Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wyoming County)

Default Cartwright response is more canned than 7n6

My apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place or if its already been brought up, but I wasn't sure given that its national politics but a response form a PA rep.

So once I heard about the proposed M855 ban I dusted of my email account and started firing of emails to everyone I could think of ATF/President/Senators/Representatives. While I will give cartwright a gold star for being the first to respond it seemed very familiar. Like perhaps I had heard it before, almost exactly a year ago.

Thank you for contacting me with your concern about a rumor regarding the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) potentially regulating steel core 5.45x39 ammunition.

Armor-piercing ammunition is ammunition that is designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor, including body armor commonly worn by police officers. Under the Firearm Owners' Protection Act, armor-piercing ammunition is defined as any projectile or projectile core that may be used in a handgun and that is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium. In addition, to be considered armor-piercing, ammunition must be larger than .22 caliber with a jacket weighing more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

According to the ATF, federal law prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale or delivery of armor-piercing ammunition, with very limited exceptions. In particular, specific exceptions exist for armor-piercing ammunition that is manufactured for certain federal and state government divisions, exportation, or testing. The ATF can also exempt certain armor-piercing ammunition primarily intended for sporting or industrial purposes.

You expressed concern about the ATF potentially regulating 5.45x39 ammunition, because such ammunition can now be fired from a handgun and thus may be considered armor-piercing under federal law. While the ATF has not announced plans to regulate such ammunition, I will monitor the situation to ensure that the agency protects Second Amendment rights while also keeping our law enforcement officers and communities safe. As your congressman, I will always work to preserve the rights of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families.

Whichever aid sent this out should have at least had the decency to change 5.45x39 to 5.56x45. I guess I never really had any faith in the system, so I can't say I've lost it.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Cartwright response is more canned than 7n6

LOL at title.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

What do you expect? You sent an email. If you want a dialogue, you are going to have to pick up a phone, get somebody's name, and start talking with that person back and forth for a few days while they follow up on the information you provide them.

Takes less than 5 minutes a day. I'm not criticizing you, but that's the only way you get people involved and educated on the issue.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    LOL at title.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson