll probably have no problem winning. My neighbor worked the polls like that for a borough council write-in campaign, and got more votes than a guy on the ballot.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Do you know if it's going to be a competitive race? If not, just getting on the ballot pretty much guarantees victory. Even if you're running against someone else, just stand outside the polls, shaking hands and handing out flyers or cards, and you'll probably have no problem winning. My neighbor worked the polls like that for a borough council write-in campaign, and got more votes than a guy on the ballot.
    I'll have to see who all files petitions. As of now it is not looking to be a hugely competitive race, but it is too early to tell.

I've been walking around for a bit, but I may have picked the wrong part of the township to go around for this today. There's practically no one home and those who are largely can't sign. Got one signatory on a democratic petition but my personal (D) party affiliation and inability to cross file for this scratched a few names off the list of people who can sign. I had nearly enough completely ready to sign for me today that can't, due to the restrictions on how one can file and petition.

I do not understand why this position, which has completely non-political job duties, does not allow for cross-filing. However, I have to live with the reality of that and, once I am legally able (very soon), I'll start circulating a petition to run as an independent. I will get on the ballot that way and rely on my personal ground game and that of my volunteer supporters to make my case for the election.

The planning for that push is going to be much more thorough. I'll be unable to make the major-party primary ballot due to my later than ideal decision to jump into this race, but that's okay.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I'll have to see who all files petitions. As of now it is not looking to be a hugely competitive race, but it is too early to tell.

I've been walking around for a bit, but I may have picked the wrong part of the township to go around for this today. There's practically no one home and those who are largely can't sign. Got one signatory on a democratic petition but my personal (D) party affiliation and inability to cross file for this scratched a few names off the list of people who can sign. I had nearly enough completely ready to sign for me today that can't, due to the restrictions on how one can file and petition.

I do not understand why this position, which has completely non-political job duties, does not allow for cross-filing. However, I have to live with the reality of that and, once I am legally able (very soon), I'll start circulating a petition to run as an independent. I will get on the ballot that way and rely on my personal ground game and that of my volunteer supporters to make my case for the election.

The planning for that push is going to be much more thorough. I'll be unable to make the major-party primary ballot due to my later than ideal decision to jump into this race, but that's okay.
    I'm not sure if you've given up on the idea of getting on the primary ballot as major-party candidate, but if you still want to try to file today you might see if your county's election services office will give you a "walking list" for registered voters in your area. That's a list of registered voters sorted by street address. I think they're required to give it to nominated candidates, it might be at their discretion for persons who haven't filed yet but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you do file to get on the ballot be sure to also file your original and duplicate Ethics Commission financial disclosure statements with the appropriate offices.

Best wishes to you whatever you do.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I'm not sure if you've given up on the idea of getting on the primary ballot as major-party candidate, but if you still want to try to file today you might see if your county's election services office will give you a "walking list" for registered voters in your area. That's a list of registered voters sorted by street address. I think they're required to give it to nominated candidates, it might be at their discretion for persons who haven't filed yet but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you do file to get on the ballot be sure to also file your original and duplicate Ethics Commission financial disclosure statements with the appropriate offices.

Best wishes to you whatever you do.
    I was thinking of that, but there's no way I can get off from my full-time job today to do so. Otherwise I absolutely would, and I should have picked that up yesterday really.

I'm not terribly concerned about missing the major-party primary ballot, since the office is non-political anyway.

I've got that disclosure form mostly completed, but I have to call to see if I need to list student loan debts on it or if that's an exempted disclosure item.

One benefit I'll have from doing an independent petition is that, given the longer petitioning period, I can get a longer list of people if I desire. I can review the petitions filed for major-party candidates and push to double (or more) their total collected signatures. I'll go down and review those filed petitions tomorrow and see if I want to set such a goal or not.

Good luck with your run. What will your duties entail should you win?

(Lehigh County)

Should've updated this a while back. For a number of reasons I ended up choosing not to file and run this year. Now to just figure out how to edit my signature line again & remove the link to this thread.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Should've updated this a while back. For a number of reasons I ended up choosing not to file and run this year. Now to just figure out how to edit my signature line again & remove the link to this thread.
    Sorry to hear it. Please don't be a stranger here.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.