Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Whats better ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Whats better ?

Alright so after hunting this past saturday i was rethinking some of my equipment. i was thinking mostly about what kind of ammo i was using, in this case it was buckshot. Im hunting with a mossberg 535 12ga shotgun w. red dot sight, i have a 24"(?) barrel with a modified choke. my question is is using 00Bk the best idea for me? at 50 yards i was getting 1 maybe 2 hits in the killzone. i know it usually takes 3 for a clean kill. so would it be a good idea if maybe i changed and tried 4Bk? i was just wondering as im not really used to hunting deer with a shotgun using buckshot. Thanks for all the help/advice.

Also whats the average range you guys take deer at? i never got a chance to take a shot at a deer with a shotgun but i cant imagine trying to hit one at 100 yards.

Also i was thinking of shooting slugs out of my 535 but im not sure that its too accurate, do most of you guys use buck or slugs and also do you use scopes or iron sights? also whats a good fairly-priced slug gun?
    Last edited by BandanaBandit1; December 14th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Whats better ?

haha you won't get many responses since Buckshot is very limited in legal usage and for a good reason... its shitty to use on a deer at anything more then archery ranges due to the pattern and very easy to miss vitals even with a good shot. its only legal in some areas because of its lethal range being very short (even though you still have the 150 yard rule)

switch to slugs if you want to humanely kill a deer at any range further then you can spit
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    haha you won't get many responses since Buckshot is very limited in legal usage and for a good reason... its shitty to use on a deer at anything more then archery ranges due to the pattern and very easy to miss vitals even with a good shot. its only legal in some areas because of its lethal range being very short (even though you still have the 150 yard rule)

switch to slugs if you want to humanely kill a deer at any range further then you can spit
    agreed....Very agreed....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Monroe County)

Buckshot is only good to about 40 yards. Just remember you are responsible for all the pellets, you better be sure of what is behind your target because liability attaches to each one.

(Berks County)

skip the buckshot unless you are fairly close your not going to get a one shot kill, buckshot sucks for hunting.
    you can find used barrels at gun shows for under $100 and with good slugs and practice 100+ yard shots are possible.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    you do know buckshot is not legal to use in allegheny county right only slugs i think you need to read the regulations for allegheny county buckshot is only legal in se pa
    I was just about to say that but I was 45 minutes too slow apparently... lol Good catch jayjay... Rep sent and you are now the owner of 3 green squares... lol

Don't get caught in any county but a SE special regulation county with buckshot, the PGC will make your life a living heck if they see you... You can get a new slug barrel at a pretty good price and changing the barrel is simple and quick... Much cheaper than a citation and losing your hunting privileges and possibly your shotgun as well... A sabot round from a rifled barrel is pretty darn accurate, 2 inch groups at 100 yards isn't bad at all. Also, most slug barrels have a cantilevered scope rail attached to the barrel so you can mount a scope, sight it in, remove it, and don't have to sight it in again... Just 1 quick shot to assure it is still zeroed in and you're good to go...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Montgomery County)

Slugs are the way to go.

(Erie County)

If I hunt a shotgun only area I use saboted slugs in my Mossy 500 with a smooth bore slug barrel and iron sights. It is very accurate and has plenty of knock power at 100 yds. Probably even at 150 yds. Keep in mind a one ounce chunk of lead makes a big hole.

I can shoot about 6-8 in groups at about 50 yrds with a smooth bore 20ga with just the two beads using rifled slugs. If you gun has a ribbed barrel you can pick up a set of sights that screw onto the rib. This would be a cheap alternative and make your gun pretty accurate out to 50 maybe 75 yrds. Just use the rifled slugs not the sabot slugs. A better option would be a rifled barrel with sabot slugs or an inline muzzleloader. I know guys that have killed deer with buck shot but they have to be really close. I would rather use my bow than buck shot.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.