Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Angry Re: pig hunts at Exotic Island Hunts

Quote Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
    You can kill pigs at will.

Anybody know what the story is with the lawsuit? Why would you want them protected?

Harley
    You would want them protected if you were an animal rights, gun hating, sportsman bashing, tree hugging, hippy activist who thinks that everything on earth has the same rights and feelings as a human. Morons!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: pig hunts at Exotic Island Hunts

Well, thats really what I thought about it too.

But, how much of an idiot do you have to be, to not see the harm an invasive species does? Do you not care about the rest of the animals that were living there in the first place?

How do these hippies get their money to afford lawsuits like that?

(York County)

well i went a head and booked some time to hunt some boar on the island for December..don't know what I'm hunting with yet.i went to look at a few handguns and a shotgun today..might bring my g 22 along with a mossy 500 or Remington 870.i really haven't decided between the two shotguns yet..

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

(Centre County)

I am wondering about the safe of ferral hogs. They eat any and everything. Thats why they were such disease careers until the arrival of the modern pork aggra-factory. Maybe these have been vacinated? Maybe you just have to cook them until they are well done? Anyone have any thoughts.... on this.

(Delaware County)

I am heading to the Island on Sunday, bringing along my father and a friend. We are all planning to take a Hog. I will bring along a camera and take some pics (as long as I remember).

Quote Originally Posted by centre county investor View Post
    I am wondering about the safe of ferral hogs. They eat any and everything. Thats why they were such disease careers until the arrival of the modern pork aggra-factory. Maybe these have been vacinated? Maybe you just have to cook them until they are well done? Anyone have any thoughts.... on this.
    Pigs cleanliness will depend on their habitat and the individual pig. Sometimes they stink like they're rotting and just FILTHY. Sometimes they're practically clean and don't small bad at all, it all just depends. I would NEVER eat ANY pork that wasn't cooked thoroughly; that includes domestic pigs.

To answer the original question, I imagine that a .40 S&W would kill a pig in the correct circumstances. I had to kill a charging feral hog with my .45 ACP out of my XD 45 Tactical. Trust me on this, you DON'T want to be in the position to have to do it. I fired 3 shots, 2 in the "hammer" fashion; the first one struck him in the head, the next one over the top. I fired a third that was a bit slower and he was already going down as it hit the side of his neck and clipped the heart. If you're not ready for close encounters and making shots when they really count, it's not time for you to go pig hunting.

I have hunted them with defender shotguns full of buckshot, dogs with pistols, dogs with knives, dogs with ties to capture them alive, and rifles. You must be VERY careful if you wound a hog. Typically they will try to flee, but if you have them cornered or injured they will EAT YOU ALIVE. Whether anybody wants to say it or not, pigs can kill you; they are ferocious when they are injured. The pig that charged me was shot by a friend that we thought had finished the job. As I got about 7 yards from him or so, he stood up and started to rush me. I wouldn't want to rely only on a lung shot on a pig, up close; it takes way too long to kill them, and if it felt inclined to rush you, it runs LOTS faster than you do. I've seen people shoot them in the shoulder plate (gristle/cartilage behind the shoulder) with .223 that did not completely penetrate the plate. I've seen .300 win mag deflected off of the plate, they still pass completely through, but it's so dang hard that it deflected the path of the bullet. With a pistol like a .40 or .45, I'd would be looking to take a head shot, or if you want to take a heart shot, it needs to be at an angle so that you do NOT pass through the shoulder plate. In my encounter I shot the pig with what I carry, Winchester Ranger T's. If you wanted to try to shoot through the shoulder plate, no doubt a hollow point won't do it, but if you're going for the head shot or none shoulder plate heart shot, I would say go with hollow points.

In terms of price, I think that's pretty freaking steep for a wild hog. Then again we have problems with them down here in Texas and as long as you don't damage a farmer's field or equipment, they'll usually let you kill as many as you want. Then it's no fun trying to haul all the pigs off. I'm talking about killing a dozen or more at a time. Just realize what you're getting into, and that pigs can be dangerous. Make your hits count, because if you have to shoot at them, you ARE in danger. Hope that helps and if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them for you.

(Philadelphia County)

How did the hunt go?

(Somerset County)

whats the name of that place you guys are talking about and some info? I would like to check if out for me and my dad.

(Centre County)

The place is called Exotic Island Hunts. It is run by Steve Mohr and his wife. Their season is almost over. Here is their site.

http://www.mohrswidowmaker.com/

We had a nice time last week. Not an overly challenging hunt, but an nice day hunting. I would recommend it to people want to take a young and /or an infirm hunter out. At $350 they are the lowest cost pig hunt I could find.

I hope to be picking up our pig which will be a combination of smoked and marinade injected from the butcher this weekend.

(Philadelphia County)

whens their season end??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast