Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny LTCF Renewal Notes

My LTCF was up for renewal this year. Not that Allegheny has been known to have long standing problems issuing but I decided to minimize my risk and apply 90 days prior to my previous LTCF expiring. I got this 90 day time from the Allegheny LTCF website. EDIT 2015-07-31, the website has changed and no longer lists any time frame for renewal.

http://www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html

I placed my application in the Mail on Feb 3rd. I got my yellow card on Feb 10th with a Feb 9th date on it.

EDIT 2015-05-05 Now Allegheny issues licences on the spot. You can walk in with proper ID, $20, and all the required info and walk out with a LTCF.

However a few days after I had mailed in my renewal but before I got my yellow card I got their renewal reminder in the mail and it stated that you could apply no earlier than 60 days. Even though I applied well before this 60 day limit they still approved my application.

Getting to the office from the street is easy. You DO NOT have to go in the main courthouse entrance and go through a security screening. Enter through the iron gates on the north side of the building leading into the courtyard. The door to the office will be on your left just before the courtyard. You could also enter through the iron gates on the south side of the building and walk through the courtyard.

This Google maps link shows you the location of the north gate with Street View: NOTE: 2016-08-18 I have already had to update the google maps link once. So it may not be accurate in the future.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4391...7i13312!8i6656

NOTE: 2016-08-18 I have already had to update the google maps link once. So it may not be accurate in the future. The link above should look like this:

courthouse.JPG

I can't really comment much on parking as I work downtown and have a lease. When I picked up my first license in 2010 I parked at the First Avenue Parking Lot & T Station and took the T to Steel Plasa. I think I paid about $5 for under an hour of parking. This was five years ago so YMMV. You can also park on the north shore relatively cheap, $8 I think, and take the T over for free.

I first tried to pick up my application around 11:15 AM last week and there where at least 12 people waiting, I didn't have that much time to wait. Today I went in at about 8:10 AM and there where two people at the desk in front of me. One was just getting his photo taken the other had no cash and had to leave. I was there less than 10 minutes. Again YMMV.

Now a couple of notes on the application.

None of my references where called, one lived in Ohio the other in Allegheny county.

I listed N/A for all questions regarding my employer.

There is prominent signage in the office that only the listed forms of ID will be accepted and ID like Passports and EBT cards are explicitly not accepted. This list corresponds from what I can tell to the list on the website.

The new licensees are paper laminated with your photo. The photo is shitty it makes me look like I have rosacea and a pink shirt. In reality I have a decent complexion and wore a dark blue shirt. I think the previous licensees that where printed directly onto a drivers license type plastic card looked more official. The new ones look like something a high school kid could create at home. Because of this I think I will keep my UT permit when I travel to Ohio even though I will not have to after next month due to a change in Ohio law.

If you have any questions post them here and I will do my best to answer them. I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 18th, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny LTCF Renewal Notes

I just found out about the on site issuance today.. I guess I will go 60 days before mine expired. Gonna wear my best suit too.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ewrski View Post
    I just found out about the on site issuance today.. I guess I will go 60 days before mine expired. Gonna wear my best suit too.
    I'm going to try at 90 days. But I work downtown so worst case is I waste some time.

As I noted earlier I did get mine via the old mail in application when it was postmarked near the 90 day mark.

I cannot find anything in the law that states how early you can renew.
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 19th, 2015 at 04:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I would like to add to this. I just stopped off and got my ltcf for the first time in like 20 minutes. The longest part was filling out the form.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by drksilenc View Post
    I would like to add to this. I just stopped off and got my ltcf for the first time in like 20 minutes. The longest part was filling out the form.
    I'm betting you can still bring down a completed form to help speed up the process. The form is still available on the sheriffs website. It's also a fillable PDF so you can type everything out and then print it (Acrobat Reader will not allow you to save, Pro will). This might be helpful for those of us (myself included) with less than stellar handwriting.

(Allegheny County)

I downloaded the form and used Pro to type into it before printing it out as QuackXP said. Was able to get in right away with no waiting. The whole process took less than 1/2 hour including walking from and to the parking garage ($6 for 30 minutes!). Much easier than the old yellow cards.. The deputy at the office said that about 25% of applications and cards were lost in email and mail so that was them main reason they went to on-site approval. Definite decrease in license quality, I look like an old man (but that may just be age)
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for this info everyone. My license expires at the end of January 2016. I wasn't sure how early I can go renew but 60 days is perfect. Thanks!

Kudos to the Allegheny sheriff for making this a much more pleasant experience. When I was last here 5 years ago, the people doing the permits weren't pleasant at all.

Today they were all smiles and friendly, and the office is in a place where I didn't have to disarm.

It took < 10 minutes, to boot.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.