Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Gun was turned into the police, how can I get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    All of these things are easily done with keys? Most cars made in the last 15 years or so have a fob that can even help whomever isn't familiar with your car find it by remotely sounding the horn?

The same could be said of pocket knives, sporting equipment, and anything else someone could use as a weapon. Criminals will seek out tools to commit crimes. Someone accidentally coming into contact with something that could be used in the commission of a crime isn't instantly going to turn into a criminal.

My comparison is meant to be ludicrous because it is. People misplace dangerous items all the time without ill intentions.
    Nothing you have posted has made it OK to do what the OP posted, plain and simple. You are missing the point which is very hard to do since it is right in front of you. Anything else is wasted effort.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Actually losing your firearm is a very big deal, it's not your car keys, your wallet of your favorite Chapstick. While carrying everyone needs to be highly aware of the location of our weapon at all times. Shit happening can result in some gang banger getting a new toy to kill some inoscent or some kid finds it and does a quick trigger pull and kills another patron at the restaurant. Forgive me all to hell but I take weapons security and accountability very seriously. Retention is very important to the point of an idiot cord for those who get separated from their weapons. This isn't a matter to be treated lightly, EVER.
    .....and at no time did I say it was not a big deal or something to be treated lightly. I also don't think he should be condemned as being completely irresponsible either.

(Montgomery County)

With rights come responsibilities. I hope I never get so comfortable and complacent that I forget I am carrying my firearm.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by skeelo View Post
    I went down to the police station today, apparently the officer I was trying to get a hold of does not even work at that zone. They said the gun has been sent to the crime lab and there's not a thing I can do until they're done processing it. Once that's done they said I'll need to go to Common Pleas Court to get it back as SteelCityK9Cop stated. Honestly I'll be surprised if I ever see it again, lesson learned.

Could not have said it better!
    Crime lab means it will come back with a serial# engraved on it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Too late.

Something falls out of its designated location, and that's a "complete lack of responsibility"? Really? That's all it takes? That's right up there with leaving your gun on the dash of your car while you run into the local Stop n' Rob to get cigarettes?

I had a "close call" once - wasn't really, but SEEMED like it. I was on a motorcycle trip and I stopped at a local Stop n' Rob to get gas and take a dump. I did both. Now, when I take a dump, I have a habit of removing my pistol and putting it down on the toilet paper dispenser, hanging it on the hook on the back of the door if there is one (along with my jacket), or some other convenient location - because I don't want it falling out of my holster onto the floor, some pervert looking under the stall and seeing a gun (and maybe grabbing it), or whatever. Anyway, I finish my business and leave.

I'm riding down the road, not very far from the Stop n' Rob and I'm feeling for my pistol. Right there, right-side, IWB. Because I'm paranoid. I know I put it back there - but I check several times anyway. Don't feel it! I'm thinking, "holy shit - I left it in the john!!" So I turn around at the next light, start riding back - feeling for my pistol - thinking about what I'm going to say when I get back there. On the way back, I feel my piece - right where it was supposed to be. Was there the whole time. Certainly gave me some things to think about.

Shit does happen. Just because it does, doesn't mean one exercised a "complete lack of responsibility".
    I think it does show that someone exercised a complete lack of responsbility, he didnt leave his cell phone, he didnt loose his wallet, he didnt misplace his car keys...

He left a loaded gun behind that mangaed its way out of what should be a very secure location, unless you are carrying a 25acp pocket vest gun, how could you even not feel that?

You providing the example of leaving it on the dash of your car as not being irresponsbile...just makes me laugh out loud hard Or if you are saying thats irresponsible, how does that differ from the other scenerio?

Rights = responsibilities...some weigh more than others...id say carrying a firearm weighs a ton in terms of responsibility
    Last edited by Svickstc; February 23rd, 2015 at 01:52 PM.

(Northumberland County)

do you still have the state police transfer paper when you bought the gun and had it transferred in your name? bring that and show them they cannot refuse you with that paper cuz it shows ownership.

i keep all my SP transfer papers in a lockbox so i can prove all the guns i have are mine.

Where did you purchase it from?

Another way to prove ownership is to go to where you purchased it from. Most dealers will gladly give you a photocopy of the disposition book for your purchase.

(Bucks County)

The neural system of the body quickly learns to accept and ignore tactile signals and in fact will fill in the "feeling" for a time. That's how pick-pockets and magicians can remove the watch from your wrist and hand it back to you minutes later.

Something that works for a long time becomes reliable and trustworthy, like brakes on a sedan, until something breaks.

We learn not to keep feeling for and checking for the presence of a carried firearm, to avoid a "tell". In this case it worked against the carrier.

Avoiding placement of the gun into evidence is unlikely if the officer leaves the scene with the gun. It has to go into the evidence vault along with a property receipt.

The officer was likely truthful when he said he would try to resolve the matter and return the gun. He probably ran into a supervisor who said, "no way".

It was an unfortunate happening that as said could have turned out worse. I'd just buy another gun and do whatever it takes to try to get the seized gun returned, but be prepared for a wear-down process that at some point may become not worth it or impractical.

I am concerned that the incident may be viewed as evidence of irresponsibility and your LTCF being rescinded on that basis. That happening could be a tough situation, because it is within the realm of the sheriff's opinion and may be difficult to overturn.

The police department has already set the stage for your being held accountable for endangering others. They may wind up charging you along that theory, if for no other reason but to cover their seizing your property.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I am concerned that the incident may be viewed as evidence of irresponsibility and your LTCF being rescinded on that basis. That happening could be a tough situation, because it is within the realm of the sheriff's opinion and may be difficult to overturn.
    I would expect this is a very real possibility.

(Lawrence County)

You guys live too close to Jerseydelphia, that shit isn't going to happen over here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast