Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Need specific tax stamp info about putting a twelve inch barrel on an existing lower.

Heres the case.....I currently have two ARs. I may be interested in making one a sbr by simply purchasing and installing a twelve inch barrel. Obviously the barrel can be acquired without the stamp but what legally has to be done before I mount it?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Washington County)

Default Re: Need specific tax stamp info about putting a twelve inch barrel on an existing lo

You need the approved Form 1 and receiver engraving done before you assemble the rifle in the SBR configuration.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Need specific tax stamp info about putting a twelve inch barrel on an existing lo

Despite what some may tell you, you may not possess the short barrel (any and all parts to make an SBR) in your case without,

A: A lower that is not a rifle. Many people buy a lower they are going to SBR stripped and put a pistol extension on and build/shoot it that way. Then you can buy and test all the future SBR parts without causing a legal issue. Just having the pistol extensioned lower is enough to be "safe" as well as it shows intent to build a pistol. YOU MAY NOT JUST SWAP A PISTOL EXTENSION ONTO ONE OF YOUR RIFLES IT"S ALWAYS A RIFLE. wierd I know, but it's the ATF.

B: A registered SBR lower.

In your case you may just want to SBR one of your lowers, as they are tested for non issues. Once you register it, you are pretty much married to it as even if later you de register it and get out of NFA stuff no one wants a lower with your name on it needless to say it's good to have one that is in spec/drops mags free etc.

And yes there are some poor souls out there who bought some brand name lowers to SBR only to find they were way out of spec after going through the process.

Some people buy the SBR parts and leave them at a friend/family members house, but that is not recommended. It's just easier to follow the law to the letter.

You need to file a form1 to apply to build the SBR and register one of your lowers. You have several routes that you can do that with (trust, corp, individual), just research ATF Form 1 and how to SBR a lower. Each method has pros and cons, you'll have to decide.

I have my own LLC so I went that way.

You fill out the form 1 and include a check or usps m/o for $200 and send it to the NFA branch in Needy, WV. If you go individual you need to get a sig from a chief LEO and send a fingerprint card too. The $200 pays for a cancelled NFA stamp with the serial number of your weapon.

Once you file your paperwork, you must engrave the lower with your name and the city you are going to build the weapon in (you are the manufacturer after all ). I used the local trophy shop with a banging fiber laser.

Wait times are down. If you go the trust or LLC route you can file online with the ATF and usually wait around 30 - 60 days or so or less.

Paper applications take time, I waited 8 months, most are coming back in 3-4 months now.

When the ATF approves your application you will receive your cancelled tax stamp via mail (paper) or a digital e stamp (e file).

At that point, and only at that point you can build your SBR by aquiring the parts or if you have the pistol put together you can put a rifle extension/stock on. Also prepare for a serious wallet raping adventure because NFA stuff is contagious.

Also with your 1 SBR'd lower you can buy as many short uppers you want and swap them. You do not have to notify the ATF unless you permanently change the gun's configuration from what you file under ( OAL/Caliber). (note this starts the possession process again, so you can't have any empty rifle lowers sitting around for multiple short uppers.)

You'll also need a can to go with your titties SBR.

I hope that helps a bit, if I missed anything or you need more help PM me.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; February 15th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Heres the case.....I currently have two ARs. I may be interested in making one a sbr by simply purchasing and installing a twelve inch barrel. Obviously the barrel can be acquired without the stamp but what legally has to be done before I mount it?
    I will be succinct, NO!, and this has to do with you already having AR rifles.

Paraphrasing the bus66 (he sometimes uses too many words, including the word 'titties'), stamp it, then get the barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

Splitty must have been bored to type all of that. There is a sticky for that.

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...xperience.html

(Berks County)

AR parts are super cheap right now. Just get a new lower (virgin / never built as a rifle) to SBR & build it as a pistol until your stamp comes back.

You will need a suppressor.