Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Suppressor Exploded!- Update with Silencerco response

*Manufacturer response below* Was shooting my Omega this weekend and the suppressor exploded. I shot 177rds through it, then BLAM! The baffle stack shot down range (15yds) and lodged into the rubber backing. The baffle stack was on fire!

I inspected the baffles and I don't see any baffle strikes. The only thing I can think of is the ammunition is over-pressured. FYI- I was shooting Independence XM193 (Lot# FC16A001-161). Waiting for Silencerco to open so I can start the process of sending it in for inspection and hopefully, a new suppressor.

Could this be user error? Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

IMG_0435 (768x1024).jpgIMG_0434 (768x1024).jpg

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for those pictures!

From the looks of it, that is not something we can repair. But what I would like to do is replace it for you.

If you will send me the FFL and SOT of the dealer you want it to go to, I can get a form 3 started for you right away.

I also would like to get your shipping address, so that I can send you a shipping label from fedex to get that Omega back to us.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

WOW! Awesome customer service. Lifetime Silencerco customer from here on out!
    Last edited by Happy.C; March 28th, 2016 at 01:54 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Suppressor Exploded!

I have no idea but that is some weird damage. Looks like gas erosion. That can looks thin as heck and 4 different colors. Were you shooting auto? I see a lot of brass. I would assume it would take a strike to eject the baffle stack like that but not sure.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have no idea but that is some weird damage. Looks like gas erosion. That can looks thin as heck and 4 different colors. Were you shooting auto? I see a lot of brass. I would assume it would take a strike to eject the baffle stack like that but not sure.
    Not shooting full auto. The body is titanium (not sure if that makes a difference) and the can is rated to .300WM.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Good point on the amount of brass. If that brass wasn't mine I would retake the photo without it in the background. I wouldn't want Silencerco to think I caused it to overheat, although the color patterns already look like heat had a role.

(Northampton County)

My HALO may be a POS but I changed the colors on it with heat years ago. I know it won't do what that thing did. And I know it's thicker metal.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

You would think titanium would stand up to just about anything. I hope Silencerco comes back to you with a finding that it is a design flaw or some other fault in the device! Good luck.

(Bucks County)

User error is usually limited to it becoming lose from the barrel and excessive build up from not cleaning. Contact and return to Silencerco as I'm sure they will be very interested.

(Luzerne County)

Just curious but can they just exchange the damaged silencer for another? Being an NFA item and all.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

Holy sheet! Glad you're ok. I imagine they will take care of you.

Did you have any oil or liquid in the can?

I do believe they can replace a destroyed one for warranty work. I'm not sure if they have to use the same serial number. When I sent my 762sdn to AAC, they sent me a UPS label & I dropped it at a location. They sent it back to my house when finished (signature required of course).

(Bucks County)

I too sent one back for repair but the OP seems to have passed the 'repair' exit many miles ago. Not sure how its handled in these cases but please keep us posted because I'm interested.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast