Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lebanon VA Hospital.....no guns allowed on property and no storage facility.

Today I had to go to the Lebanon VA to get a new ID. I knew they dont allow firearms inside but was surprised when I heard that the hospital police conduct random vehicle searches as well. I would be fine if there were a place to check your guns before going past a certain point but there is not. The thing that sucks is that its not the type of place you can just refuse to do business at.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Lebanon VA Hospital.....no guns allowed on property and no storage facility.

When entering the grounds of a Department of Veterans Affairs medical facility, one is greeted by a sign prohibiting firearms, lawfully carried or otherwise, on the grounds or in the buildings of said facility. The authority cited on the signs is 18 USC § 930(a).

18 USC § 930(a) prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, with “facility” defined as “a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.”

Nowhere does 18 USC § 930(a) mention grounds, just buildings, yet the DVA signs clearly state grounds and buildings.

Digging deeper, one discovers 38 CFR 1.218(a)(13) which prohibits firearms on the property (which would include grounds and buildings). Violation carries a $500 fine (per 38 CFR 1.218(b)(37).

Time to write to your congressman.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lebanon VA Hospital.....no guns allowed on property and no storage facility.

Vehicle searches???

Do they keep your keys or is consent a condition for being treated there?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Digging deeper, one discovers 38 CFR 1.218(a)(13) which prohibits firearms on the property (which would include grounds and buildings). Violation carries a $500 fine (per 38 CFR 1.218(b)(37).
    And up to 6 months in federal prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Vehicle searches???

Do they keep your keys or is consent a condition for being treated there?
    Presumably they could search your vehicle at any time, but a "random search" would likely apply to pulling people out of line at the front gate.

Some VA's don't actually have gates or guardshacks. La Joya has no gate or guardshack and I know of at least one that has a guard shack but it is never used. I've spend a reasonable amount of time at a few of them over the years and I have never seen a car searched. I'm not saying take your gun there, I sure as hell don't. I'm just responding for Empty.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Some VA's don't actually have gates or guardshacks. La Joya has no gate or guardshack and I know of at least one that has a guard shack but it is never used. I've spend a reasonable amount of time at a few of them over the years and I have never seen a car searched. I'm not saying take your gun there, I sure as hell don't. I'm just responding for Empty.
    Like that in Erie, no gate, never saw a shack, and the sign is prominent. VA does have its own police.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Indiana County)

The National Park Service has no problem complying with 18 USC § 930(a). Why, then, is the Department of Veterans Affairs different? They misinform the public on their signs, and then essentially prohibit the lawful carry of firearms en route to or from a DVA medical facility.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The National Park Service has no problem complying with 18 USC § 930(a). Why, then, is the Department of Veterans Affairs different? They misinform the public on their signs, and then essentially prohibit the lawful carry of firearms en route to or from a DVA medical facility.
    This should apply to all federal facilities (excluding courthouses). IANAL.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Warren County)

Butler' VA hospital has no guard shack, and the "disarmed victim announcement" is prominent so every criminal and nut job understand it's a free fire zone.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    The gatehouse/guard shack at my VA hospital hasn't been used since I was a kid and, in fact, the beautiful wrought iron gate is always closed. The driveway has been relocated about 150 yards down, near the edge of the property.

They have also closed the parking lot nearest the main entrance to the public. They've instituted a valet parking program, and the lot is reserved for that purpose. I refuse to let persons unknown drive my vehicle, especially as it's kind of a rolling office and there may be papers I would not want valets to sneak a peak at. If I dared take a gun onto the site I would be even more certain to always park in a far corner of the remote lot.

The VA at Wilkes Barre has/had signs on the doors inviting "law enforcement' to bring their firearms to the security office. The implication is that they will get a chance to lock up their guns there during their visit. The "only ones" can be trusted at least that far but not the hoi polloi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast