Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: S&W Combat Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    The K frame .357 magnums were designed around the use of 158 grain bullets and things were fine. When they started coming out with the 125 and 110 grain bullets the models started developing the issue of the barrel cracking near the forcing cone. The most rearward part of the barrel. This issue never surfaced until the advent of the lighter weight bullets being push faster than the 158's.

The K frames were a smaller more lite weight .357 compared to the larger N frame .357's. This made them a lighter in weight and a less bulky package to carry around. This did not come without compromise. It was fairly common knowledge, even back then. That while the N frames could handle a healthy diet of .357 whereas the K frames were best used by practicing with .38 specials and occasionally shooting a few magnums through them. A steady diet of magnums through the K frames would cause the to loosen up much quicker than the larger N frames.

In the 80's S&W addressed this problem by discontinuing the K frame .357's for the slightly more beefy L frame which has no problem with the lite weight bullets and can withstand a more steady diet of .357's before loosening up. This started with the models 586 and 581 then shortly after the 681 and 686 which is still in production.
    Thank you.

So can the new models such as the 686 handle large amounts of magnum loads or is it advisable to run .38 special for the most part?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Thank you.

So can the new models such as the 686 handle large amounts of magnum loads or is it advisable to run .38 special for the most part?
    Any revolver will loosen up quicker if you continuously pound magnums through it. The 686's will do well, but they hold up longer if you shoot mostly .38's through them. When a revolver loosens up it is nothing that can't be fixed. Think of it as a tune-up. Mostly issues with endshake and timing that S&W or any competent gunsmith can fix.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Any revolver will loosen up quicker if you continuously pound magnums through it. The 686's will do well, but they hold up longer if you shoot mostly .38's through them. When a revolver loosens up it is nothing that can't be fixed. Think of it as a tune-up. Mostly issues with endshake and timing that S&W or any competent gunsmith can fix.

Great info.

Be a shame to not shoot it.
    Great guns they are.

(Crawford County)

I would add that the light weight magnums would flame cut the top strap, leaving a visible line. If you look at model 327 Smiths, you will observe a stainless guard in this location. I have never seen a top strap cut through, I believe that it can weaken the frame at that location.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Cop View Post
    I would add that the light weight magnums would flame cut the top strap, leaving a visible line. If you look at model 327 Smiths, you will observe a stainless guard in this location. I have never seen a top strap cut through, I believe that it can weaken the frame at that location.
    flame cutting is self limiting. it will/could cut so much out but then reaches a point where it no longer cuts. early heavy caliber guns came from the factory with a "thumb nail" groove cut into them, so they would not flame cut. later after the advent of decent heat treating, the thumb nail cut was demanded no longer necessary.

the 3 series guns are aluminum, and would cut themselves in half if given the opportunity. the flame guard is required on them.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    flame cutting is self limiting. it will/could cut so much out but then reaches a point where it no longer cuts. early heavy caliber guns came from the factory with a "thumb nail" groove cut into them, so they would not flame cut. later after the advent of decent heat treating, the thumb nail cut was demanded no longer necessary.

the 3 series guns are aluminum, and would cut themselves in half if given the opportunity. the flame guard is required on them.
    Absolutely correct. The issue of flame cutting is blown way out of proportion.

(Philadelphia County)

OMG!

Last night a 19-3 2.5 nib sold on GB for $3,025.00

I am glad I have NOT shot mine. I have the box, papers & tools. Now I just need two big spenders who are willing to go mano a mano for a few rounds of bidding.

You can buy a really nice Python for that amount of money!
    Last edited by fimore; January 25th, 2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fimore View Post
    OMG!

Last night a 19-3 2.5 nib sold on GB for $3,025.00

I am glad I have NOT shot mine. I have the box, papers & tools. Now I just need two big spenders who are willing to go mano a mano for a few rounds of bidding.

That's nuts! I have the same revolver only with factory combat grips no box or papers with very minor and I mean minor wear. The Model 19 has been steadily going up in price for the last 3 years I am confident that I could easily bring $1200.00 for mine due to condition as well as the factory combat grips.

Beautiful gun. I have a 2 1/2" 19-5. While not as desireable as the older pinned n recessed gun, a fantastic revolver none the less. As far as shooting your's. Absolutely. Thats what they were made to do. Jmho
    P.S. Even rare classic cars are driven occasionally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast