Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: PGCA / Pennsylvania Gun Collector's Association

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    These PGCA threads remind me of Obama voters who blame it all on Bush and then vote Obama in again expecting things to improve.
    EM: You are correct in a way. If the PGCA naysayers are members, then they should step-up and run for the Board Of Directors. If there were enough new faces with the same agenda there could be change. The reason there haven't been the BOD elections, which has been negatively commented on, is due to the fact there aren't enough candidates running to fill all the positions.
    If people want change in any organization they have to get off their apathetic posteriors and get involved. Just boycotting the show will not help. At least unless those people are numerous and repeatedly express their actions, in writing.

Yes PGCA has issues and those should be addressed. But until members get involved they will not be.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HSMaxim View Post
    What a great way for certain people to get free stuff and to hawk their ill gotten wares.
    (Yes, I'm talking in particular about Phil "Goods for Guns" Dacey, President of PGCA.)

No thanks, I'll stick to the small firehall shows until the crooks are rooted out of the PGCA.
    In speaking with Mr. Dacey this weekend (We frequently converse), This very subject came up as I wanted to inform him of some of the feedback I get. His reply was: "I haven't been involved with a gun buy-back for 11 years since I retired." I do know his involvement was part of his assigned duties while with PGHPD. As for the supposedly huge numbers of firearms he took out of the buy-back bins; he'd heard that rumour before. In all the time the buybacks were happening, he was able to get ONE firearm. A very nice Luger that came in. Ask him to tell you the story personally about that sometime. I don't have the time nor the inclination to go into it here.

As for any other issues other buyers might have with him, my suggestion is they take that up with him personally at the show.

Oh and for the record, I'm one of PGCAs biggest supporters. I'm also one their most ardent and vocal critics. I however go straight to the directors and express my opinions and ideas. I don't just piss and moan about them on the internet.

(Westmoreland County)

This past weekend was likely my last PGCA event. It is a shame it has come to this after 15 years as a member. Simply put, without taking up any of the hoopla that surrounds the show, etc, the main factor has been location.

I originally joined when the show spanned two levels at the old Greengate Mall location. Those were the days! It was almost like a Middle East weapons bazaar, without all the dust and foreign speaking patrons. I'd have commented without all the strange smells, but I can assure you, at ALL gun shows, you get strange smells.

However, without them knowing where they're going and continually on the move, I've simply decided I will finally let my membership lapse.

I've enjoyed the memories but time to move on.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    In speaking with Mr. Dacey this weekend (We frequently converse), This very subject came up as I wanted to inform him of some of the feedback I get. His reply was: "I haven't been involved with a gun buy-back for 11 years since I retired." I do know his involvement was part of his assigned duties while with PGHPD. As for the supposedly huge numbers of firearms he took out of the buy-back bins; he'd heard that rumour before. In all the time the buybacks were happening, he was able to get ONE firearm. A very nice Luger that came in. Ask him to tell you the story personally about that sometime. I don't have the time nor the inclination to go into it here.

As for any other issues other buyers might have with him, my suggestion is they take that up with him personally at the show.

Oh and for the record, I'm one of PGCAs biggest supporters. I'm also one their most ardent and vocal critics. I however go straight to the directors and express my opinions and ideas. I don't just piss and moan about them on the internet.

LIAR! LIAR! GUN BUYBACK PRESIDENT PANTS ON FIRE!!!

Buyback program takes guns off Pittsburgh streets

By Rick Wills
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mike Hartle decided it was time to get rid of the two handguns he acquired several years ago to protect himself.

"I have two small kids, ages 4 and 6. I'm just worried about them. They are at the age where they are curious about everything," said Hartle, 39, of Ohio Township.

Hartle was one of dozens of people who showed up Saturday at Pittsburgh's old No. 1 Firehouse on the Boulevard of the Allies to exchange their guns for Giant Eagle gift cards.

By the end of the day, Goods for Guns of Allegheny County had collected 75 guns — an odd assortment of Saturday Night Specials, imposing rifles, even antique black powder and breaktop revolvers.

"You see some of these guns for sale for $1 in Sears catalogs from 1901," said Pittsburgh police Sgt. Tony Viscomi, a Zone 3 officer who has volunteered at the event for years. Yesterday's was the 16th annual.

Under the program, each handgun netted $50 in grocery gift certificates. Long guns brought a $25 gift certificate. Free gun locks and handouts on gun safety were available.

Tim Kanouff of Baden heard about the gun turn-in on television early yesterday.

"It's a great program," said Kanouff, a target-shooting enthusiast and gun collector who turned in a .380 automatic. "This weapon is just no longer safe, and this is a great way to get rid of it and get a little bit back for it."

Under the program, those turning in guns are not asked to identify themselves and are not asked any questions, said Philip Dacey, president of Goods for Guns, which is funded by donations from foundations and individuals.

Dacey does not view the event as anti-gun. "I am a gun guy. I used to go hunting and liked shooting targets," he said.

One gun turned in yesterday was found in the snow, Dacey said. In the past, girlfriends of convicted felons have turned in guns.

"We had one woman who brought in her boyfriend's backpack — with a gun, crack cocaine and $3,800 in cash," Viscomi said.

People still interested in turning in a gun to Goods for Guns of Allegheny County can e-mail goodsforguns@verizon.net.
    *Where have I heard THAT line of CRAP before?

The above news story was FORTUNATELY quoted in it's entirety here on PAFOA. The original link is bad now.

But in case anyone thinks that was "made up", here's another article about the Pittsburgh gun buyback from about the same time frame.

He may not be the president NOW (although I'm still looking) but he is not the "distant memory" he is claiming.

EDIT: OK, I'm done looking. I can't find any info that is available for free on the
    "Goods for Guns of Allegheny County" program regarding who is currently involved.
    While it may appear I have a personal vendetta against Mr. Dacey, I do not - I simply call BS on his claims of "un-involvement".
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 10th, 2015 at 01:39 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

He may not be the president NOW (although I'm still looking) but he is not the "distant memory" he is claiming.
    Come on, EM. Sure, he admits to getting at least one nice Luger from a gun buy back he was "forced" to host but that's it. All the other valuable pieces that likely crossed his buyback tables over the years were surely destroyed. And sure, I provided proof that he passed fake documents but that's just a problem with one customer.

(Westmoreland County)

LIAR! LIAR! GUN BUYBACK PRESIDENT PANTS ON FIRE!!!

*Where have I heard THAT line of CRAP before?

The above news story was FORTUNATELY quoted in it's entirety here on PAFOA. The original link is bad now.

But in case anyone thinks that was "made up", here's another article about the Pittsburgh gun buyback from about the same time frame.

EDIT: OK, I'm done looking. I can't find any info that is available for free on the
    "Goods for Guns of Allegheny County" program regarding who is currently involved.
    While it may appear I have a personal vendetta against Mr. Dacey, I do not - I simply call BS on his claims of "un-involvement".
    EM: Ahhh Interesting link you found there. I'll have to remind Mr. Dacey of this next time we chat.

And like you, I have no personal dog in the fight, unlike BearPack (who has a business issue with Mr. Dacey)
    I'm merely passing off information as I comes to me. My concern is with PGCA and it's future. Not any one particular person.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123