Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
You can transport guns to a range or organized event, or hunt in NJ legally. You must, however, drive directly to and from the event or range, transporting the gun(s) in a similar manner as if you were under FOPA guidelines - I have the ammo and mags in a separate, locked container and the gun cases are locked. No stopping to visit or catch a burger - getting gas might be iffy.

The added caveat is no mags over 15 rounds capacity (6 in a shotgun). They tried to reduce the mag capacity to 10 rounds last year but Christie vetoed it. The penalties for having over-capacity mags in the PRNJ can be very stiff - jail time and big fines.

Hollow points may be transported legally to/from but used only at a range - frankly, I wouldn't risk it. I also would not take a PA legal AR to NJ, they have to have a pinned/welded muzzle brake and a fixed stock.

I've shot with a relative a few times in NJ but met him at the range each time and then came directly back to PA (I did stop once for gas on the way - it's cheaper over there...). On one occasion, there was a LEO in the range parking lot when I arrived. He saw me carry my rifle and handgun cases into the range and also saw my PA license plate. He said nothing to me - probably was one who was pro 2A. I would get a time-stamped receipt from the range in case you get stopped on the way back and the cop sees something in the back of the vehicle - I have an SUV.

The funny thing is that my relative shot with me at DCFS, about 2 years ago, and applied for membership that day - I don't go to shoot in the PRNJ anymore, he comes here...

Let me add - I am not an lawyer and this is, in no way, legal advice. I've read the NJ statutes on it and the above is my interpretation.
^^^ pretty good synopsis

Applicable NJ statute to be considered wrt transportation/possession:

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;
g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances