Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Pappyfran View Post
    Hi BionicMan, I have the same safe and problem. Can you please help, I have grandkids that are in and out all the time and with the safe locked and opened I worry a lot even though they understand why it's opened they still like to look. I would be greatful life you could help. Thanks!
    PM'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Put a S&G mechanical lock on it. As long as the door is open you can get to it.
    Haha, see post #76 in this thread.

My husband & I have the same issue with the Winchester safe we purchased in 2013. We cannot get it open though we are entering the code we’ve used multiple times a day. We have changed the battery, but that doesn’t help. We use it just as you said you do & for the same reasons. Any advice on next steps? Thanks in advance.

How do I find out which model lock came on my winchester safe

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    My husband & I have the same issue with the Winchester safe we purchased in 2013. We cannot get it open though we are entering the code we’ve used multiple times a day. We have changed the battery, but that doesn’t help. We use it just as you said you do & for the same reasons. Any advice on next steps? Thanks in advance.
    PM'd.

Quote Originally Posted by tdog22 View Post
    How do I find out which model lock came on my winchester safe
    If memory serves, I figured it out by removing the keypad and checking the back for the part #, but this obviously requires destroying the keypad. Without removing the unit to check, you might be able to call Winchester with the serial number on your safe and prompt them for some info on it. Other than that, I'd hit up Google Images to try and find a unit that looks identical.

Hello! Found this forum after Having the same problem, will be doing the upgrade assuming I can get back into it.

In a pm’ing mood BionicMan?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 05slatej View Post
    Hello! Found this forum after Having the same problem, will be doing the upgrade assuming I can get back into it.

In a pm’ing mood BionicMan?
    I gotcha, see your PM's.

I found this site and your thread after buying a TS-19-11 Winchester safe. There is absolutely nothing on the web about the safes keypad and lock except for your excellent thread..I thank you.

I just bought the safe on 1 Sept so will wait out the year before upgrading..Hope the warranty is better than the lock and keypad.

Winchester is keeping info on the lock and keypad a secret..

Your thoughts on removing the relocker..As I see it it keeps the owner out too. I don't live in a high threat area and the normal crackhead isn't out to hack safes...

I have a small machine shop so if locked out I have plasma cutters and mig welders....I'll cut the top off and empty it then weld the top back on..I will cover my weapons with a welding blanket in anticipation of doing that..

I'd like your opinion on an idea I had to really secure the safe..To provide context I'm 75 YO, no kids around..I thought about installing a electric fence unit inside and control the on/off switch with a insulated magnet..Anyone that touches the safe will let go real pronto..they use a rechargeable battery The only downside I can see is it might interfere with the keypad..

This is the latest answer I got from Winchester...

Move to:
    Date:
    Monday, September 10, 2018 1:23 PM
    Contact Us <contactus@winchestersafes.com>
    To:

Subject:
    RE: TS-19-11 question
    Size:
    3 KB
    It uses neither. It cannot be changed to any other locking mechanism.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 11:40 AM
    To: contactus@winchestersafes.com
    Subject: TS-19-11 question

Can you tell me if the TS-19-11 uses a 3710 keypad and a LG4200 lock?

When the warranty expires I plan to upgrade..

Thanks

Bionicman you have accomplished the impossible..

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    I found this site and your thread after buying a TS-19-11 Winchester safe. There is absolutely nothing on the web about the safes keypad and lock except for your excellent thread..I thank you.

I just bought the safe on 1 Sept so will wait out the year before upgrading..Hope the warranty is better than the lock and keypad.

Winchester is keeping info on the lock and keypad a secret..

Your thoughts on removing the relocker..As I see it it keeps the owner out too. I don't live in a high threat area and the normal crackhead isn't out to hack safes...

I have a small machine shop so if locked out I have plasma cutters and mig welders....I'll cut the top off and empty it then weld the top back on..I will cover my weapons with a welding blanket in anticipation of doing that..

I'd like your opinion on an idea I had to really secure the safe..To provide context I'm 75 YO, no kids around..I thought about installing a electric fence unit inside and control the on/off switch with a insulated magnet..Anyone that touches the safe will let go real pronto..they use a rechargeable battery The only downside I can see is it might interfere with the keypad..
    I admire your ingenuity, but electrifying the safe sounds like a potential fire hazard. You'd also be forced to remove at least some of the fire-block material insulating the safe to gain access to the shell from the inside, which would limit the safe's ability to protect your belongings in the event of a real fire. That said, it could make for a pretty interesting project. The relocker can be easily disabled, so it's really up to the individual owner if they want that functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    This is the latest answer I got from Winchester...

Move to:
    Date:
    Monday, September 10, 2018 1:23 PM
    Contact Us <contactus@winchestersafes.com>
    To:

Subject:
    RE: TS-19-11 question
    Size:
    3 KB
    It uses neither. It cannot be changed to any other locking mechanism.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 11:40 AM
    To: contactus@winchestersafes.com
    Subject: TS-19-11 question

Can you tell me if the TS-19-11 uses a 3710 keypad and a LG4200 lock?

When the warranty expires I plan to upgrade..

Thanks

Bionicman you have accomplished the impossible..
    Well, Winchester is half honest and half full of shit. The 2018 MY of this safe has a number of major variations from my 2014 version. The most obvious are the lower price and switch from 12 1.25" locking bolts (7 active & 5 stationary) to only 7 1.0" locking bolts (4 active & 3 stationary). It's also over 100lbs lighter . . . I believe they switched from a 12 gauge body to a 14 gauge body. On the plus side, Winchester appears to have changed their warranty policy from one year to limited-lifetime. That said, the other notable change is the keypad and locking mechanism. Both the 3710 keypad and LG4200 locking mechanism are now obsolete, so that's not what's installed in your safe. I've never disassembled the current model year, so I can't say for certain what parts are installed from the factory.

Winchester is completely full of shit in stating that you can't replace the lock. Personally, I think the SafeLogic Xtreme is one the best safe locks currently out there, and they have an excellent install video as well:

https://www.securamsys.com/safelogic-xtreme-c1vk0

(Allegheny County)

I bought a used Remington Premier 25 safe with a 1996 build date, for I think it was right about $1000 (delivered) on Craigslist.

It's made by Liberty and has a standard-looking S&G combo lock on it that is well worn - a lot of the gold plating on the dial is worn off - but it works great. I had a local locksmith assign a new combo for it and make me a pair of day-keys for it for under $100. Never had any issues with it in the 5 years I've had it.

It's got 16 active 1" lock bolts, and Liberty tells me that it is made from 7 gauge steel and weighs 980 pounds empty.

Seems like a better deal than those new Winchester safes (:

There are so many good used safes available for relatively cheap, there's virtually no excuse for buying a new shitty safe from a big box store, like this sub-400 pound piece of shit:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgLWSfD_BwE

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast