Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Question Anyone Have a S&W 360PD?

Anyone have the scandium frame titanium cylinder 357mag snub nose?
    I really like how it feels and obviously the weight and size. Not sure How it shoots with a stout 357mag HP or a +p HP and would really like to try one before I buy something I might immediately turn around and sell, im not recoil sensitive and shoot 1000+rds a mo in 9/40/45 but I dont want something thats like a grenade going off in my hand. I live in Washington and have a range in my yard so If you want to bring her over and some of your other guns your welcome to shoot some of my idpa steel targets and paper out to 70Yards.

I also dont know much about revolvers or whats on the market besides that, how anyone have an ultra light (under 16oz) 44mag as another option?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone Have a S&W 360PD?

Had one sold it, it was the heaviest recoiling gun I've ever shot. It was so heavy with 357's that the other bullets in the cylinder would come apart from the recoil it would jam the gun.

I called it the "most expensive bullet puller" It is like a grenade going off in your hand.

(Mercer County)

Have you ever shot a 6-9 inch bbl .44? The felt recoil is about double that, at least in my hands. It is my opinion that any advantage you gain in firing .357s out of such a light revolver is lost in your ability to make quick follow-up shots, and subsequent lack of range time due to the pain involved. Get a 642/442, or better yet, a 640.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Have you ever shot a 6-9 inch bbl .44? The felt recoil is about double that, at least in my hands. It is my opinion that any advantage you gain in firing .357s out of such a light revolver is lost in your ability to make quick follow-up shots, and subsequent lack of range time due to the pain involved. Get a 642/442, or better yet, a 640.
    I forgot about the pain part, my hand would swell up after about 5 shots, worst gun ever.

If you shoot 38's only it's not bad, but why waste the extra money and as sprrdhawk44 said, get a 642/442.

(Washington County)

Ive got no interest in a 38 at all, id rather carry any one of my other guns and figure if I want a small pocket rocket/car gun/backup gun it better at least pack some sort of punch, even if its not something I want to shoot 3 boxes thru after eating lunch on a tuesday afternoon.
    I had a 357mag taurus 627 6in that I literally would shoot left handed upside down with my pinky at 70yrds and that thing felt like a 22mag going off and thats probally what an extra 30oz gets you. I know the weight has a lot to do with it but I cant imagine a little 357 thumping harder than a 3in kimber .45 with +p+ in it. Or is it a quick jerky snap/flip vs an actual recoil impulse with it?

Are we talking micro 380acp or keltec pf9 type or snap or something otherworldly here? Looking at a few women and some 14yr old on youtube shooting them with claimed normal 357 loads they looks like they could handle it and I certainly can handle a pistol if I must say so.

Its also got that "2nd kind of cool" that Nutnfancy talks about on his channel, an ultra light, exotic material bad ass pocket blaster is just cool.

Or do I jump up and forget it completely and go with something similar in size to what I normally carry (FNS9/G23/1911) and go with the SW329PD 4in in 44mag? More than double the weight, bigger sight radius etc etc etc The standard 44mag loads are about the same fps/grain/energy as the +P+ in my .45 so power/recoil wise I have wiggle room up or down and 44special is leaps and bounds beyond a 38 +p. And Im not a "stopping power guy" shoot someone in the eye with a 22short will do the trick every single time.

** what im really looking for is something with "sense of occasion" that is still practical. Similar too all the rifles I shoot every week then hopping on a buddies 50bmg once a month kind of deal, not often enuff to lose the X factor but enuff that you feel like your getting your moneys worth out of it.
    Last edited by Dont4get2doubletap; February 19th, 2015 at 02:11 AM.

(Berks County)

Not wanting to be a smart ass here but you got your answer and don't want to believe it. I have the first sc/ti j frame. It slaps. The trigger guard raps middle finger on the joint. It is not pain free. It's not a grenade, you get to keep your hand. It's a hard fast flip not a wrist bending 460 or 500. If you carry it a lot the finish will wear. It's made to carry not shoot. Ammo sensitive as others say it tends to pull bullets it don't like. It's lighter then plastic. Some of them crack. If you have all your bases covered and can fit in a "cause I want one" gun, go buy it. If you are looking to fill a working "going to shoot more then a cylinder or two every chance I get" gun then stay away. I hope that helps.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dont4get2doubletap View Post
    Ive got no interest in a 38 at all, id rather carry any one of my other guns and figure if I want a small pocket rocket/car gun/backup gun it better at least pack some sort of punch, even if its not something I want to shoot 3 boxes thru after eating lunch on a tuesday afternoon.
    .38 Special is a very capable self-defense round when using quality ammunition. For instance, Buffalo Bore's 20A 158 grain LSWCHP load achieves over 1,000 FPS and 380 ft/lb of energy at the end of a two inch barrel, as well as averaging 14 inches of penetration. It's very controllable, as well. It's a good load.

I had a 357mag taurus 627 6in that I literally would shoot left handed upside down with my pinky at 70yrds and that thing felt like a 22mag going off and thats probally what an extra 30oz gets you. I know the weight has a lot to do with it but I cant imagine a little 357 thumping harder than a 3in kimber .45 with +p+ in it. Or is it a quick jerky snap/flip vs an actual recoil impulse with it?
    Video?
    Believe it. I am not aware of any commercial +p+ .45 ACP ammunition available from a factory. You have to move into .45 Super. +p out of a Colt Defender is nothing compared to the felt recoil of a .357 Mag fired out a revolver weighing less than eleven and a half ounces. It's a very severe snap. The round touches off, and then your hand stings.

Are we talking micro 380acp or keltec pf9 type or snap or something otherworldly here? Looking at a few women and some 14yr old on youtube shooting them with claimed normal 357 loads they looks like they could handle it and I certainly can handle a pistol if I must say so.
    No, it isn't comparable to any of those. Almost anybody can shoot one, but can they train with it? I've shot one several times. I didn't shit my pants or fall down on the ground sobbing in agony, but it's not fun. I've never met somebody who wanted to shoot more than 4 cylinders worth out of one, and that's what training is: repetition. It's hard to train on something that hurts your hand. It does nothing but induce a flinch, which is counter productive.

Its also got that "2nd kind of cool" that Nutnfancy talks about on his channel, an ultra light, exotic material bad ass pocket blaster is just cool.
    He is an annoying, long-winded douchebag.

Or do I jump up and forget it completely and go with something similar in size to what I normally carry (FNS9/G23/1911) and go with the SW329PD 4in in 44mag? More than double the weight, bigger sight radius etc etc etc The standard 44mag loads are about the same fps/grain/energy as the +P+ in my .45 so power/recoil wise I have wiggle room up or down and 44special is leaps and bounds beyond a 38 +p. And Im not a "stopping power guy" shoot someone in the eye with a 22short will do the trick every single time.
    Unless you have a throbber for Dirty Harry, leave the .44 mag in the movies, or use it for hunting. It over penetrates WAY too much to be used for self-defense. Yeah, you can load .44 spcls if you want, but that doesn't make much sense as you're handicapping yourself in ammunition selection and choices.

** what im really looking for is something with "sense of occasion" that is still practical. Similar too all the rifles I shoot every week then hopping on a buddies 50bmg once a month kind of deal, not often enuff to lose the X factor but enuff that you feel like your getting your moneys worth out of it.
    You'd be better served by firing the BB load I referenced above out of a steel (or even airweight) J Frame running .30 splits in controlled pairs, than you would a .357 mag fired out of an 11.4 ounce revolver taking three-quarters to a second between shots due to the obnoxious recoil.

Look man, buy it if you want it. This is America. It just doesn't make sense, not to me at least. That said, it doesn't need to make sense to me. I've seen more than a couple people buy a 360, and end up having a .38 spcl that cost them $400-$500 more than everyone else's.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; February 19th, 2015 at 03:28 AM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

No Scandium Smiths, or any scandium anything for me.

I know a guy that has a 329PD. I shot 3 rounds of full house .44 mag out of it and handed it back to him. Felt like I got hit in the palm with a 90 MPH fastball.

Horrendous. My wrist hurt for 2 days after.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

I have the 360SC, which was made for only a year or two and i believe it became the PD. It is a light gray color, titanium cylinder, and scandium frame. It is very light, weighs about 12 oz.

Kicks like a damn mule, but it is a BUG for me. I keep it on my ankle, and only shot it a few times so far. I like it for its purpose. Very lightweight, i forget it is even there sometimes. If the time comes when i need to use it, recoil will be the last thing on my mind.

(Washington County)

Thanks for some replys guys.

Im not doubting the 38spl as for its power, just that I already have a carry piece that I run the buffalo bore +P+ 147 9mm out of and I dont really like having two of the same power lever calibers in a carry piece, especialy when one is 18rds and one is 5. I just need to be able to shoot it enuff and run it thru my course to get the muscle memory developed for a revolver which I have never shot as a tactical/defense weapon (just long range plinking with that 357 i had)

I suppose I really just need to shoot one to know. It probally wont see more than 100rds the first week Id get it and then 5-10shots once every other week after that for its life. It will be taking the place of my tcp738 .380 if I go this route. If no replacement comes for the 380's spot I have a saturday night special .25acp that you wouldn't believe how accurate it is out to 25yrds and is smaller than a credit card as the back up piece.

The 44mag is cool and the barrel is long enough I can send it out to get ported and it would just be a new gun to add to the carry rotation of semi to full size guns.

I bought 21 guns since new years 2014 and have sold 10 of them, I go thru guns pretty often and I really hate buying something and immediately hating them, the revolvers are a pretty risky proposition to me since I have no real experience with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast