Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Supreme Court Shakeup: Gormley and Kistler nominations

Gov. Wolf has made two nominations for Pa. Supreme Court, Duquesne law school dean Ken Gormley, author of a treatise on the Pennsylvania Constitution, and Centre County Court of Common Pleas President Judge Thomas Kistler, original condemnor of Pa. residents carrying concealed firearms with reciprocated licenses of other states. The aim is to get confirmation by the state Senate by Mar. 9, beginnning of the next term of court. Costa and Corman made the picks. What do we know about the 2A/sec.21 position of these nominees, and any of their past official acts related to firearms? It seems like time is of the essence to learn about them and contact our senators, to say for/against.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Supreme Court Shakeup: Gormley and Kistler nominations

If Wolf nominated them they probably believe that only idiots believe the Constitution means anything. Karl Marx would probably be to right of these people.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

As much as I don't like hearing this the people of our great state elected this waste into office. PA is quickly becoming an OBAMAnation! Thanks Gov.

Hmmm what a surprise hes appointing his legacy so soon after swearing in. This is a bigger cup of poison than just electing coyote. Ten Years the guys get to serve, unless they hit 70 first. All you Corbett haters, go ahead and choke on these turds for ten years. And it just gets better and better. Coyote has another three whole years left in his term, providing he doesn't get reelected.
    The Pennsylvania Supreme Court consists of seven justices, each elected to ten year terms. Supreme Court judicial candidates may run on party tickets. The justice with the longest continuous service on the court automatically becomes Chief Justice. Justices must step down from the Supreme Court when they reach the age of 70, although they may continue to serve part-time as "senior justices" on panels of the Commonwealth's lower appellate courts until they reach 78, the age of mandatory retirement

at least we can impeach these guys though, unlike the Attorney General.

Courtesy of Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme...f_Pennsylvania
    Last edited by bigandy1966; February 14th, 2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Hmmm what a surprise hes appointing his legacy so soon after swearing in. This is a bigger cup of poison than just electing coyote. Ten Years the guys get to serve, unless they hit 70 first. All you Corbett haters, go ahead and choke on these turds for ten years. And it just gets better and better. Coyote has another three whole years left in his term, providing he doesn't get reelected.
    The Pennsylvania Supreme Court consists of seven justices, each elected to ten year terms. Supreme Court judicial candidates may run on party tickets. The justice with the longest continuous service on the court automatically becomes Chief Justice. Justices must step down from the Supreme Court when they reach the age of 70, although they may continue to serve part-time as "senior justices" on panels of the Commonwealth's lower appellate courts until they reach 78, the age of mandatory retirement

at least we can impeach these guys though, unlike the Attorney General.

Courtesy of Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme...f_Pennsylvania
    Correct me if I'm wrong but these appointee positions are up for election this November, correct?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

But but but Corbet cut indoctrination funding ya know.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Westmoreland County)

Apologies. The appointees would sit until Jan 2016, when this year's elected would take those seats. Gormley and Kistler are said to have pledged not to run for the election this year. Kistler is R and Gormley is D, which is why this is being touted as a bipartisan move, and why Corman and Costa are mentioned (senate majority and minority leader, right?) I do not think it is insubstantial that their tenure is less than a year or that they won't be returning for this ten years. Couldn't it be a matter of one or a handful of cases to change everything?

(Lancaster County)

Time to work up a recall provision bill?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

I called Jake Corman's office at week's end to ask when the confirmation vote is anticipated, and after the calltaker said he needed to look into it, returned my call and told me nothing is known about anything, that it all simply needs done by March 9. How is it that the office of the Senate Majority Leader and the head of the Rules and Executive Nominations Committee has no idea about the process that is going to occur and then wrap up in only days?

It turns out that on Feb. 18, the R&ENs Committee rereferred the nomination to the Judiciary Committee. The Exec. Nominations Calendar shows quite a number of nominees to take care of Monday, Feb. 23, and the Senate doesn't start until 1 p.m.! i can't find anything thay suggests there is a time period alloted for hearings or any vote to be taken, withtin the Jud. Committee or the entire Senate.

If anyone is more familiar with the process, it would be helpful to know what is about to happen, in case it is significant. Calling around the day of a significant event will probably be futile, for anyone whom might want to observe or influence the process. I thank you ahead of time for letting us know!

(Bucks County)

House Bill to increase state judges retirement age!

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/ind...e_state_j.html