Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Possibly moving to the area...

Hey guys, hope this is in the right area. Good possibility that I am relocating to the Harrisburg area and was wondering what is the pros and cons between the West and East shores. I have noticed that property taxes are pretty astronomical except in Cumberland Valey. So far I have been looking in Linglestown, Mechanicsburg, camp hill, etc... Just want to get the gun owners point of view. Thanks to all...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Possibly moving to the area...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX672 View Post
    Hey guys, hope this is in the right area. Good possibility that I am relocating to the Harrisburg area and was wondering what is the pros and cons between the West and East shores. I have noticed that property taxes are pretty astronomical except in Cumberland Valey. So far I have been looking in Linglestown, Mechanicsburg, camp hill, etc... Just want to get the gun owners point of view. Thanks to all...
    I moved here back in September, and as a gun owner (originally from NC, but spent the last five years in the Free State of New Mexico) I find it very hard (well really impossible) to find a place to even go shoot my guns, they have been collecting dust since I got here. Every single range that I know of within a reasonable drive of my house (Im in Lancaster Co) are members only ranges, and none of them are accepting memberships (haven't been since I got here). There is plenty of opportunity for hunting (I'm not a big hunter, even though I would like to give it a go). Just my opinion, not trying to say its a bad place to live (its beautiful here, although winter is well you know winter), just for me it has not been what I had hoped for. Hope this helps you out.
    Last edited by nexgen91; January 24th, 2015 at 12:35 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Why not give Trop Gun Shop a try? If you can't find somewhere to be a member it doesn't mean that you can't shoot!!!

(Berks County)

Yeah, you can shoot at Trop for sure. Also, post in the county you are thinking of and I bet someone will sponsor you.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Tioga County)

That is one thing about living out west is that you can find places on BLM land where you can go out and shoot and really stretch your guns out.

I think PA overall is decent. The costs here are not outrageous and taxes are better than some states. Especially up in the northern central part of the state where I live there are lots of outdoor activities. Shooting aside, I have a seasonal routine of outdoor sports. Snowshoeing in winter, kayaking on the creek when the water is up in the spring, bike riding in the summer and fall on the local trail and kayaking also on the lake in summer and fall.

The best way to fix any issues with shooting is to buy a rural property or farm with acreage and have your own range.

Also what I recommend if you are new to your area is find some clubs and look up their competition schedule. A lot of matches are a good way to meet club members if you are interested in joining a club.

(Lancaster County)

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania also has some outdoor ranges for the public. There is a annual $30.00 fee to use the facilities though..

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

The one that is probably closer for you would probably be the location in York County....
    Last edited by Tommahawk; February 13th, 2015 at 02:10 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    That is one thing about living out west is that you can find places on BLM land where you can go out and shoot and really stretch your guns out.

I think PA overall is decent. The costs here are not outrageous and taxes are better than some states. Especially up in the northern central part of the state where I live there are lots of outdoor activities. Shooting aside, I have a seasonal routine of outdoor sports. Snowshoeing in winter, kayaking on the creek when the water is up in the spring, bike riding in the summer and fall on the local trail and kayaking also on the lake in summer and fall.

The best way to fix any issues with shooting is to buy a rural property or farm with acreage and have your own range.

Also what I recommend if you are new to your area is find some clubs and look up their competition schedule. A lot of matches are a good way to meet club members if you are interested in joining a club.

Sounds like you are living a good life!! ;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member