Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S&W shield 9mm self defense ammo

What ammo are you guys carrying in your short barreled 9mm guns? Right now I have Speer 115 grain but I was thinking about switching to a +p round for my 3" barreled shield. I saw buffalo bore was in sale for $1 per round but it did have a bad review. What are you guys carrying? thanks.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: S&W shield 9mm self defense ammo

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    What ammo are you guys carrying in your short barreled 9mm guns? Right now I have Speer 115 grain but I was thinking about switching to a +p round for my 3" barreled shield. I saw buffalo bore was in sale for $1 per round but it did have a bad review. What are you guys carrying? thanks.
    First I think the movie Wyatt Erp was a great movie. I tried 9mms for a while and I find them lacking proper stopping power .If I were to carry one for self defence I would prefer a heavyer load say the 147 gr hollow point. I would go with the 40 s&w over the 9mm. I carry a .45acp with 230 gr. xtp/hp in my carry gun. I find it has better stopping power. If a 9mm is all you have to carry then by all means a +p load would be the way to go but go heavy on the grain bullet for better effect. Iwould would prefer slow and heavy before fast and light.

Cor-Bon DPX 115gr. +P.
    Proudly served.

Federal HST 124g
    http://youtu.be/-lGqdMdbir0

Same guy also has a BB 115g +p test as well. Check it out.

I firmly believe that there is no better round then a 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot. They are proven LE round that is very available and affordable compared to some of that fancy crap like BB. Invest in a few hundred rounds make sure your Shield runs them fine, mine does very well with them and if your happy pick up a few hundred more.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 17th, 2015 at 03:08 AM.

(Mercer County)

Speer's short barrel load would work well in that application, as that's what it's designed for. People overthink the whole ammuntion thing. As long as you're carrying a modern, proven hollow point, you'll be fine. Provided of course, you do your job and put it where it needs to go.

As far as the whole 9mm vs 45 thing the above poster touched on, that's largely been debunked and nullified by modern hollow point ammunition. As far as terminal ballistics are concerned, when dealing with modern hollow points, the difference between the most commonly carried pistol cartridges is negligible. Also, I'm not big on 147 grain 9mm hollow points. Often, they don't reach the speed necessary to engender full expansion, thus over penetrating in soft tissue. If you're going to go "big and heavy," go big and heavy. Not 9mm big and heavy.

Furthermore, a lighter bullet moving quickly has proven itself repeatedly to be very effective in stopping people. That was, in fact, how the .357SIG came to be. They were trying to duplicate the seemingly magical performance of a .357 mag, by pushing a 125 grain bullet over 1,300 feet per second.

9mm, .40s&w, or .45 ACP makes no difference. Put a good hollow point where it needs to go, as many times as needed to cease the threat. It's that simple.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by range saftey officer View Post
    First I think the movie Wyatt Erp was a great movie. I tried 9mms for a while and I find them lacking proper stopping power .If I were to carry one for self defence I would prefer a heavyer load say the 147 gr hollow point. I would go with the 40 s&w over the 9mm. I carry a .45acp with 230 gr. xtp/hp in my carry gun. I find it has better stopping power. If a 9mm is all you have to carry then by all means a +p load would be the way to go but go heavy on the grain bullet for better effect. Iwould would prefer slow and heavy before fast and light.

Pretty much everything you stated has been proven incorrect by today's modern ballistic testing with modern bullet technology which is why most LE dpts including the Feds have gone back to 9mm and also why there are thousands of .40 cal police trade in pistols on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by range saftey officer View Post
    I tried 9mms for a while and I find them lacking proper stopping power
    how many people have you shot... ?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Speer's short barrel load would work well in that application, as that's what it's designed for. People overthink the whole ammuntion thing. As long as you're carrying a modern, proven hollow point, you'll be fine. Provided of course, you do your job and put it where it needs to go.

As far as the whole 9mm vs 45 thing the above poster touched on, that's largely been debunked and nullified by modern hollow point ammunition. As far as terminal ballistics are concerned, when dealing with modern hollow points, the difference between the most commonly carried pistol cartridges is negligible. Also, I'm not big on 147 grain 9mm hollow points. Often, they don't reach the speed necessary to engender full expansion, thus over penetrating in soft tissue. If you're going to go "big and heavy," go big and heavy. Not 9mm big and heavy.

Furthermore, a lighter bullet moving quickly has proven itself repeatedly to be very effective in stopping people. That was, in fact, how the .357SIG came to be. They were trying to duplicate the seemingly magical performance of a .357 mag, by pushing a 125 grain bullet over 1,300 feet per second.

9mm, .40s&w, or .45 ACP makes no difference. Put a good hollow point where it needs to go, as many times as needed to cease the threat. It's that simple.
    /\ THIS /\ . . . I use these in my P239:

http://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-lug...-hollow-point/

(Philadelphia County)

I've had the caliber war with myself over the years. I started with .357, then .45 then .40 and now 9mm. someday maybe I'll even trust .380, who knows.

I don't like .40 because I do a lot of dry fire practice and I've read rechambering rounds causes set back and the round is already high pressure plus Theres a whole thread about shields cracking and failing in .40.

I carry the shield in my pocket when my glock 19 isnt possible and I carry a glock 19 because the rounds are cheaper which allows me to practice more this being the most accurate in my hands with better follow up shots.

I have speed for now so I'm not in any kind of rush to buy the new carry ammo but I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced so I can afford to buy and practice a lot with it. The speed 124 short barrel sounds good and I'll look I to it.

Thanks so far
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast