Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Best sub 400 hunting/target optic

So, I bought a Savage .223, and also have gotten into the reloading game. Now I want to get more into target shooting (in addition to hunting) and would like to find a good scope in the 400 range to take advantage of both.

I shoot on my in-laws farm mostly. There, I have about 300-400 yards I can shoot safely. I currently have a 3x9 on it, but figuring I might be paper punching more than using it to hunt so wanted to go a 4x-?? route.

Any recommendations? Leaning toward a Vortex Viper when they're on sale, but otherwise open to any and all suggestions.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Best sub 400 hunting/target optic

I've got a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 for sale if you have any interest in buying used. It's just about the perfect PA hunting scope IMHO. Low enough magnification that you have a wide field of view, but you can crank it in too. The glass is very clear & works very well in low light / bad weather.

I'm going to try hunting deer with iron sights this year so I sold off my bolt action & will be selling this scope to fund other gun stuff (otherwise I would be keeping it).

Good luck on the search!

(Washington County)

These are good scopes for your needs and I shoot with all of them from 2-500yards at least 2-3x a week and further at twice once a month.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-r...pr-m-06fp.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-o...of-scopes.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-o...le-scopes.html

The 2.5-10 is unbelievebly crisp and clear and has no paralax adjuster so your cheek weld and eye placement must be in the same spot or you may be off as much as 1-3inches at those distances (parallax error) But the image is always crisp and clear from 20yards- 700yards you just have to be exact with you eye placement. Thats the scope im most impressed with actually and run it on my semi 308 since I only shoot steel plates with it and not ground hogs at those distances. I "could" shoot a ghog at 400yards on 10x since the gun shoots 1moa but I leave that to the 20x .3moa 308 bolt gun

Ive also had a few 800-1300$ scopes and they were less reliable in tracking and lost zeros, ever since I started with the mid level vortex optics everything has been tip top. Wont buy anything else.
    Last edited by Dont4get2doubletap; February 25th, 2015 at 06:44 PM.

i would take a look at liberty optics line of bushnell elite scopes,

for 350-500 bucks you could get a nice 4x16x40 scope well within that price range that would match up nicely with some 80 grain .223 bullets
    Last edited by usmc21; February 25th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dont4get2doubletap View Post
    These are good scopes for your needs and I shoot with all of them from 2-500yards at least 2-3x a week and further at twice once a month.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-r...pr-m-06fp.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-o...of-scopes.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-o...le-scopes.html

The 2.5-10 is unbelievebly crisp and clear and has no paralax adjuster so your cheek weld and eye placement must be in the same spot or you may be off as much as 1-3inches at those distances (parallax error) But the image is always crisp and clear from 20yards- 700yards you just have to be exact with you eye placement. Thats the scope im most impressed with actually and run it on my semi 308 since I only shoot steel plates with it and not ground hogs at those distances. I "could" shoot a ghog at 400yards on 10x since the gun shoots 1moa but I leave that to the 20x .3moa 308 bolt gun

Ive also had a few 800-1300$ scopes and they were less reliable in tracking and lost zeros, ever since I started with the mid level vortex optics everything has been tip top. Wont buy anything else.

You can order Vortex demo/samples from Cameraland if you want to save a few bucks. I ordered the 2.5-10x44 that DFGTDT mentioned for my SPR and the glass is reallly nice. I just wanted a simple scope to shoot out to 300 yards, and this one fits the bill. $334.99. Just call them to make sure it's instock. Mine was at my door in 3 days and is absolutely in perfect shape. Many of the demos just sit in the case on display and are never mounted.

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-vortex.html

IMG_4132 by splittiebus66, on Flickr
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; February 26th, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

I just ordered a primary arms acss dmr hud scopes. Looks decent for under 300. Will be using it for target and deer hunting. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...-14xffp308.htm

(Adams County)

Partial to Nikon myself, the Monarks used to be sub $400 but I think you need to wait for a sale now. They do make specific 223 scopes as well, the M-223

Not sure what type of hunting you are planning on doing with a 223 beside ground hog or coyote sized game.

The Vortex Viper isn't a bad optic as I've owned a couple of them. I find the magnification to be too high for hunting applications on the lowest setting (6.5x), but it's not a bad scope. You can find them for around $300 new.

For pure PA Whitetail hunting a 3x9 is all you will need since most shots are well under 100 yards.

Now, if you are talking varmint such as ground hog...many will prefer higher magnification and at the distances you are talking about...a 4x12 will probably be ideal.

Sightron, SWFA, Vortex, Nikon, etc etc will cover you within your price point.

I don't know what rings/bases you have, but don't skimp on those items either. EGW is local in SEPA and they make some solid scope bases.

vortex makes descent scopes as mentioned previously, but their rings are pretty good too and pretty affordable at around $60

(Blair County)

Swfa 10x or 12x is probably the best bang for you buck scope at that price point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast