Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Might buy a Webley Mk IV War finish

well my LGS just txt'd me saying they have a as said in title Webley Mk IV "War Finish" .38 and i know i have always liked older guns, but i don't know to much about these i know the name Webley. and im trying to find out if the asking price of $525 is good for me, on par with what it should be, or good for the seller (sounds like its on consignment)

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Might buy a Webley Mk IV War finish

The Webley line of revolvers dates from the late 19th Century. Serving numerous military and civilian users though out the world faithfully. The weapons, while not the most aesthetic, are damn near indestructible. Many examples over 100 years old are still going strong. The MK IV in .38/200 aka, .380 Revolver was developed to compete in a Government arms trial to select a new service revolver in .38 to replace the .455 arms then in use. Ultimately the UK Ordnance Board settled on an Enfield design closely copied from the Webley pattern revolvers. So close in fact there was a patent lawsuit against the Crown by Webley.

Having lost the British military contract in the mid-30s, Webley concentrated on civilian and other military and police sales until WW2 commenced. The need for arms made the MK IV a desirable alterative to the Enfield revolvers and the company turned them out as fast as they could be made. In doing so Webley & Scott had to abandon their usual standard of fine finish. Hence the "War Finish" marking on the side. W&S didn't want people to think their quality had diminished and that the rough, matt finish was for the war emergency only.

Judging from the photos you posted it looks like a nice example and while not a great deal at $525.00 it's within an acceptable price range. Especially if that would be OTD. If you could squeeze the guy down to under $500.00 that would be better.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The Webley line of revolvers dates from the late 19th Century. Serving numerous military and civilian users though out the world faithfully. The weapons, while not the most aesthetic, are damn near indestructible. Many examples over 100 years old are still going strong. The MK IV in .38/200 aka, .380 Revolver was developed to compete in a Government arms trial to select a new service revolver in .38 to replace the .455 arms then in use. Ultimately the UK Ordnance Board settled on an Enfield design closely copied from the Webley pattern revolvers. So close in fact there was a patent lawsuit against the Crown by Webley.

Having lost the British military contract in the mid-30s, Webley concentrated on civilian and other military and police sales until WW2 commenced. The need for arms made the MK IV a desirable alterative to the Enfield revolvers and the company turned them out as fast as they could be made. In doing so Webley & Scott had to abandon their usual standard of fine finish. Hence the "War Finish" marking on the side. W&S didn't want people to think their quality had diminished and that the rough, matt finish was for the war emergency only.

Judging from the photos you posted it looks like a nice example and while not a great deal at $525.00 it's within an acceptable price range. Especially if that would be OTD. If you could squeeze the guy down to under $500.00 that would be better.
    I would agree with SG to try to bring the price down to ~$450. I have five of these including one with the "A" prefix that means after 1946 and will not have the War Finish stamp. If you have a C&R FFL03 then you can also save the PICS fee. You can reload to close to the 380/200 loading using 180 grain lead FPs and if you can find them in 0.360 to 0.361 inch diameter so much the better as the 38 S&W bore was/is larger than the 38 special. Do not attempt to use 38 Special cases even cut down as they are smaller in diameter than the 38 S&W and will probably split when fired. Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Great guns, pleasures to shoot, and nice pieces of history. But that price is too high IMO. They can be had in nice condition for $100 less with patience.

I passed one up at Oaks a few gunshows ago for $250 I think. They can be had for $300 or so easily. I would pass at that price, I almost bought an Albion, a rarer manufacturer variant of these pistols, in excellent condition with holster for $550.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

I ended up passing on it, they wouldn't come down in price, the seller wanted $590 but was willing to go to $525 for me. I stopped in so i could see it and hold it, and i have always wanted one (preferably in 455) but it wasn't the right time or price. Oh well one day

(York County)

Sgreen10:

I think you made a wise choice to pass on the deal since the price was unrealistically high. As others have posted, the Mk. IV is a very unique bit of history and will likely never break. I treasure mine and of all my Webley's (see my avatar) it is the one I enjoy shooting the most. The post war made guns were being sold here as surplus as recently as ten years ago, and at the time they were going for about $150 retail. In fact, there is one for sale right now at the Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury, PA for $299.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Sgreen10:

I think you made a wise choice to pass on the deal since the price was unrealistically high . . . The post war made guns were being sold here as surplus as recently as ten years ago, and at the time they were going for about $150 retail. In fact, there is one for sale right now at the Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury, PA for $299.
    Completely agree. The price at $525 was still $125 too high at least.

$250 to $350 is the norm for a 38 Mark IV.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    I ended up passing on it, they wouldn't come down in price, the seller wanted $590 but was willing to go to $525 for me. I stopped in so i could see it and hold it, and i have always wanted one (preferably in 455) but it wasn't the right time or price. Oh well one day
    If you can find an uncut 0.455 which will be probably a Mark VI, then start looking at twice the price quoted for the Mk IV 38. If someone offers you a "supposedly" uncut 0.455, just look at the serial number on the circumference at the rear of the cylinder. There should be at least the thickness of a 1 cent coin between the bottom of the serial number and the end of the cylinder. If the numbers look to be at the bottom of the cylinder then it has been cut for 0.45 ACP with moon clips. I have a number of cut Military versions plus one of the last Commercial versions made in the middle 1930s.

Another point. The number on the cylinder should be seen under the swivel point for the barrel with the rest on the frame ahead of the trigger guard. So if a six figure serial then 3 on one side 3 on the other. If the cylinder and frame numbers do not match, be very careful, as each cylinder has to be fitted to the frame.

Other points; the cylinder will move until the pistol is cocked and then the trigger pulled. Once the trigger is held back, the cylinder should not move.

Second, if cut do not use regular 0.45 ACP cartridges. The normal 230 grain load is close to proof loads for the Webley 0.455. Normal loading is a 265 grain lead bullet at 625-650 fps.

Soldat mentioned the Albion pistol above. This is not a Webley, but one of the companies that made the Enfield Pistol No 2, usually the Mark 1* and Mark 1** which are DAOs. The Enfield was the UK Military's "knock-off" of the Webley Mk IV 38. Dave_n