Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default One solution bore cleaner and lube

This spring I am going on a one month photo expedition into the woodlands along the Appalachian Trail. I will be camping and carrying everything on my person. The car will be left at home. I need to travel as light as possible. I will be carrying my Ruger Lc9s Pro, and I have no idea whether I will have occasion to fire it or not. If I do, i want to be able to clean and lube it. I have a very compact cleaning kit that weighs only a few ounces. Normally, I use separate bore cleaner and lube solutions. But to cut down on weight I want to find a combined product that has a good reputation. I will pare it down to a 4 oz. plastic bottle so it does not matter if the product comes only in larger sizes. Any recommendations?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: One solution bore cleaner and lube

Ballistol ?

Quote Originally Posted by E70x5 View Post
    Ballistol ?
    **This**

(Tioga County)

Froglube in that situation would be best. I can see many bore cleaners and oils leaking out everywhere and being a major mess and PITA while hiking.

Froglube even makes it in paste form, which I think would be easiest to carry. I often use it as a bore cleaner. Just rub a patch in the paste, run it through the bore and then dry patch it till clean. Then wipe another patch through the paste, run it on the frame rails or anywhere else that needs lube. The paste would be solid, light and compact. For your needs I would think a 1 oz bit of the paste in a tiny plastic jar would be enough for one month.

If I was in your shoes that's what I would do.

(Berks County)

From what I hear from friends & family who have gone on the Appalachian Trail, it's extremely common for people to bring too much & ship it home after a couple of days. I bet you could get by with no lube or cleaning kit for a month trip. Alternately, I think those Rem Oil wipes can be purchased in small travel packs. Maybe that would be a good alternate to a container of oil & cleaning kit?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    From what I hear from friends & family who have gone on the Appalachian Trail, it's extremely common for people to bring too much & ship it home after a couple of days. I bet you could get by with no lube or cleaning kit for a month trip. Alternately, I think those Rem Oil wipes can be purchased in small travel packs. Maybe that would be a good alternate to a container of oil & cleaning kit?
    Another good idea. Ballistol makes wipes as well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Another good idea. Ballistol makes wipes as well.
    Sounds like a good solution. I did not know about them. Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

I have humped that trail every other year for over ten years. I do travel light. I never have sent anything home. I have things mailed to general delivery at post offices along the way, and then I pick them up: mostly dehydrated food and trail mix.

While I have owned a pistol for years it was for home defense. Last year I started carrying every day. I will carry on the trail. The problem will be that summer humidity and trail dust will make for a dirty gun along the way. The suggestion of wipes that was made below seems like the best answer.

(Berks County)

That's true, I bet you'll be getting quite "crusty" along the trail.

I'd love to go someday. My cousin went last year & the whole family had fun seeing his progress as he posted photos via Facebook.

Have a good time & stay safe!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Froglube in that situation would be best. I can see many bore cleaners and oils leaking out everywhere and being a major mess and PITA while hiking.

Froglube even makes it in paste form, which I think would be easiest to carry. I often use it as a bore cleaner. Just rub a patch in the paste, run it through the bore and then dry patch it till clean. Then wipe another patch through the paste, run it on the frame rails or anywhere else that needs lube. The paste would be solid, light and compact. For your needs I would think a 1 oz bit of the paste in a tiny plastic jar would be enough for one month.

If I was in your shoes that's what I would do.
    ^ this. Take some FL, a boresnake, and a rag. You'll be set.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast