Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default NRA Home Firearme Safety at Mt Lebanon High School

I was reading through the latest catalog from Mt Lebanon Adult Education and spotted this:

No. 308 NRA HOME FIREARMS SAFETY
    START DATE: Wednesday, March 4th Fee: Res.-$20; Nonres.-$25; G.C.-$15
    Wed. 6:30-9:00 PM HS RM C-321

INSTRUCTOR: Mark Yaworski

Fee: Res.-$20; Nonres.-$25; G.C.-$15

The course will cover the rules for safe gun handling, identifying and unloading different types of firearms, types of ammunition, and safe storage of firearms. There are no prerequisites for this course. There is a $10 lab fee for materials payable to the instructor on the first night of class. THIS CLASS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY SHOOTING. NEITHER GUNS NOR AMMUNITION MAY BE BROUGHT TO THE CLASS. Limit 20. TWO NIGHT CLASS

(Park in the South lot and enter via B-9)
    Contact Mt Lebanon Adult Education at 412-344-2020 (M-Th 6:30PM - 9 PM) for registration.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: NRA Home Firearme Safety at Mt Lebanon High School

The course will cover the rules for safe gun handling, identifying and unloading different types of firearms, types of ammunition, and safe storage of firearms ... <snip> ... NEITHER GUNS NOR AMMUNITION MAY BE BROUGHT TO THE CLASS.
    How does one *properly* teach handling - let alone unloading - without a firearm??

Pray tell...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    How does one *properly* teach handling - let alone unloading - without a firearm??

Pray tell...
    The instructor brings the guns.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    The instructor brings the guns.
    To a SCHOOL?!?

Good heavens, think of the children!!

(Montgomery County)

Shouldn't we be celabrating that someone is trying to expand Firearm education?
    I think it is cool they are doing it in a school, making information more readily available to the public.
    Maybe this weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

It sounds like it is primarily a lecture class:

[NRA’S HOME FIREARM SAFETY COURSE
    This 4 hour course is a non-shooting course that teaches students the basic knowledge, skills, and explains the necessary attitude for safe handling, storage of firearms and ammunition in the home. The course will also familiarize participants with safe firearm handling procedures and guidelines for storing pistols, rifles and shotguns in the home. This is a four hour course for safe gun handling that is conducted in the classroom only. Students are taught NRA’s three rules for safe gun handling; primary causes of firearm accidents, firearm parts and how to identify, load and unload different types of firearms. The different types and uses of ammunition, cleaning and care firearms. Also, the benefits of becoming an active participant in the shooting sports. Students will receive the NRA Home Firearm Safety handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Basic Firearm Training brochure, and course completion certificate. We provide all firearms for this course.
    NOTE: NO STUDENT FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION IN THE CLASSROOM

I was told that someone is helping me with advertising.

Yes, the instructor supplies the guns and dummy ammo for the class. About half the class is lecture, the other half is hands on, demonstrating safe handling as well as loading and unloading.

The school had no issues with doing the class. I'm trying to get a basic pistol class going there but the range is closed while the remodel the school.

There was an earlier class than the one mentioned St. John and I half expected to be greeted by the SWAT team when I left the school.

I'd like this class to grow, so spread the word. I don't get paid by the student but more students means that the school will allow the class to continue.

(Allegheny County)

I called and left a message - never received a return callback. Called again and same answering machine on during the hours posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I called and left a message - never received a return callback. Called again and same answering machine on during the hours posted.
    Can I answer some of your questions?

(York County)

If anyone is interested in taking NRA HFS it is being offered or can be brought to a location willing to host. Please see the following link for more info and additional training opportunities. Group rates are available.

http://ridgefirearms.com/