Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default M&P Pro 9 sights

Does S&W do anything other than just slap the sights on to say their on? I picked up my new pistol the other day and shot 25 rounds with it this afternoon.

Everything was to the left including a hole at 9:00 about the size of a fifty cent piece from about 15 feet where several rounds went through. On the way back inside I noticed while pointing the weapon downrange that the front sight post is right of center at about the 1:00 position and also the rear sight is off to the right.

Before I start monkeying with the sights, I'd like to know if something is done at the factory to sight it in, or is it just me?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: M&P Pro 9 sights

Quote Originally Posted by gittist View Post
    Does S&W do anything other than just slap the sights on to say their on? I picked up my new pistol the other day and shot 25 rounds with it this afternoon.

Everything was to the left including a hole at 9:00 about the size of a fifty cent piece from about 15 feet where several rounds went through. On the way back inside I noticed while pointing the weapon downrange that the front sight post is right of center at about the 1:00 position and also the rear sight is off to the right.

Before I start monkeying with the sights, I'd like to know if something is done at the factory to sight it in, or is it just me?

Thanks
    Mine was dead on balls accurate, but YMMV. I would touch base with S&W to see if there is something they would be willing to do for it.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Schuylkill County)

I found several other threads on the internet about M&P Pistols, including the Pro, identical to my situation, and a few that are the exact opposite. Some of the threads state that the factory does a function and sight test before it leaves the plant. I wonder what the standard for the sights is? A dumpster at 10 paces?

S&W hasn't replied to my inquiry yet, but I got a nice automated email acknowledging it.

(Schuylkill County)

Problem fixed. Gunsmith looked at it and said "Bet it shoots left.." Dead on now.

If they were noticeably off then why not just drift and adjust them to where they needed to be? I really don't get the need for a gunsmith with something that is so noticeable and correctable. These issues are more then common with production line pistols nothing new or worry about.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 1st, 2015 at 01:25 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

I tried (I have a set of brass drifts from Brownells) and all I accomplished was to crack the fiber optic. Even the gunsmith couldn't drift them. He had to use a slight pusher and then a hammer to boot. I won't have to worry about them falling out.

So no one asks why I didn't contact S&W, I'm still waiting for a response to my ticket; it's ten days now. Thank for the prompt response S&W.

Besides, even though I'm in relatively rural PA, I can see the postmaster crapping his pants and passing out when I try to ship the pistol to S&W. I'm assuming that it can be done, or are UPS and FEDEX the only way? And then it's an hours drive to one of the facilities that will accept firearms.

The gunsmith was twenty minutes away, the weapon was fired for accuracy, and then you got to swap stories so it was an enjoyable morning.

Just out of curiosity, how does S&W get the weapons back to you? Can they ship directly to you or does that have to go to a FFL?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gittist View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how does S&W get the weapons back to you? Can they ship directly to you or does that have to go to a FFL?
    They'll ship it directly to your house. That's what Sig does anyway . . .