Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transfer gun ownership

Hi guys. What's the procedure in PA to transfer a firearm to your spouse or kids?
    Do I have to do some kind of transfer at an FFL?

In case, there is no transfer procedure, can the kids and wife go around concealed carrying my pistols for the next 100 years? ( Ofcourse they will get a LTCF before concealed carrying)

Thanx 4 the replies.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Transfer gun ownership

Here is the procedure.
    Follow it closely - and I mean EXACTLY...

"Here, it's yours now."

Done.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Here is the procedure.
    Follow it closely - and I mean EXACTLY...

"Here, it's yours now."

Done.
    This ^^^^

(Allegheny County)

And now for the rest of the story...

While there is no legal requirement to have any sort of paperwork drawn up, you do have to consider other potential issues which could arise.

Let's say the wife or kids are legally carrying the handgun that you had gifted them and are pulled over for a traffic stop.
    Let's assume that they acknowledged that they had a gun in the car when asked.
    When the police run the numbers on said gun, the info will not match.
    What they are looking at is the sales database - unless you transferred ownership via an FFL, the info they get back will indicate that you are the owner.

There's nothing at all illegal about them carrying the gun, but the possibility exists that the gun gets taken and held until they can prove ownership. It's bullshit, but it can happen.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other (although I'm a fan of the gov not knowing who owns what) - I just think you need to know that there COULD be issues without the FFL transfer.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    And now for the rest of the story...

While there is no legal requirement to have any sort of paperwork drawn up, you do have to consider other potential issues which could arise.

Let's say the wife or kids are legally carrying the handgun that you had gifted them and are pulled over for a traffic stop.
    Let's assume that they acknowledged that they had a gun in the car when asked.
    When the police run the numbers on said gun, the info will not match.
    What they are looking at is the sales database - unless you transferred ownership via an FFL, the info they get back will indicate that you are the owner.

There's nothing at all illegal about them carrying the gun, but the possibility exists that the gun gets taken and held until they can prove ownership. It's bullshit, but it can happen.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other (although I'm a fan of the gov not knowing who owns what) - I just think you need to know that there COULD be issues without the FFL transfer.
    That was the exact scenario I was going to ask you about next. Thanx for the reply.

(Montgomery County)

One thing I wonder about. In PA, is there any law requiring a legally licensed gun carrier to involuntarily convey the gun he is carrying to a policeman? If the cop, after reviewing your permit says, I need to see your gun, and you say, "I prefer not to voluntarily give it to you, what happens next? I am not talking about physical resistance if he assaults you by forcibly trying to take it. My guess is that there is no legal requirement to allow a policeman to seize private property, even temporarily, if he has zero reason to presume a crime have been committed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
    One thing I wonder about. In PA, is there any law requiring a legally licensed gun carrier to involuntarily convey the gun he is carrying to a policeman? If the cop, after reviewing your permit says, I need to see your gun, and you say, "I prefer not to voluntarily give it to you, what happens next? I am not talking about physical resistance if he assaults you by forcibly trying to take it. My guess is that there is no legal requirement to allow a policeman to seize private property, even temporarily, if he has zero reason to presume a crime have been committed.
    I believe there is legal precedent allowing the temporary disarming by law enforcement during a detainment or investigation (traffic stop for example).

You can certainly say that you prefer to leave it safely concealed rather than having a loaded gun being handled, but it's known that some officers disarm you no matter what if they find out you're carrying on a traffic stop. That's exactly why some advocate not volunteering that information.

PA is not a "must inform state" Use your own discretion in informing a police officer. but to me if it as NO BEARING on the matter at hand, then its none of their business what I have in my car, as long as I have a LTCF.
    Draw up a transfer document, like a bill of sale, and the person currently in possession of the firearm has a paper trail. But again there is NO REGISTRY in PA, the sales database is NOT complete and as such cannot be used to determine ownership.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    PA is not a "must inform state" Use your own discretion in informing a police officer. but to me if it as NO BEARING on the matter at hand, then its none of their business what I have in my car, as long as I have a LTCF.
    Draw up a transfer document, like a bill of sale, and the person currently in possession of the firearm has a paper trail. But again there is NO REGISTRY in PA, the sales database is NOT complete and as such cannot be used to determine ownership.
    I agree , don't store car documents and your gun in the same place . That is how we get in the situation to begin with. As far as it goes I have heard they know about your LTCF when they run your plate ??

Just a couple of things because I don't want to make assumptions and in case some one looks up the thread in the future.

Emptymags scenario is 100% right assuming the wife and kids can legally own guns. I don't want someone reading this in the future to think this means it's ok to give guns to their kids if they have a prohibited record.

2. Also assuming all parties live in Pa. Pa laws only apply to Pa residents so if one of your kids lives in another state things may change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast