Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: SLCFSA Rapid Fire Rule Change

The best way to eliminate a silly rule is to just kill it, not to replace it with a slightly less arbitrary and silly rule.

(Chester County)

Default Re: SLCFSA Rapid Fire Rule Change

Quote Originally Posted by range saftey officer View Post
    excellent point... I will personally take these points to the board of directors because this has very good values and it is some thing to consider. We do have range safety orientation and I have pointed out to members the range rules and they are posted at all ranges, when I see bad shooting practice . There response is they did not know the rules... They have to read the rules they are on the application [ they also get a copy] and sign there application stating they understood the rules at orientation . Example I went to the range last year shortly after sun set it was getting dark and there were people shooting at targets they could not see and they had there kids running around with no control. What do you do in that case? This is just some of the things I have seen and more. So when I see comments about the safety at this club I do get a bit upset. WE are trying very hard to make safety work but it's hard to do By the way these people were shooting as fast as they wanted to.....And I turned them in.....
    Except you are getting upset at people who also want the club to be safe, but who have a different idea of how to do it. Restricting rapid fire to once every three seconds does nothing for safety- people can be unsafe without shooting faster than three seconds. And as you've seen, just passing a rule does nothing to increase the safety of the range. You need the members to police it. But when they also disagree with a rule, that makes them much less likely to enforce it, because they disagree with it, or even because they have no idea how fast somebody is shooting. The rule is hard to enforce as written. That's what we need a reasonable rule that is easy to enforce. Such as this one:

1. Firing as fast as possible is not permitted on this range, especially after 3 rounds have been expended.
    2. Accurate rapid fire is permitted (except as prohibited in number 1), but will be under stricter scrutiny. Inaccurate rapid fire is prohibited. Inaccurate is defined as rounds that do not hit a target.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789