Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Knight's Gun Gripe

Ok, income tax return has been in the bank for a couple weeks now. I've divvied up things to catch up on bills, buy a new fridge, parts for repairs on the van for the upcoming inspection, a little into savings/investments, and a little for each family member.

So, I have a few hundred dollars to spend on myself. And as usual it goes to a gun since I only get a chance to buy one or two a year. In the past couple weeks in my travels for work I've stopped at every damn gun shop between Somerset and Brookville - revolvers are damn near impossible to find. The most I could find at a single shop was 6 to choose from. But there are display case up cases of bottom feeders. Then, on top of it all they are wanting a mint for the damn things - even for Taurus and Charter Arms. The few new S&W's around are closer to MSRP than retail, and the couple used ones are at new retail prices.

All I want is a damn J or K frame sized gun under 4". And the used handgun market in PA sucks ass. Do people retain their handguns for life here? The only thing I miss about Florida is the fact that guns shops and pawn shops are chuck full of used handguns, at real used prices.

And if that isn't enough, my alternate choices of H&R/NEF single shot rifles/shotguns, a Mossberg 500(specific model), or the couple semi-auto's handguns I want are damn near impossible to find, or find anywhere close retail prices.

However the cases and racks are chuck full of damn bolt guns, expensive pump/auto shotguns, and a metric shit ton of 1911's and Glocks. Seriously, I've never in my life seen so many 1911's and Glocks in the gun cases. God forbid anyone want anything else.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Knight's Gun Gripe

the burdens of life in a civilized society.

I have to assume the nearest shop that you'd really want to spend money at is about an hour away?

(Lancaster County)

Did you consider getting a sprrdhawk44?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    the burdens of life in a civilized society.

I have to assume the nearest shop that you'd really want to spend money at is about an hour away?
    I do have a couple preferred local shops, but they are pretty much hole-in-the-wall places. I have stopped in a couple larger places in my travels for work, but haven't made any specific gun-runs yet to any BIG gun shops.

From Brookville(west/central PA) I've been down south to Somerset, west to Grove City, and southwest to Delmont in the past couple weeks. And I've hit every shop in between(within the corridor of transit). I'm hoping to receive some workorders for the DuBois/Clearfield area soon to justify hitting Grices(shutters at the thought), Bob's, and Belding & Mull.

I'm sure Grices will have something, but I'll probably starve to death at one of their display cases before I get service.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

The guns at the top of your list have recently changed from being expendable to people realizing they are the guns that should be kept. I have noticed it myself over the last few years. They are also guns I used to look for first because they were reasonably priced and good quality. The best bang for the buck in other words.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I do have a couple preferred local shops, but they are pretty much hole-in-the-wall places. I have stopped in a couple larger places in my travels for work, but haven't made any specific gun-runs yet to any BIG gun shops.

From Brookville(west/central PA) I've been down south to Somerset, west to Grove City, and southwest to Delmont in the past couple weeks. And I've hit every shop in between(within the corridor of transit). I'm hoping to receive some workorders for the DuBois/Clearfield area soon to justify hitting Grices(shutters at the thought), Bob's, and Belding & Mull.

I'm sure Grices will have something, but I'll probably starve to death at one of their display cases before I get service.
    kinda why I figured you weren't happy.

my lgs is outstanding, after that, there's one that doesn't totally suck.

after that, youre screwed.

You need to come to the Piggly-Wiggly in Crivitz, it has one of the best selections I've seen here in Wisconsin. ARs, AKs, pistols, revolvers, from Hi-Point and Cobra to Kimbers and Colts. Need a S&W500? Got it. A Cricket, got it. If they don't have it they'll try and find it.

This place truely is the ATF as a convienence store. You walk in the Ace Hardware side and the first thing you run into it the firearm department. A quick glance to the right reveals a drunkard's dream and just down the front is the service desk selling smokes.

I know, not a lot of help but there is the self-satifaction of rubbing it in.

Oh, and they tend to have .22 in stock.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Westmoreland County)

ScotsGuards, a member on here usually has some nice S&W revolvers. I've seen him at gun shows. He's based out of Ligonier, not sure if he has a proper brick and mortar shop. You could PM him.

Bullseye gun vault in New Alexandria gets some nice K frames in from time to time. I'd call first unless it's along your way.

(Erie County)

Did you post this on Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    ScotsGuards, a member on here usually has some nice S&W revolvers. I've seen him at gun shows. He's based out of Ligonier, not sure if he has a proper brick and mortar shop. You could PM him.

Bullseye gun vault in New Alexandria gets some nice K frames in from time to time. I'd call first unless it's along your way.
    ^^^This^^^

At the Harrisburg show in December he had a bunch of nice smiths. Prices were pretty good as well. I wasn't really in the market for a revolver at the time, but he probably had the best selection and pricing at that show. Might be worth a PM and a road trip.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast