Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA

(York County)

Default LEOSA

Does anyone have experience or clear answers on LEOSA in combination with a PA LTCF permit in neighboring states? The law has been butchered and some articles read that you can't be covered under a permit and LEOSA but one or the other. The NRA literature leaves you more confused then understanding.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: LEOSA

Quote Originally Posted by Molonlabe76 View Post
    Does anyone have experience or clear answers on LEOSA in combination with a PA LTCF permit in neighboring states? The law has been butchered and some articles read that you can't be covered under a permit and LEOSA but one or the other. The NRA literature leaves you more confused then understanding.
    I'm not sure what you're asking. LEOSA and a PA LTCF are completely separate things. The only thing they have to do with each other is that both concern carrying in certain places or circumstances which otherwise would be prohibited, but they don't interact or interrelate in any meaningful way.

Are you an active or retired LEO?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Perry County)

LEOSA allows active and retired law enforcement to carry concealed anywhere in the country. Local laws about where carry is allowed must be followed as do mag restrictions but not ammo restrictions.

In order to carry, you must have ID and you must qualify with the pistol you're carrying.

Your PA LTCF allows you to carry in PA and any states that have reciprocity with PA.

As stated, one has nothing to do with the other. I have an LTCF as well as my certification under LEOSA. The benefits to the LTCF is that I can carry any of my handguns in PA without having had to qualify.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Luzerne County)

As already stated, neither one has anything to do with the other thing.

I'm certified to do LEOSA and it is totally separate from having a license to carry.

Some states will have reciprocity with a PA LTCF, while others will not.

A qualified officer under LEOSA will be allowed to carry in all states.

Just because you have one, the other isn't cancelled out.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    LEOSA allows active and retired law enforcement to carry concealed anywhere in the country. Local laws about where carry is allowed must be followed as do mag restrictions but not ammo restrictions.

In order to carry, you must have ID and you must qualify with the pistol you're carrying.

Your PA LTCF allows you to carry in PA and any states that have reciprocity with PA.

As stated, one has nothing to do with the other. I have an LTCF as well as my certification under LEOSA. The benefits to the LTCF is that I can carry any of my handguns in PA without having had to qualify.
    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I never read anywhere where the firearm carried must be the one you qualify with. Only that you must qualify with A firearm.

In 18 USC § 926B(c),[10] "qualified law enforcement officer" is defined as an employee of a governmental agency who:

is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
    is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
    meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
    is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    Additionally, 18 USC § 926B requires that the individual must carry photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed that identifies the employee as a police officer or law enforcement officer or correctional officer of the agency.

On-duty status determines LEOSA-eligibility. Thus, as long as the person meets the definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" in an on-duty capacity, whether an officer is a full-time, part-time, or reserve peace officer is not relevant in determining whether a person is a "qualified law enforcement officer" under LEOSA. LEOSA's definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" does not include a requirement that a person have law enforcement authority off-duty.[19][20][21]

ETA: just found this..... Worth the read.
    http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    Last edited by jw34; February 23rd, 2015 at 06:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Allegheny County)

"you must qualify with the pistol you're carrying"

Actually it is the "type" of firearm that you are carrying. Type being broken down into two groups: Revolvers & Semi-Autos.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    As already stated, neither one has anything to do with the other thing.

I'm certified to do LEOSA and it is totally separate from having a license to carry.

Some states will have reciprocity with a PA LTCF, while others will not.

A qualified officer under LEOSA will be allowed to carry in all states.

Just be cause you have one, the other isn't cancelled out.
    THIS !

(Luzerne County)

Many states and departments are (wrongly) divided over firearm "type" under LEOSA.

If you read LEOSA and everything that lead up to it, firearm "type" means either revolver or semi-automatic.

However, some states and/or departments have different views on "type".

When I qualify retired officers, I am required to log every firearm they desire to carry under LEOSA; make, model and ammo type. I felt that firearm "type" meant the same thing; revolver or semi-auto.

However, when I sent MPOETC an email to clarify this, the letter I got back stated that if the firearm has the same controls, then no need to qualify with the second firearm. In other words, qualify with one Glock and the retired officer can carry any Glock because the controls are the same. Qualify with a revolver and the retired officer would be good with any other revolver.

But, if the primary firearm would be a Glock, but the other firearm would be a Sig, the retired officer would have to qualify with both, since the controls are different.

I keep this letter from MPOETC in my LEOSA binder to show the retired officers that its not me, but PA/MPOETC that is requiring them to qualify with different firearm "types".

On several of my LE forums, many departments in other states also require the retired officer qualify with each and every firearm they may carry, even if the controls are the same.

LEOSA does not require this, only that the retired officer "qualify".

(Allegheny County)

Steve,
    The updated PA Retired Officer Concealed Carry Acknowledgment Form now specifies that the retired officer:

3. I intend to qualify with and carry: (select one only) Revolver [ ], (Semi) Automatic [ ], or Both. [ ]

Is this update to the form more recent than MPOETC's reply to your email?
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Steve,
    The updated PA Retired Officer Concealed Carry Acknowledgment Form now specifies that the retired officer:

3. I intend to qualify with and carry: (select one only) Revolver [ ], (Semi) Automatic [ ], or Both. [ ]

Is this update to the form more recent than MPOETC's reply to your email?
    The form you fill out and give to me, which I check and send into MPOETC has blocks for semi, revolver or both. However, the card I sign and give to you once you qualify says nothing about firearm type.

Block #3 on the application has the retired officer choose semi, revolver or both.

The actual card issued to the retired officer makes no mention of firearm type.

Last edited by Steve in PA; February 23rd, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast