Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pa Pardon

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Pa Pardon

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    Why didn't you just return the money and offer to pay restitution in a private matter, if you felt guilty?
    I was really stupid about the whole thing. first off it was were i worked and then they didn't want to settle. so 420 dollars turned into 1800. OUCH!!!
    since then i have done nothing but volunteer my time talking to teens (around my home nothing official) and also volunteered at a local head start program , and so on.
    And as for mentioning i want to own guns.... I know not to say that . i just wanted some ideas of what to say and what all rights i have lost.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wannaown View Post
    Hi* i would like opinions from all of you concerning* an answer for the pa pardons application. the question is why do you need a pardon? i messed up when i was younger and took some money that was'nt mine and felt guilty and turned myself in and payed the price with money and probation. since then i have help our community and kept my nose clean. the reason i want the pardon is that i would like to protect myself and my family by legaly owning a firearm. but i am not sure i have a fair shot at the pardon if i use this as my reason. any opinion will help.
    One of the Pink Pistols (a routine firearm coalition member that fight against gun control) that I met at one of the Pro-gun rally in Harrisburg got her firearms rights restored by governor pardon. She said it took several years and a couple of grand. Un like you story, it was manufactured charges, she was at a gay rights rally many years ago and police line pushed them onto private property (criminal defiant trespassing) and charged with assault on police office and some other triumphed up charges.

Also she told me that by and large most firearm rights activist are a whole lot more open minded that many other so called civil rights groups are towards other people rights. She also told me several stories of how firearms ownership has saved her from taking another gay beating.

So IF you wants your rights back then spend the time and money to get your records expunged or go for a governor pardon, just don’t go break existing firearm laws and then go to jail under your current prohibited status.

If you need some more advice contact Kim Stolfer by email activist@fyi.net he may have more information on pardons and the political aspects of getting one granted.

(Fayette County)

Thank you. for the advise.

oh you don't have to worrie about me doing anything illegal again trust me. this whole mess is enough to turn anyone straight lol just kidding i have been on the straight and narrow for 12 years now and don't plan on messing myself up again.

(Fayette County)

ok just to clear things up here is a brief summery of what happened...

i was 22 yrs of age and i had a job at a campground i was a gaurd. i took some money that i should not have.and lied to the police about it. (made a false report). there was no proof that i did it they just thought i did. so it went to the local court house and i had a hearing to deside if i was guilty or not. i could not live with myself for doing this so i just told them i was guilty and got off with probation and fines and restitutions. theft by unlawful takingreceiving stolen propertyand false reports to law enforcment*this was 12 yrs ago. about 5 or 6 yrs ago i found out i was unable to own any firearms so i got rid of them well relocated them and have not had contact with them since. i have volunteered at our local head start program to get fathers more involved with there children and some other things since in the last 12 years.i have went to school and i help kids around the community by talking to them and telling them how wrong it is for getting in trouble and how good it feels to be an upright citizan the only thing i have done wrong since this was 2 parking tickets 1 in 1999 when i took my wife into the hospital to have our daughter and 1 when the timer ran out this year when i was paying my home off. but i did pay them with in the hour. so it cost me .50 cents in 1999 and 1.00 dollar this year. i am filling out the app. for a pa pardon and really need advise of what to put on this app. for starters like WHY do i NEED a pardon... i can't just say hey i want a firearm i know. but i don't have alot of money for a lawyer and they all said that they don't want to take it anyway because pardons never happen. thank you for listening**** hope this clears any thing up .

(Fayette County)

sorry for all of these posts .. but i thought i would give you an update on the lawyer thing.
    i just got off the phone with a couple lawyers 1 wants 5000. up front. and the others aren't much better. most of them just told me that my chances are zero with out a lawyer. ( now are they just saying this because they want my money which i don't have or what?)

Quote Originally Posted by wannaown View Post
    sorry for all of these posts .. but i thought i would give you an update on the lawyer thing.
    i just got off the phone with a couple lawyers 1 wants 5000. up front. and the others aren't much better. most of them just told me that my chances are zero with out a lawyer. ( now are they just saying this because they want my money which i don't have or what?)
    Pardons require several stages. First you have to apply and produce documents, and you have to persuade the Board of Pardons to grant you a hearing. If they don't grant the hearing, then you stop there, so the cost of that first step shouldn't be more than $2K.

If you get the hearing, then it takes half a day to attend, plus some prep time. shouldn't be more than another $1k.

If you're granted a pardon, then you need an expungement from Common Pleas court. This is going to be a non-contested hearing, shouldn't cost more than $1,000.

You can find an experienced lawyer who has handled pardons for under $2K up front, just ask around this site. Your chances are better with a lawyer, as in all legal proceedings.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; October 7th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.

(Fayette County)

that is very helpful thank you.this is were i am at with the process...i sent in for the app.i sent in and did my research I.E. went to court house got all of the court dockets. (well the court docket) i sent in for my pa criminal record. i have my diploma from the school i went to after the mistake.i have all of my community service stuff I.E. awards and certificates from head start. and my baptism papers.and about 10 referals i guess i am stuck on persueding the board.the only thing i don't have is exact date and state of a speeding ticket i got when i was 17.

(Lancaster County)

I realize this is a 2008 thread, and Tom Corbett is now Governor... But the Pardon process is slow and involved and can take three years to get to Harrisburg to make a presentation, so it's important to think ahead. Ten years is probably plenty of time on a misdemeanor - it will be thirteen before the Petition is heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mfwalmer View Post
    I realize this is a 2008 thread, and Tom Corbett is now Governor... But the Pardon process is slow and involved and can take three years to get to Harrisburg to make a presentation, so it's important to think ahead. Ten years is probably plenty of time on a misdemeanor - it will be thirteen before the Petition is heard.
    Actually, we've been averaging 2-3 months to obtain the paperwork and exhibits and required information, and complete the Application, then another 10 months for a hearing to be scheduled.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Fayette County)

I know it has been a long time, but I do have somewhat of an update.
    I found a lawyer that isn't breaking the bank. But I am in the same boat as before still can't figure what to put in the why NEED a clemency?other than that the ball is finally rolling. Getting everything together for the lawyer as we speak have it all but a few things. And the application is done except for the why I need part lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast