Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pistol Light

(Westmoreland County)

Default Pistol Light

Thinking about getting a rail mounted pistol light. The purpose would be for a home defense gun for my wife. The gun is a Sig 626 Tacops & I am thinking about getting a Surefire X300 Ultra for the light.

I have never used a pistol light, but am thinking that it would be easier for my wife than trying to use sights (even night sights) when it is dark. I am thinking that instead of shooting thru the sights, she can focus on shooting at the bright spot. I presume that a probable range would be 10 to 20 feet.

Would a pistol light work for her the way I describe it?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Pistol Light

I use a x300 ultra on every pistol. I also use night sights. Doing many night shoots weapon lights are worth their weight in gold. That beig said, you still need to use some sort of sights and get a sight picture. A weapon mounted light helps with this.

When I was using a handheld for night shoots, my light would always be behind my pistol and would drown out my sights making things a lot harder.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Washington County)

It's not really going to work as you imagine.

The 500 lumen X300 puts out a lot of light. It's not very focused. It has a wide beam angle.

It can be well used in conjunction with some night shoot training to practice the point shooting you describe, but putting a light on the gun and expecting it to focus your accuracy like a rail mounted laser won't really happen.

There are some lights with lasers built in, like one model from Streamlight.

Personally, I'll take my Streamlight TLR-1HL over an X300 any day. It's been flawless after thousands of shots out of my Glock and it has a smaller profile and much lower price.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

If you're looking at the beam you're not looking at your front sight. With a light on in even a pitch black room there's sufficient ambient light to see your sights.

One could argue at really close distances the light could act like a pointer/laser and permit a non-sighted shot but that's probably grappling distance.

ETA: Happy with my Streamlight TLR-3. I like its size on my M&P compact which depending on where/when I'm going gets holstered up with light attached.
    Last edited by Palerider; February 21st, 2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Add

I have two TLR-1's & a X-300. Both work great, but the TLR-1 is less expensive.

There are wml's with built in lasers, but they usually have a three position switch. I prefer to keep it simple. Unless you train extensively with them, there's always the chance that the laser switch will be in the wrong position when you really need it, then you'll fumbling with it at the worst possible time.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(York County)

Surefire x300. Mines been flawless

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    Surefire x300. Mines been flawless

What optic are you using on that fnx tac? i have been thinking what one to top mine off with, mine is a can host so it is not really carried with the can and tac light its kinda bulky.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post
    What optic are you using on that fnx tac? i have been thinking what one to top mine off with, mine is a can host so it is not really carried with the can and tac light its kinda bulky.
    Trijicon RMR.

Its good to have a set of night sights or red dot on your gun along with the light. Using the light as a quick reference to aim may be possible but don't expect any kind of precision at all.

(Mercer County)

I have a TLR4 on my carry Glock. I would much rather have an X300. I do however, appreciate the size and weight of the TLR4.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; February 22nd, 2015 at 07:21 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Washington County)

I have a Nebo 5569 ProTec Elite HP190 on my used LE Glock 22. Legacy Armory refinished it for me and did the light at the same time. On the rare occasions I need to run out to the barn in case of a ruckus with the animals, I have no trouble lightening up the stalls with this light.

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)