Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My FFL- "ATF audit last week; you must bring an upper or its a pistol" 2/12/15

Maybe have the FFL send the lower back, rather than take possession of it and pay what-ever inconvenience fee they may charge you? Ask a few other FFLs if they got the same memo.

Have you transferred a lower through this FFL before as a receiver, and not a pistol?
    Last edited by vinlander; February 20th, 2015 at 09:47 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: My FFL- "ATF audit last week; you must bring an upper or its a pistol" 2/12/15

Gunlawyer how can this be stopped? This is not just guns. Government officials keep changing the rules as they go. This is very bad IMHO for the rule of law. It seems to be getting worse.

I know this nation seems to be out of control but are we at the point of no return with this. I ask you from what you observe first hand in the legal field and how judges are ruling in court.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteMotors View Post
    ...He said the ATF audited him last week, and that he now has to 'register' all lowers as pistols...
    Just curious: Do you mean on question 18 of the 4473 or he needs to file a PSP Application/Record of sale? Or both?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Do I have this correct?

1-If I purchase a complete rifle from an FFL, that lower can never be used under a pistol upper.

2-I am better off purchasing only a lower receiver as an "other" or even a "pistol" if I want to use the lower under both rifle and pistol uppers.

3- Buying a used AR or modular-type firearm is legally dangerous, because I would have no way of knowing in what category the lower started out.

4- I need a shrink to settle down my pissed-off feelings over these nonsensical, accomplish-nothing-but-criminalize laws.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post

Have you transferred a lower through this FFL before as a receiver, and not a pistol?
    I've only used this FFL for actual pistols so far, so no info there. Based on the way he gave me this info without me asking, however, I am very confident that we can assume he has always previously used "other".

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Just curious: Do you mean on question 18 of the 4473 or he needs to file a PSP Application/Record of sale? Or both?
    I did not ask that specific question, but will update after I pick it up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Do I have this correct?

1-If I purchase a complete rifle from an FFL, that lower can never be used under a pistol upper.

2-I am better off purchasing only a lower receiver as an "other" or even a "pistol" if I want to use the lower under both rifle and pistol uppers.

3- Buying a used AR or modular-type firearm is legally dangerous, because I would have no way of knowing in what category the lower started out.

4- I need a shrink to settle down my pissed-off feelings over these nonsensical, accomplish-nothing-but-criminalize laws.

I'll do my best here but will humbly allow more experienced members to correct me-

1- Yes. If purchased new as a rifle, it cannot be built as a pistol. It can still be SBR'd of course.

2- Yes. Pistol only precludes us from selling to another PA resident face-to-face without using an FFL. It does not stop us from legally building the lower into a pistol OR rifle.

3- Yes. The only way to know for sure that a lower has never been a rifle is to buy it brand new yourself. *does anyone know of a way to search for this info?*

4- I'm glad im not the only one. I have achieved the serenity to allow a lot of bad things happen around me, but criminalizing me is absolutely unacceptable. If you're taking the time to read this thread, you and I have both accepted to spend our precious time, effort, and even money just to make sure we never break the law. Staying legal is a full time hobby. Anyone so genuinely ambivalent should never, ever, ever be criminalized.

(Allegheny County)

You do what you want, but I'd shop at Dick's Sporting Goods and Field & Stream on the same day before I'd use that particular FFL for that transfer.

Uh-uh. Nope. No effin' way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You do what you want, but I'd shop at Dick's Sporting Goods and Field & Stream on the same day before I'd use that particular FFL for that transfer.

Uh-uh. Nope. No effin' way.
    No way emptymag?

(Allegheny County)

Fuckin' A.

I would NOT play the games this FFL is suggesting. This paperwork is serious shit. I'm not about to submit to some crazy nonsense because he sez "the ATF sez I gotta do this".

Find another FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Fuckin' A.

I would NOT play the games this FFL is suggesting. This paperwork is serious shit. I'm not about to submit to some crazy nonsense because he sez "the ATF sez I gotta do this".

Find another FFL.
    The consumer isn't going to be on the hook here, unless his paperwork says it was a complete rifle and his plan was to make a pistol, or switch back and forth.

I wouldn't blame the FFL so much. It's certainly possible that the ATF told him this, and you can hardly use common sense to evaluate a system of laws that calls a silencer a "firearm", and treats the mere possession of daddy's WW II bringback up in the attic worse than if you beat up the schoolteacher next door. Pennsylvanians routinely face a 5-year mandatory sentence if they take their PA-licensed car and PA-licensed gun through NJ, because the driver's license is recognized but not the LTCF; is any of that intuitively obvious?

Firearm laws don't inherently make sense, because they focus on the tools, and not on the criminals, and because so many of the laws are arbitrary & capricious. Why should a 10 round mag be illegal in NY, or a 30 round mag be illegal in NJ, but not in most states?

If we disregarded every ATF position that made no sense or ran contrary to the statutes, we'd be in worse trouble than we already are in an industry that's despised by the elites and the media. The best solution is for the FFL to demand the advice in writing, and escalate through ATF, starting with the field office. Because there's other written guidance that conflicts with this, and at the end of the day, if anyone's going to get screwed over bad advice, it will be the FFL.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

I'd still use someone else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast