Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So you just need to be faster in entering the code.
    Yeah, if we mere humans could move that fast!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Northampton County)

My god did this old thread get some love today. Mgiffin, I'm really glad that my post helped you out! For anyone curious, the upgrades I made to my Winchester safe 2 years ago are still functioning perfectly. Even after the royal PITA that the Winchester safe put me through, I still think it's one hell of a bang for the buck. Winchester has now switched to an "EMP resistant" S&G lock on the replacement model for the one that I own, further increasing the value. I've also noticed that the safe industry has really caught onto the trend of folks wanting mechanical over electronic locks the last 2 years, because there are WAY more reasonably priced mechanical safes out there today than there was only 2 years ago. Truth be told, I myself switched to a mechanically locking safe for my day-to-day needs about a year ago.

My husband and I are locked out of our safe. I believe we purchased that same model as yours. I bought it for my Husband around Christmas time 3 years ago at Tractor Supply. We purchased a new lock, but we can’t figure out how to get the keypad off to replace it. Do you have any ideas?

Joel & Jacci Mace

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    I felt compelled to pass this info along to others that may own this safe . . .

Almost 3 years ago I purchased this 24 gun Winchester safe from Tractor Supply:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...4-gun-capacity

The electronic lock on this safe worked flawlessly for almost 2.5 years and then I started having to enter the correct code twice almost every time in order to gain access. After about a month of needing to enter it twice it started requiring the code 3 times. At this point I realized there was an issue and I should contact Winchester. Unfortunately I put it on the back burner until the lock would no longer accept our code at all. I replaced the battery thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. We continued to enter the correct code sporadically for 5 days until we finally got lucky and it opened for us. And VERY lucky we were, as there are countless stories out there of owners with this safe never getting back in and having to have it drilled. (and then replaced)

Once we got it open I called Winchester support first and they immediately said that it was out of warranty and that my only recourse was to call a locksmith. I called a local safe locksmith and asked if he could swap out the electronic lock with a manual one. He said it was no problem, came and looked at it, and told me that it would likely be around $380, but that he would get back to me in 24-48 hours with specifics. After 72 hours of nothing I called him and he made it clear that he didn't want the job.

At this point I pulled the locking mechanisms apart to figure out the make/model of the electronic lock and called LaGard, the manufacturer. The woman I spoke with was very forthcoming once I won her over with 20 minutes of idle chitchat . . . turns out that the Model 3710 electronic dial that these safes shipped with have a high rate of failure, particularly when any number is used multiple times in the sequence of your code. She also told me that 99/100 times an electronic lock failure is due to the dial/push-pad failing, not the actual locking unit. (The locking unit on this safe is LaGard part #LG4200) Since the unit was out of warranty she referred me to a company by the name of TimeMaster that specializes in lock replacement parts. This company only sells to distributors and locksmiths, so you need to make it clear that YOU are doing the work, otherwise they won't sell straight to the consumer.

I called up TimeMaster and they told me right off the bat that the 3710 unit is a piece of shit and they fail all the time. He told me that the 3710 unit is no longer manufactured and that the 3715 is the replacement unit. The only issue is that the 3710 mounts with bolts at 3 and 9 o'clock and the 3715 mounts at 6 and 12. Because of this, I ordered the newest and most improved version that mounts up with both patterns, part #3750. That said, the Winchester safe listed in the link above provides mounting holes at 3/6/9/12, so you can save $30 and just go with 3715 as a replacement. Once I got the 3750 ($90 shipped), I replaced the unit and found that the locking mechanism, NOT the dial itself, retains the code and decides whether to unlock the safe or not. I can't say for certain which was the offending unit, but after testing I felt confident that the issue was with the locking unit and not the dial. With that, I called TimeMaster back up and ordered part #LG4200. This ended up being $100 shipped, but after a week of trial, everything seems to be functioning at 100% on the very first try, every time.

It should be noted that we're in/out of the safe at least 4 times a day, so although we suffered a catastrophic failure before 3 years, I imagine the lock will last longer for most people. That said, as soon as you start having to regularly input the code two or three times, DO NOT WAIT, BUY THE REPLACEMENT PARTS. Trust me, it's not worth not being able to get to your belongings. In my case, I bolted the safe into the floor, and the locksmith told me that it would have run us $400-500 to drill it open, plus the cost of disposal and obviously a new safe. So instead of the worst case of over $1,200, or the $380 the locksmith wanted, I spent ~$190 and did it myself. I will not publicly disclose how to dismantle and replace the lock, but if you're in a bind, PM me. I will note that the 3750 dial unit seems to be built MUCH better than the 3710 from both a security and craftsmanship standpoint, so I'm glad I upgraded. Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this safe, at this point I can probably answer the majority of them.

(Berks County)

If your safe door is closed and locked your in a bad way.

(Bucks County)

Not having an electronic locked safe, I don't understand the backup key. May as well have a key-operated safe. What am I missing?

depends on the key. mine's a big ass skeleton key and you have to know how to get to the opening (it's not immediately obvious.)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacci1331 View Post
    My husband and I are locked out of our safe. I believe we purchased that same model as yours. I bought it for my Husband around Christmas time 3 years ago at Tractor Supply. We purchased a new lock, but we can’t figure out how to get the keypad off to replace it. Do you have any ideas?

Joel & Jacci Mace
    Check your PM's, I'll help as best I can.

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Not that bad, I talked her through getting it open in a single email.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    Not that bad, I talked her through getting it open in a single email.

not-sure-if-thats-disturbing-or-awesome.jpg

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast