Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Overzealous Ohio Township Police

Tonight I got done working at the grocery store where I've worked since last August. I punched out at 9:00pm, bought and paid for 2 gallons of wáter, bought two scratch-off tickets, and went to my car. I put the two gallons in the trunk, then got in the car, started it, and then started doing my scratchoffs. After I put second ticket down and prepared to leave, I also brought my small 9mm out from under the seat and put it between the seats for easy access. Then out of the blue I hear a rap on my window and there's a flashlight shining on me and in my car. I saw figure of a man in uniform, but no insignia or badge was obvious in the dark. There were other cars around and I wasn't alone. I slowly opened my door, reasonably sure this was a cop. He had pretty much snuck up on me, and the knock on the window was fast and obviously instended to surprise me. I slowly opened the door to talk to him trying to look directly into his face. Then I saw his marked patrol car parked a few spaces away. He then asked me very politely if everything was ok, and if I "just worked there and had just got off". Yes I do and yes I did, I replied, trying to remain polite myself, even though I was thinking "WTF??" He backed away very quickly and bid me goodnight. The truth is he was never authoritative or obnoxious in any way...other than the startling rap on my window and the light in my face for second. But this seemed like a very unprovoked inquiry, as I had done absolutely NOTHING out of the ordinary to attract this young cop's attention. Seriously! Walking to your car with two jugs of wáter and a store-logo gorocery bag and putting them in your trunk, and then starting your car and playing the lottery while it warms up is suspicious activity????

I have to ask, would anyone here consider lodging a formal complaint against this officer, or his department in general? The Ohio Twp pólice regularly patrol this lot, and I believe there are plenty of drug deals that go on in the parking lot, as it would obviously be a good place to meet. I've already seen one person arrested there. It could be he was looking for someone, but I sense that this type of impromptu random inquirí may go on here somewhat frequently, and I plan on asking ALL my coworkers if they've ever experienced this before. I've got a good mind to then lodge a formal complaint about people being approached in this way, complete with confirmation that this happens frequently already. I hesitate to say the officer was completely unprofessional, but this type of thing is unethical in my opinión, and I would hope many would agree with me. What should I do? What would you do? Would you consider making a complaint in writing, perhaps even to the sheriff, rather than the Ohio Twp dept? I just feel that cops shouldn't be rapping on windows and startling innocent shoppers and workers at local supermarkets with flashlights in the face and loud knocking without a circumstantial reason.

Another thing that really concerns me is, what if he saw my gun? I mean, it was between the seats, not in plain view....but if he was staring there he probably could have seen it and I'm kind of concerned what would happen then. Already they're showing signs of being overzealous in how they patrol and approach people, and I'm wondering if this could be of concern for those of us who concealed carry. I almost don't feel comfortable carrying around cops who have ants int their pants, if you know what I mean.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Overzealous Ohio Township Police

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.