Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Barrel length on super redhawk

I'm looking to sell my taurus m44 with 8.375" barrel and purchase a new ruger super redhawk in 44 mag soon. I'm trying to decide on barrel length of either 7.5" or 9.5". I'll be occasionally hunting with this and max range at 50 yards. I won't be putting a scope on it. It will mainly be a backup to my rifle. I was leaning towards the 9.5" but now I'm not sure the added length and weight will help more than hurt. Any opinions?

Default Re: Barrel length on super redhawk

I cannot offer any valuable information on the 7.5" barrel, but I can tell you that my 9.5" Super RedHawk is ridiculously easy to be very accurate with at 20+ yards. It is not difficult to place a bullseye shot with some careful shooting.

For bonus, a picture of my girlfriend shooting the RedHawk with scope attached.

(Montgomery County)

A little help with the girlfriends stance and she w I uld be more comfortable with shooting...

I have owned the SRH in .454 with a 7.5 inch barrel and it was a gret revolver. I also grew up shooting a 9.5 inch .44 mag SRH and I prefer the 7.5 inch tube. The shorter barrel is easier to carry, yet for this role yiu may be carrying the wrong gun. If you are carrying a rifle to hunt with use that to harvest game. A four inch barreled .357 magnum would fill a better role protecting you from the unexpected.

If you are already carrying a rifle to hunt with you will have to put it somewhere to use the proposed revolver to harvest game. That means you now have a possibly loaded weapon out of your control, which is not optimal. Furthermore, personal defense is still a relevant concern going to and from the field as well as while hunting. If you want to harvest with a bigbore revolver, carry it as your primary and carry something a bit more suited for the defense role as a back up. You can get a great chest rig from simply rugged holsters for a big bore revolver.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I have a Redhawk .44 mag with the 7.5 barrel. I seriously doubt the average person will be able to see a difference in accuracy with iron sights between the 7.5 and 9.5. Bench rested with a scope maybe. One day I shot a 6 in group at 100 yrds offhand standing with my 7.5 with iron sights.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Nowhere in the OP does it say anything about personal prtection to and from the field.

They stated that it would be back up to their rifle. Which IMO means that it would be used for taking game.

As far as a gun out of your control... How many hunter sit their guns up against a tree to take a piss? I'm sure more then 50% of them do. It isn't like the rifle is going to jump up and say see ya and run off in the clear blue yonder. Saftey on and your fine. Keep it in your sight, your fine.

For your use the 7.5" would be my choice. I am hoping Ruger makes the SRH Tokat in .44mag in the future.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Barrel length on super redhawk

That's a nice scope. She shouldn't carry her phone so close to it though. Wait, what happened? I got dizzy for a minute there! Where am I?

(Bucks County)

go 7.5 for the barrel. had one. it balanced nice. get the feeling that 9.5 would be too nose heavy to be enjoyable.

the 7.5 wasn't bad.

(Luzerne County)

If you are planning on carrying it as a back up, then the 7.5" barrel is the one you want. Actually, if would get a Super Blackhawk or even a Redhawk in a shorter barrel if you are looking for a back up gun.

I have the 9.5" Super Redhawk, but I use this as my primary hunting firearm. I also have a scope on my SRH.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    That's a nice scope. She shouldn't carry her phone so close to it though. Wait, what happened? I got dizzy for a minute there! Where am I?
    Calm down, you'll have an accidental discharge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast