Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W new revolver drama

I'll preface this by saying: I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers. This is not a bashing thread.

So more than a month ago I bought a new model 649-5. I hand picked this model out of 9 different new stainless J-frames, all of which had significant issues (badly canted barrels, loose lock-up, sprung yokes, damaged f/c).

This New 649 was spitting copper at my face, and the cylinder was quite loose on a few chambers in full lock-up. I sent it back to S&W, on their dime. They had the gun for more than 3 weeks, and I just got it back today. I'm not sure what to think.

The trigger seems like it's been tuned. Repair sheet said that the forcing cone was cut and the cylinder was replaced. Okay. BUT---Now, the cylinder is loose on ALL FIVE CHAMBERS in full lock up. That's right, it was tighter when I sent it in for repairs, now it's a looser fit on all the chambers.

All the S&W's I've owned in the past were much tighter (rotational wiggle) in lockup. Some were welded to the frame feeling (old 5 screw pre-model 10). My Ruger GP100 is MUCH tighter in lockup than this 649.

Is this something I'll just have to accept? It's been a month now trying to get this addressed, I suppose S&W will just tell me that 'gun is now in spec'.

Am I just being overly picky? I'm tempted to just get a Sig P232 stainless as a pocket backup. But I like the 649. Any advice?

(Chester County)

Default Re: S&W new revolver drama

I've heard of QA problems with S&W in recent years, not only with the revolvers. That was a factor in my decision to stay away from the M&P line (for now).

Now, mind you, I know very little in terms of revolver quality.

Unfortunately, from what you've written, it sounds like this model has been plagued with issues. If all 9 you handled had issues, that'd throw warning flags in my mind too. IIWM, I'd dump the revolver and go with something proven to go bang on every shot like a subcompact glock or sig, especially for a CCW. But again, that's just me.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Chester County)

Go check out smith-wessonforum.com. They're revolvers are built pretty well. You will see a good amount of issues with their SD9/40 line, M&P Bodyguard 380, and M&P Shield 40 lines. S&W customer service is hit or miss.

(Philadelphia County)

This is why I wouldn't buy a S&W or Colt made after the 1980s. IMHO they put so much work into Pistols that Revolvers are on the back burner. All I read any more is bad things about newer Smiths.

If I were in your shoes I would sell the new S&W and look into a Ruger [new or used] or older S&W.

(Westmoreland County)

I'd try it out. If it spits at you send it back.

ETA: I'm not a fan of selling something bad and passing my troubles to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'd try it out. If it spits at you send it back.

ETA: I'm not a fan of selling something bad and passing my troubles to someone else.
    I hear what you're saying. I wouldn't sell a gun that's actually outright unsafe to rely on. I'll shoot it and see what it does. At this point, I'm thinking I'm just being nostalgic about the fit and finish of revolvers from a different generation of craftsmen.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I hear what you're saying. I wouldn't sell a gun that's actually outright unsafe to rely on. I'll shoot it and see what it does. At this point, I'm thinking I'm just being nostalgic about the fit and finish of revolvers from a different generation of craftsmen.
    No doubt, I like the ideas behind the new S&W's. But other than my Model 500, I just can't find the desire to purchase the new revolvers when there are so many nice pre lock examples still in circulation.

In my experience for some reason Smiths are a bit loose. More so than Ruger for sure, but the overall quality is far better IMO. All of my Smiths are a bit loose in varying degrees, but they function fine.

I would say so long as you're no longer shaving the bullets I would put a few hundred through it, and take it from there.
    FUCK BIDEN

I'm impressed they picked up the shipping.
    Last S&W revolver I sent back was at my cost to get it to them and it went back twice, in a row.
    That gets expensive in a hurry.
    I was the original owner.

(Bucks County)

Get a set of spark plug gauges and measure it. In the past a "good" revolver would be under 0.005 in. 15 years ago Smiths were bashed when they were averaging 0.006 but I think the "factory spec" is now 0.012!.

While it seems counter intuitive a larger gap does not always mean there is a problem or you will get lower velocity. Shoot it and see. But if you get copper shaving like you posted there is a problem. Lead from a hot loaded .357 is to be expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast