Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sandy Hook Commission Report

TL'DR "I wholeheartedly, from a rational standpoint reject the findings of this report because of a colossal lack of evidence, a dogmatic approach to control, a anti rights wish list seeking a gun free utopia, and failure to suggest any practical way of protecting our children."
    My entire analysis, which isn't complete in this script- is 18 minutes long is on the draft report that is scheduled to be published tomorrow. It can be summed up as follows:

*Ban black scary rifles because they are more lethal

*Guarantee law abiding peoples rights by banning access to weapons that the Constitution codifies guaranteeance to.

*Ban black scary rifles because ammunition is lethal, and the guns are more lethal than pappy's hunting rifle.

*Require registration of all firearms so that a crazy person doesn't go and kill a bunch of kids (no supporting evidence).

*Banning military look-a-likes isn't enough. We need to ban everything that isn't a hunting rifle (anything over 10 rounds should be banned).

*Give more power to law enforcement, the military and the government and take it from the people

*No supporting evidence whatsoever. Inconsistent, red herrings.

*Fallacious arguments.

*Before you exercise your basic rights, you need to be screened, taxed and interrogated.

*Hypocrisy unbound.

*Begin "soft" confiscation

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/13/newto...rial-numbered/

To be episode/blog article of mine: I apologize for spelling errors. I read off of my script and check later for spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89
    The Sandy Hook Commission report is set to be released tomorrow, conveniently on a day when they feel that emotions will be 'in the air' and 'ripe' for gun bans. So I am here to take a look at their findings with respect to firearms. Everyone knows that I tear anti-rights advocates apart on this channel, but we are going to offer a rational based look at the report. I must warn you though that you will see tired arguments everywhere from these anti rights advocates, and I have not even read the report yet and I know what is coming. Page by page, we will look at the arguments put forth by this 'commission' which is supposed to be fair and unbiased. We'll see.

Starting at the beginning of the firearms report, we see the rhetoric right off the bat, acknowledging that there is considerable debate about the topic of firearms in the United States. However, when you read 'deprives us of the serenity that we all deserve' that is indicative to me a naiitivity about the world and how it works, in that it is chaotic. I hold my tongue, let's look at the rest of the report and see how they plan to achieve this utopia.

Down here the report highlights the 'lethality of the weapons used'. You will see the argument in the future that 'assault rifles' are more lethal because they are evil, scary, military like and have high capacity ammunition clips, to put it in the words of the uninformed. I find it very cute that the report says it is not rooted in 'dogma' or an 'ingrained world view', whatever the latter means. I will determine for myself if this report is anti-rights dogma or not. Creating its own context, the commission argues that it is being 'pragmatic' and not 'dogmatic' about the situation. I can already smell their deception a mile away. "No we aren't being pig headed, we just simply want to solve the problem our way!". I also smell a hidden agenda.

Further, the report argues that there are lawful purposes for firearms in this country for the purposes of self-defense, target practice and hunting. They forgot the part where it is a safe guard against tyranny. Now they begin the whipped cream portion if the ice cream sundae. They say that "However.... many guns are owned, if legal, are used for unlawful purposes". I can agree with this statement, but I know where they are going with this argument. Do people abuse their rights? yes they do. So let's keep reading.

Citing Columbia vs. Heller, the report claims that the 2nd amendment is a personal right, but it is not an 'absolute personal right'. The fuck it isn't. There is an old argument from the 80s and 90s that anti rights advocates use that claimed the 2nd amendment meant that the 'militia' and not 'the people' have the right to keep and bear arms. It is either a personal right or it isn't. The report further goes on to say that the Supreme Court says the people have the right to regulate 'ownership and possession' within constitutionally permissible limits. This is where the anti rights advocates will begin to create their context.

And here is the big red flag. 'The Constitution of the United States compels us to evaluate our nation as a society that changes, grows and evolves'. This is a progressive school of thought on the Constitution which argues that as the times change, the founding document changes with the whims and the zeitgeist of those in power. It does not. It is a set of concrete, in stone liberties that the government cannot touch. End of discussion. There is our first major league problem. When the report claims 'we must avoid the blind imitation of the past', they really mean avoid these set in stone, concrete rights that the first Americans began their citizenship with. That blows a hole in the battleship right here, right now.

And here we go; the crux of the report. The commission claims that it is 'concerned' about the 'proliferation' of weapons designed for war. I've heard this argument since the president began saying 'weapons of war don't belong on our streets'. Any weapon can be used in any war. Two, the United States Constitution guarantees me a right to that same weapon. Another hole in the battleship is that the AR-15, which is cited in this report, was designed for civilian use because it is a semi-automatic, and not a select fire- weapon. They argue that 'large capacity magazines' and 'assault weapons' have 'no legitimate place' in the civilian population.

They do, actually. They are great platforms for target practice, competitions and especially home and personal defense. The AR-15 is America's most popular rifle- and 30 round magazines are standard capacity. This... protection against tyranny and the right to self defense is outweighed by the need to protect our society, the report claims. I flat out, 100% reject that argument. I am not giving up my rights of self defense and resistance against tyranny because someone feels the weapon 'has no place in normal society'. Furthermore, because some shithead decided to go postal and shoot a bunch of kids does not mean my guns need to be taken away from me. But they never said that! Wait for it. That is always what they argue for. It is called the Brady 3 step plan. Ban, register, then confiscate. It is already beginning to occur in California, and it has been proposed in Washington State and Hawaii.

So on the next page they talk about firearms registration. How exactly is that going to stop people from going postal and shooting at school kids? The commission does not provide the evidence. The commission argues that 'firearms of significant lethality', which is a bogus argument because an AR-15 is no more dangerous than a Ruger 10/22 or similar semi-automatic; can be obtained without registration and without a permit. That's because it's against our fundamental, inalienable rights. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. There's the next torpedo into the PT boat. They claim that registration will stop 'straw purchasing'. What they don't tell you is that criminals disobey the law on a daily basis. They get their guns from, in this order: 1) black market 2) other criminals 3) steal them. What did bubkiss due before Sandy Hook? he stole the firearms.

The next page argues that because of the lethality of guns, and the need of the preamble to assure 'domestic tranquility', at least how they see it anyways, guns need to be banned and registered. They stop short of recommending confiscation. The lethality of ammunition. All ammunition is lethal. I have heard middle schoolers make better arguments than this report. So in order to guarantee that 'lawful people' had the right to such ammunition, firearms and magazines, the commission recommends this: Banning said items in excess of an arbirtary round count. Hypocritical, much?

So far this is nothing more than a gun control shopping list. They offer zero supporting evidence other than preconceived notions and 'feelings'. They provide no evidence whatsoever that their actions will save lives, or why depriving people of their liberties is warranted to make us 'feel safer'. They continue by saying that ammo should be heavily restricted, banned from internet sale, and limiting owners to only purchasing ammunition that their registered firearms can use. All of this is a major violation of the 2nd amendment: the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. To keep and bear arms, one must have ammunition.

Further, the report claims that 'cosmetic changes' does not reduce the level of lethality. Fun way to get around the argument that cosmetic changes make a firearm more dangerous, as they would argue. Before going into a red herring, they argue that defining an 'assault weapon' by its form rather than function is ineffective. Something Diane Feinstein ought to learn. Then they indicate that firearms that can accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds be banned immediately. So how are they going to get all of these hundreds of millions of rifles away so that crazy people have a harder time getting them? by taking them from you and me. If they can't do that, they want to stop the rapidly growing firearms user base by making it hard as hell to practice your right to keep and bear arms. Period. Since law enforcement and government are exempt from all of this- the government argues that for your own good, you need to give them more power.

This is about control and power. Evidently the commission cannot trust normal people with firearms. So here is a new one: instead of microstamping, the report wants to etch individual serial numbers into brass casings As a rationale, they want to stop 'straw purchasers'. They provide no evidence whatsoever that such an infringement, which would raise ammunition costs- will stop straw purchasers.

Then they go on talking about gun violence restraining orders. This is confiscation. So, in order to protect our kids and feel safe, we need to ban, register, then begin confiscating guns when the public has changed their minds about them. I wholeheartedly, from a rational standpoint reject the findings of this report because of a colossal lack of evidence, a dogmatic approach to control, a anti rights wish list seeking a gun free utopia, and failure to suggest any practical way of protecting our children.

Last edited by Didnotcomply89; February 13th, 2015 at 01:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sandy Hook Commission Report

Did anyone believe that that report would come out any different. the whole intent of the report is to make sure the low information voter or the Drone thinks like them. Independent thinkers will never believe anything these ASS HATS say or do. Just daily interaction with folks shows how gullible and clueless most people are and they know it and that is their strength.

(Chester County)

This is pretty much a wish list of anti-rights items. Its not shocking. But I think realistically not much will come of it.

(Centre County)

my favorite is to serial number all ammo, even the stuff at your house..You can not fix stupid. These idiots should not be allowed to pass on their genes.
    DEEDS NOT WORDS..GFY!!

(Delaware County)

Passing a law and trying to enforce a law are two different items. The failures of prohibition is a lesson apparently not learned.

*Begin "soft" confiscation
    Oh, confiscation will be hard, not soft.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
    Oh, confiscation will be hard, not soft.
    It should be hard for those doing the confiscating. Make it so hard that only the most reckless, suicidal, self-loathing, self-destructive idiot would even deign to consider it.

A lot of people think this shit is over (gun ban/confiscation). Its just getting started. The chosen one has a year and change left, (change, and left, that about sums it up) him and his cronies are going to hit it hard. My guess is, the next mass shooting will be either a catholic school, or mosque. It wont be a mall, or movie theater, (been there done that). Hopefully this time, an armed civilian will be nearby to stop the attack.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    A lot of people think this shit is over (gun ban/confiscation). Its just getting started. The chosen one has a year and change left, (change, and left, that about sums it up) him and his cronies are going to hit it hard. My guess is, the next mass shooting will be either a catholic school, or mosque. It wont be a mall, or movie theater, (been there done that). Hopefully this time, an armed civilian will be nearby to stop the attack.
    Yep! Actually it was pretty smart of him for waiting and not doing it when the bodies were still warm and he had a majority in both houses. Tricky bastard indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Yep! Actually it was pretty smart of him for waiting and not doing it when the bodies were still warm and he had a majority in both houses. Tricky bastard indeed.
    He is a tricky bastard. (that's putting it politely)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast