Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Arbitrary LTCF Procedures ?

So, I go to Montco Sheriffs to renew my LTCF today which was issued in Phila. I live in Montco now. It expires in July.

The application instructions say that renewals of applications from another county will be treated as new application. I go through the process of the police check and pay the fee a week ago.

When I tell the guy at the counter today that I am renewing a Philly license. He sees it does not expire until July

Him: "Oh, sorry, i can't do this. It's too soon".
    Me: "OK, when is the earliest I can apply for it?"
    Him: "I don't know, maybe a month or 2?"
    Me: "It does not say anywhere how early you can renew"
    Him;"Come back in May or June"
    Me: "So, I have to pay for another background check?"
    Him:" No, you already have a permit"

Is there no policy for this? I can't be the first person to renew a license from another county? Does anyone know what the official policy is?

How much do you want to bet that if I come back in June with no background check they will tell me that I need that since it is a "New Application"?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Arbitrary LTCF Procedures ?

Compose a respectful letter addressed to the sheriff explaining your situation and what you have been told by one of the sheriff's deputies or staff whichever applies.

I think your current situation calls for a change of address notification to Philadelphia. That might work out for you if Philly cancels the license on that basis.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Compose a respectful letter addressed to the sheriff explaining your situation and what you have been told by one of the sheriff's deputies or staff whichever applies.

I think your current situation calls for a change of address notification to Philadelphia. That might work out for you if Philly cancels the license on that basis.
    I already did the change of address when I first moved. I am not even annoyed at the guy behind the counter. He wasn't an ass or anything. He was polite and trying to be helpful I thought.

I may do that though and write a letter for clarification.

How early have others here gone for a renewal>?

PAY for a background check??????

Are you referring to the police check card thing?

How much did you have to pay for this and to whom?

(Delaware County)

My renewal for DE county is up in October.

I spoke to a woman who works in the sheriffs office and she told me as long as the renewal is within the year you are getting it, you can come in any time. No exceptions.

I told her I was under the impression it had to be within a couple of months before I could renew. She said absolutely not. As long as its within the same year of renewal, you can come in.

Fee is 20 bucks, cash is king.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    My renewal for DE county is up in October.

I spoke to a woman who works in the sheriffs office and she told me as long as the renewal is within the year you are getting it, you can come in any time. No exceptions.

I told her I was under the impression it had to be within a couple of months before I could renew. She said absolutely not. As long as its within the same year of renewal, you can come in.

Fee is 20 bucks, cash is king.

Good luck
    I suppose there's no county-to-county uniformity on this, either. In Centre County, I learned a long time ago to wait until the bitter end, because when you renew a license, they don't just tack on another five years to your original anniversary date.

I still have a couple of my old LTCFs in my wallet. Two licenses back, the LTCF was issued on 3-2-2004 and expired on 3-2-2009. I renewed early, and the next one was issued 2-18-229 and expired 2-18-2014. So I got shorted by two weeks.

However, I made it up on the most recent renewal. Due to a death in the family followed by major surgery, I wasn't able to renew before 2-18. In fact, I wasn't able to get out of the house and to the sheriff's office until July. I was still within the grace period, so they treated it as a renewal rather than a new application, but the issue date was 7-11-2014 and the expiration date is 7-11-2019.

So, overall, I've gained an extra four months for no fee. But it's the most unusual "renewal" system I've ever encountered. My experience with all other licenses/permits is that the anniversary date remains the same -- always. Only the year changes.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    How early have others here gone for a renewal>?
    I just renewed in January, Westmoreland, with only a few days to spare.

The time before, I went 3 months early. I was working second shift but had to switch to first in the near future so I went before work vs. leaving early to get it done.
    The desk guys asked "why so early?" I told them why. One very politely mentioned something about losing a few months/$$ worth on the fee but no problem.

And on the + side, the sheriff now has several evening locations open now, so it is more convenient if needed. As it should be. Hats off to our current Sheriff!
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(York County)

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the proceedure was pretty well carved out in the following. I haven't seen anything that says you can't renue before the term is up, and I'm pretty sure I remember York county officials telling me they will send the renual notice and I'm to respond then, but not before, which seems counter to what I just said, AND to what has been the experience of many other on this board. After 30 years of this silly dance of renual, I've been conditioned to respond when they send the notice. They've never been late as far as I remember, which to my math is 6 times so far (each term being 5 years). Doesn't sound consistant across the board to me. Funny how they get to choose where the consistancy applies and where it doesn't, considering they work for me, not the other way round. I have to make two trips to York every time. Once to re-apply, and once to go pick it up. And the last few times, it's only been a week or less in between. You'd think they might be able to actually do it in one visit. Circus citizen jumping through gubbermint hoops to access my "rights". Yeah, I know, concealed...blah, blah,....priviledge, blah, blah. Still sucks.

If it's from another county, then it's treated like a new license. How is there a renual period on a new license??? I call rat stench.

(f) Term of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.
    (2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    (3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) or any other provision of law to the contrary, a license to carry a firearm that is held by a member of the United States Armed Forces or the Pennsylvania National Guard on Federal active duty and deployed overseas that is scheduled to expire during the period of deployment shall be extended until 90 days after the end of the deployment.
    (4) Possession of a license, together with a copy of the person's military orders showing the dates of overseas deployment, including the date that the overseas deployment ends, shall constitute, during the extension period specified in paragraph (3), a defense to any charge filed pursuant to section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) or 6108 (relating to carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia).
    (g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    (h) Fee.--
    (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:
    (i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
    (ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127),2 known as the Sheriff Fee Act.
    (2) Expired May 9, 2011, pursuant to 2005, Nov. 10, P.L. 335, No. 66, § 3.
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
    (4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    (5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
    (6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.
    (7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    Last edited by mosseater; February 28th, 2015 at 01:03 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    PAY for a background check??????

Are you referring to the police check card thing?

How much did you have to pay for this and to whom?
    yes...the Police Check. it was $20 or $25 in Cheltenham Twp

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the proceedure was pretty well carved out in the following. I haven't seen anything that says you can't renue before the term is up, and I'm pretty sure I remember York county officials telling me they will send the renual notice and I'm to respond then, but not before, which seems counter to what I just said, AND to what has been the experience of many other on this board. After 30 years of this silly dance of renual, I've been conditioned to respond when they send the notice. They've never been late as far as I remember, which to my math is 6 times so far (each term being 5 years). Doesn't sound consistant across the board to me. Funny how they get to choose where the consistancy applies and where it doesn't, considering they work for me, not the other way round. I have to make two trips to York every time. Once to re-apply, and once to go pick it up. And the last few times, it's only been a week or less in between. You'd think they might be able to actually do it in one visit. Circus citizen jumping through gubbermint hoops to access my "rights". Yeah, I know, concealed...blah, blah,....priviledge, blah, blah. Still sucks.

The "complication" is arising from the fact that it is a Philly issued LTCF being renewed in Montco.

He said if he were to issue. e a license from montco then it would show up as me having 2 licenses. I need to come back closer to the renewal date. Nor sure how renewing in June for a license that expires in July would change that.

He aid Philly would have to revoke it if I wanted the Montco license earlier.

Sounds like total BS to me. I am going tomsend an email to the Sherriff for clarification

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast