Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

I have modified my TSC safe so I can bypass keypad and circuit board to open electrically as well as mechanically. Electrically is easy but mechanical mod requires a bit of metal trimming. Remember...these safes are designed to keep out double digit morons that hit and run ..not pro safe crackers..
    Last edited by moe1942; July 9th, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    CMSgt USAF (ret)

Sent you a pm bionic Man. Hopefully you still visit this site. Lol

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
    He posted 5 days ago, so I think you're still good. And if you click on his user name it will take to his profile which lets you know the last time he logged in (same 5 days ago). Give it a week.

This is the email I sent to Winchester regarding my safe:

I am having a problem opening my Winchester gun safe.
    It has an electronic La Guard keypad lock on it.
    Purchased 12.05.2013.
    The battery is new with a voltage of 9.54 volts.
    It will no longer recognize the (correct) combination when entered. It beeps once after every number is pressed and 3 times after the 6th number is entered. If I continue this attempt I am locked out of the key pad for a time. I am 110% sure I am entering the correct combination. I have been attempting this over the past few days with no success.

This is the response I received:

It is a defective keypad. We sell a compatible keypad for $65 and it comes with instructions to install with the door open or closed. Do you want me to call you for payment?

I was pleased to hear that it was likely that I could get into my safe without drilling it. I went ahead and ordered the new key pad. I asked how I was to dismount the current pad since it wouldn't push up, turn or have visible ways to dismount it. I was told I could peal off the "sticker" key pad face and that there would be two screws there to remove. I thought...good to go when I receive the new pad. After seeing what was behind the stick on key pad I wondered it the buttons weren't making contact on the circuit board. When I used a piece of metal to make the connection on the corresponding numbers it registered my combination, gave two beeps and I was in the safe.

If you actually forgot your combination you can recover the factory fail safe opening combination from Winchester. Just go to their website and jump through their hoops to prove it is your safe to get it open.

Not sure why, the site wouldn't allow me to upload a picture of the pad without the number sticker. If needed I can send it direct.

OK, here is the pic, small but it did upload.

Update entry: I removed the stick on keypad again, cleaned the back side of the contact points with alcohol and put it back on. It seems to accept my combination and open the safe without any problems. However, I will put the new keypad on when I receive it. I sure like to have the safe open now before I get the new keypad but it's nice to know that you can put a new keypad on with the door open or closed.

IMG_0733.JPG
    Last edited by 2ride4; July 6th, 2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Update entry

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
    See my PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ride4 View Post
    This is the response I received:

It is a defective keypad. We sell a compatible keypad for $65 and it comes with instructions to install with the door open or closed. Do you want me to call you for payment?

I was pleased to hear that it was likely that I could get into my safe without drilling it. I went ahead and ordered the new key pad. I asked how I was to dismount the current pad since it wouldn't push up, turn or have visible ways to dismount it. I was told I could peal off the "sticker" key pad face and that there would be two screws there to remove. I thought...good to go when I receive the new pad. After seeing what was behind the stick on key pad I wondered it the buttons weren't making contact on the circuit board. When I used a piece of metal to make the connection on the corresponding numbers it registered my combination, gave two beeps and I was in the safe.
    You missed a couple steps there, but you're on the right track.

If you actually forgot your combination you can recover the factory fail safe opening combination from Winchester. Just go to their website and jump through their hoops to prove it is your safe to get it open.
    You need the serial number on the inside of the safe door and a functioning keypad for this to help you.

Not sure why, the site wouldn't allow me to upload a picture of the pad without the number sticker. If needed I can send it direct.
    The website knows better than to publicly post photos of the disassembled keypad.
    Probably best to keep the diassembly details to PM's . . .

BionicMan,
    Wow, I just joined this site to share a significant bit of information I learned about a safe that seems to have problems. I didn't think I would get criticized or picked apart for my information that might help someone.

You must be misinformed about getting into a Winchester safe when the only problem is the keypad. As I quoted from Winchester "it comes with instructions to install with the door open or closed". Please note the OPENED OR CLOSED part. The keypad is only a remote access to the internal works where the code is stored. Go to Winchester's site and research how to open their safes without your code. As I stated you will have to jump through some hoops to prove you own the safe.

FYI, the serial number, at least on mine, is on the inside of the door AND on the front of the safe itself. And yes, if you ONLY forgot your code (not a problem with the keypad itself) you need a working keypad. If you have both, replace the keypad and then have Winchester get you the factory default code to open your serial numbered safe.

Look at my second post, I posted a picture of the keypad without the number sticker on it. My first attempt at uploading a picture failed because my picture was too big, not because it was censored.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ride4 View Post
    BionicMan,
    Wow, I just joined this site to share a significant bit of information I learned about a safe that seems to have problems. I didn't think I would get criticized or picked apart for my information that might help someone.

You must be misinformed about getting into a Winchester safe when the only problem is the keypad. As I quoted from Winchester "it comes with instructions to install with the door open or closed". Please note the OPENED OR CLOSED part. The keypad is only a remote access to the internal works where the code is stored. Go to Winchester's site and research how to open their safes without your code. As I stated you will have to jump through some hoops to prove you own the safe.

FYI, the serial number, at least on mine, is on the inside of the door AND on the front of the safe itself. And yes, if you ONLY forgot your code (not a problem with the keypad itself) you need a working keypad. If you have both, replace the keypad and then have Winchester get you the factory default code to open your serial numbered safe.

Look at my second post, I posted a picture of the keypad without the number sticker on it. My first attempt at uploading a picture failed because my picture was too big, not because it was censored.
    I was being sarcastic, hence the eye roll. I've helped literally hundreds of people get back into their safes over the last 4 years without publicly disclosing how to start disassembling the safe. (and sacrificing current owner's security) You'd know this had you taken the time to read through the thread. The only person misinformed is yourself, young grasshopper.

Bionic,
    Sorry, I was just trying to whisper a solution to a problem, not toot my own horn.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast