Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sparrow or spectre for 22 rf?

Thought I had my mind made up...but I don't.

Looking to get a 22 rf can to be used on both a rifle and a handgun.

Which of these two would be better? Was initially going to go with the Spectre but now Im not so sure.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Sparrow or spectre for 22 rf?

I have a Sparrow, and I think it is awesome. I use it on a Ruger 22/45 hand gun and on a Savage 17 HRM. The Ruger shoots subsonic and is whisper quiet. There is defenitly some first shot pop. In the 17 HMR you still get the super sonic crack but it is quiet at the muzzle. I like that I can break it down and clean it. I also like that it can handle .22LR, .22 Mag, 17 HMR, and I think it is a rated all the way up to take a 5.7 load. I have no knowledge or info on the Spectre. I have had the Sparrow for a few years now and I don't remember researching the Spectre. What are the prices and other considerations? Like all things firearms your intended application and how well the tool fits the application is mostlikely the most important consideration. When it comes to these items the extra $200 stamp should most likely make selling price less of a factor. I figure I am only going to buy one, I will most likely never sell it so I wanted what I thought was the absolute best quality at the time of purchase.

Who do you plan to buy from? What are they telling you the wait is at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    I have a Sparrow, and I think it is awesome. I use it on a Ruger 22/45 hand gun and on a Savage 17 HRM. The Ruger shoots subsonic and is whisper quiet. There is defenitly some first shot pop. In the 17 HMR you still get the super sonic crack but it is quiet at the muzzle. I like that I can break it down and clean it. I also like that it can handle .22LR, .22 Mag, 17 HMR, and I think it is a rated all the way up to take a 5.7 load. I have no knowledge or info on the Spectre. I have had the Sparrow for a few years now and I don't remember researching the Spectre. What are the prices and other considerations? Like all things firearms your intended application and how well the tool fits the application is mostlikely the most important consideration. When it comes to these items the extra $200 stamp should most likely make selling price less of a factor. I figure I am only going to buy one, I will most likely never sell it so I wanted what I thought was the absolute best quality at the time of purchase.

Who do you plan to buy from? What are they telling you the wait is at this point?
    Spectre looks to be around $100 less than the sparrow...

Wait for a trust i was told is 4-6 months, non trust is a year.

Dealer is local (to me) guy..

Really no other considerations for me...Just trying to make the best decision so I don't end up with buyers remorse (which will probably happen no matter what I do).

(Armstrong County)

Take a look at the Liberty Regulator as well
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Thought I had my mind made up...but I don't.

Looking to get a 22 rf can to be used on both a rifle and a handgun.

Which of these two would be better? Was initially going to go with the Spectre but now Im not so sure.
    I have one of the original SWR Spectres, and a SS Sparrow. You will not be disappointed with either. Both are easy to disassemble for cleaning, and using only my uncalibrated ears, they sound identical.

Not sure where exactly you're located, but you're welcome to try both on some different hosts to compare for yourself.

(Monroe County)

I have a SS Sparrow and my buddy has a Spectre II and both are excellent cans.

I also have a Gemtech Alpine and that's what SWR copied when they made the changes for the Spectre II (skirted baffles for easier disassembly).

The Spectre II and the Sparrow are both excellent cans. Between the two, the first round pop on the Sparrow is definitely more noticeable, particularly on pistols, but the Sparrow weighs about an ounce less and is a little shorter.

Both are easy to disassemble for cleaning if you keep after them according to their recommended maintenance intervals, perhaps with a slight edge going to the Sparrow. One thing to note: I clean my suppressors using an ultrasonic cleaner. After putting the Sparrow monocore in the ultrasonic, I noticed slight discoloration in the finish of the endcap (which is permanently attached to the monocore). With the Spectre II, I just put the SS baffles in the tank, so no finish issues.

I have found that my Spectre II gets more use, but I also shoot a lot more suppressed .22 from handguns than I do from rifles. I use my Sparrow primarily on my rifles, and my Beretta .22 Bobcat (since the can is shorter/lighter).

You really can't go wrong with either of these.
    I am not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    The Spectre II and the Sparrow are both excellent cans. Between the two, the first round pop on the Sparrow is definitely more noticeable, particularly on pistols, but the Sparrow weighs about an ounce less and is a little shorter.

Both are easy to disassemble for cleaning if you keep after them according to their recommended maintenance intervals, perhaps with a slight edge going to the Sparrow. One thing to note: I clean my suppressors using an ultrasonic cleaner. After putting the Sparrow monocore in the ultrasonic, I noticed slight discoloration in the finish of the endcap (which is permanently attached to the monocore). With the Spectre II, I just put the SS baffles in the tank, so no finish issues.

I have found that my Spectre II gets more use, but I also shoot a lot more suppressed .22 from handguns than I do from rifles. I use my Sparrow primarily on my rifles, and my Beretta .22 Bobcat (since the can is shorter/lighter).

You really can't go wrong with either of these.
    thanks...i met with the dealer last sat. and submitted my trust paperwork for the spectre. can't wait...

interesting that you use the spectre more on pistols than rifles, as it seems a lot of people favor the sparrow on pistols due to its smaller size..