Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

Just bought the 10gun version of this safe and thought i’d be proactive. I bought the LG5715 and LG4200 lock. Will I need to make new holes for the new lock? The current one is pretty small looking. Do i even need to replace the lock or just the keypd?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andersped View Post
    Just bought the 10gun version of this safe and thought i’d be proactive. I bought the LG5715 and LG4200 lock. Will I need to make new holes for the new lock? The current one is pretty small looking. Do i even need to replace the lock or just the keypd?
    The vast majority of folks have their issues addressed simply by replacing the keypad. I've never seen or worked on the 10-gun model, but most of the safes I've seen in this class share the same bolt patterns for the keypad, so it will more than likely bolt right up using the existing holes. (you may need to recycle the mounting bolts from the original keypad for proper fitment)

I just bought the 24 gun model TS-19-11 on close out. They are starting to sell a different model with a back up key. Unfortunately mine doesn't have one. I don't see how you get mine off. I'd like to replace it with a known brand. Winchester said it's made by a company in China named Tri Star. Does anybody know how and what model to use to replace it with? Im not sure how to post a pic.
    Thank You
    Last edited by Coyote-conquest; October 23rd, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote-conquest View Post
    I just bought the 24 gun model TS-19-11 on close out. They are starting to sell a different model with a back up key. Unfortunately mine doesn't have one. I don't see how you get mine off. I'd like to replace it with a known brand. Winchester said it's made by a company in China named Tri Star. Does anybody know how and what model to use to replace it with? Im not sure how to post a pic.
    Thank You
    PM sent.

Hmm, think I messed up my last post. Just like many others I am here for help from you BionicMan. First Alert safe bought from Costco in the 2013 time frame but it has the offending LAGARD lock on the front. I am getting the 3 beeps of death after correct code. Can you send me some help before I start peeling off the pad and tearing in to this thing? Thanks!

(Northampton County)

I gotcha covered, see my PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma2552 View Post
    Hmm, think I messed up my last post. Just like many others I am here for help from you BionicMan. First Alert safe bought from Costco in the 2013 time frame but it has the offending LAGARD lock on the front. I am getting the 3 beeps of death after correct code. Can you send me some help before I start peeling off the pad and tearing in to this thing? Thanks!

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

So three beeps after the correct code is the death warning? I must have missed that. I guess I now know what I’m getting myself for thanksgiving...

I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to Bionicman for saving my arse!

I had a slightly different issue than others on the 24g Tractor Supply safe (Winchester TS2211). When I entered my code (was absolutely sure it was correct), I'd get three beeps which the manual says that you entered the wrong code, and then it would immediately lock me out, and I'd get a little mini pulse beep periodically and the LED would flash.. maybe every 10-15 seconds or so. This is the 5 minute lockout function. Sometimes it would let me entered the code twice before it locked me out. I put in a new battery -> Same thing. My key pad is like new because I dont go in my safe often at all, so I knew it wasnt bad buttons - they responded perfectly..

I proactively bought the $90 5715 keypad and inner 4200M swingbolt lock (motor blocking) combo (SKU:LG3802-5715SC https://mbausa.com/lagard-lgbasic-ii...SABEgIuAPD_BwE ) and was a little confused when it came because the name on the lock is different than lagaurd, it said KARA. It does appear to be better made and the board inside is totally different. I bought both because I wasnt sure if my innards were bad too because my problem was a little different than others. Oh and an added bonus is a lighted keypad on the KARA, which looks great at night!

Here are couple tidbits that I didnt read about, and thought I'd add:
    When you remove the old keypad, you have to take off the two tiny supporting push on grommets holding the board on (I used small wire nips), and snip the zip tie holding the wire down in the middle. Then the board is loose and you can CAREFULLY remove the connector. I was SO happy to see it was the same as the original Laguard. Pay attention to the orientation of the wires so you dont damage the plug. I think the yellow wire was down, but I could be wrong on that - check yours before you remove it. My wire colors were the same, which was reassuring. You wont use the wire that comes with the kit btw, but its nice to have a spare I guess.

My control wire was pretty long from the safe, about 5" and didnt have an inclination to fall back, so no risk there which was nice.

I originally thought I'd have to remove the new buttons like the old to get the faceplate on because I saw the screws on the backside of the new faceplate, then I realized it was a slide on deal (it was in the instructions but I didnt read it close enough the first go around). It also made sense because the new keypad doesnt have a battery door! I was worried about having to change it from the inside or something. It was really nice to know I didnt have to go in the inside of the safe to install it.

The new keypad attaches totally different. I was pretty confused until I realized you just have to insert the two original screws from the faceplate in the TOP AND BOTTOM holes, not completely - leave about a 5mm gap, and set them so the black part will slide on nice and bottom out fully. Remove the black plate, feed the control wire through it, and attach the wire to the new keypad. Then attach the black part to the keypad with the two screws from the new kit. Put a battery in (be careful, those wires are TINY) and slide the assembly on and down on the two screws you secured to the safe earlier being sure to not pinch wires..

I'm still not sure if its necessary to change the actual inner lock mechanism. I have it new sitting here, but my safe works perfectly now. I wonder, what are the failure modes for the inner lock. How do I know when that part is starting to go?

ps - Winchester support was useless. I like my safe but I wont be buying any more winchester products - they dont stand behind them.

Thanks again to BIONIC, you are a life saver, I really appreciate it! My safe works like a charm now.
    Last edited by Sub; November 21st, 2019 at 02:15 AM.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

I did look through every post and maybe I missed it...

How hard is it to remove the door organizer to get to the mechanical bits in the door?

I am confident in replacing the lock and keypad with the hopefully better SG equivalents thanks to BIONIC and Phil at MBA USA, but I wonder if its just a few screws or a mess of glue, etc to take the door line off. Thanks!

I think there are just like 8 screws and the rear cover comes off
    Last edited by Sub; November 22nd, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast