Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Taurus Judge enough to drop a Bear?

I am an avid archery hunter who is looking for a side arm to protect me here in Northeast PA. I am looking for something that would drop a bear, coyotes, and pretty much anything that might attack here in PA.

My questions are as follows:

1- Will the 45 long colt or 410 slug be sufficient to drop an attacking black bear?

2- How does the KE of the Judge(410 slug or 45 long colt) compare to that of a 41 Mag or 44 mag?

3- Should I go with a 41 mag or 44 mag instead?

Any insight with regard to this topic will be helpful!

Thanks, Isaac

Default Re: Taurus Judge enough to drop a Bear?

There are specific SD loads in .410 that were made directly for the Judge or the S&W Governor that are excellent man stoppers. Shooting the SD .45 LC loads from these revolvers are putting out near the same ballistics of good .45 ACP from a 3.5" XD type pistol. All are good at stopping men, for a pissed off bear I cannot say one way or another I guess it depends on how heavy, pissed off and determined that bear is as well as how good a shot you are. If I had to choose one round over the other it would be a good .45LC before the .410 loads.

However I would rather have a S&W Model 69 44mag over the Judge if I were to have a dedicated hiking bear gun.

45 lC vs. .45ACP out of the defender.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNVXuspaJtE

.410 shot loads tested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMDd4eAQO0
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 22nd, 2015 at 07:56 PM.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...an/models.html

454 Casull or 480 Ruger. I'd recommend the 454 Casull since you can shoot 45 LC out of it as well.

I got a 454 Casull I want to use for deer down in SWPA. Recoil isn't really that bad - but it has a ported 8 3/4" barrel and not a 2.5" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post

1- Will the 45 long colt or 410 slug be sufficient to drop an attacking black bear?

2- How does the KE of the Judge(410 slug or 45 long colt) compare to that of a 41 Mag or 44 mag?
    If the Judge will handle Buffalo Bore, it will. They offer 325 gr +P's at over 1300 fps and muzzle energy of over 1200 ft lbs. That stops bear, bigfoot, Kong, and the Devil. Now the question is...will the Judge handle that load?

This is comparable to a 44 mag, but with almost 100 more grains of bullit.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Mercer County)

If you're getting a gun specifically for defense against bears, I wouldn't go less than .44 mag.

I've never been big on the Judge. I think as a niche weapon it would be okay, such as using it specifically as an anti-carjacking weapon. Other than that, it's not very impressive. The only (IMO) decent ammuntion available for it in .410 is the Winchester PDX1. Even it suffers from lackluster penetration in ballistic gelatin. It's mediocre in most every regard, and certainly doesn't excel in anything, except when loaded with .45 LC. When loaded with .45 LC, it can be VERY effective.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks guys! I think I will be getting a 44 mag.

Isaac

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    Thanks guys! I think I will be getting a 44 mag.

Isaac
    Look at Rugers, Redhawk or Super Redhawk, with a 4" or longer barrel. These will handle the very hottest loads you can buy or handload, all day long. The S&W 629, not so much.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    If you're getting a gun specifically for defense against bears, I wouldn't go less than .44 mag.

I've never been big on the Judge. I think as a niche weapon it would be okay, such as using it specifically as an anti-carjacking weapon. Other than that, it's not very impressive. The only (IMO) decent ammuntion available for it in .410 is the Winchester PDX1. Even it suffers from lackluster penetration in ballistic gelatin. It's mediocre in most every regard, and certainly doesn't excel in anything, except when loaded with .45 LC. When loaded with .45 LC, it can be VERY effective.
    FINALLY....someone else who understands.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Look at Rugers, Redhawk or Super Redhawk, with a 4" or longer barrel. These will handle the very hottest loads you can buy or handload, all day long. The S&W 629, not so much.
    This. Ruger would be my choice. Particularly the Super Redhawk (go figure).
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post

Sprrdhawk is (as usual) spot on. the ballistics of a a 410 will not come close to a 44 mag or better.

45 long colt is better, but, it becomes a matter of ethics.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast