Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Banksville boilermakers union to offer free training to those who surrender guns

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/7...#axzz3RgD76ieG

Raymond Ventrone figured there had to be a better way to get people to surrender guns than offering “a few hundred dollars or a Giant Eagle gift card.”
    “I've never thought that was much incentive to turn a gun in for guys who make $2,000 or $3,000 a week selling drugs,” he said. “Let's go a step further and offer them a career.”
    Ventrone, business manager of Boilermakers Local 154 in Banksville, convinced his union to partner with Pittsburgh and Allegheny County police departments to establish a “Guns for Opportunity” program that offers anyone who turns in a gun the opportunity for free technical education and a career.
    Police will collect and dispose of surrendered guns — no questions asked — and the Boilermakers will enroll participants in welding school.
    Ventrone said he wants to provide alternate opportunities to neighborhoods hard hit by violence and crime.
    “We're going to go into each neighborhood, ask them to lay down their arms and give them the opportunity to come into our trade,” he said. “But they're going to have to work. They're not just going to give their guns and become a boilermaker the next day.”
    Classroom work, bookwork and testing are involved — training that Ventrone said would cost $25,000 to $30,000 at a trade school.
    It generally takes about six months to a year to become a certified welder, he said.
    “One of the best ways to take a gun out of someone's hand is to replace it with a paycheck,” said Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto, who attended the ceremony announcing the program Thursday.
    The first collection will take place Feb. 24 in Braddock. Ventrone said he hopes to make Pittsburgh's Homewood neighborhood the second location.
    “We want to take a shot and see how it goes,” he said.

(York County)

Default Re: Banksville boilermakers union to offer free training to those who surrender guns

I'm ashamed.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Banksville boilermakers union to offer free training to those who surrender guns

I'm surprised Streaker had not yet found this thread, posted a link to where it has been previously discussed, and closed this thread.

I'm not as good with the search feature on the forum to find the other thread.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I'm surprised Streaker had not yet found this thread, posted a link to where it has been previously discussed, and closed this thread.

Like this? http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/27...hlight=welding
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/27...k-concept.html