Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking about the Creedmoor

I've been kicking it around for a while now, it seems like it could be a very versatile round with a good variety of grain weights.. Not sure if it could be an all round Deer, chuck, and varmint rifle or not, but I like the flat shoot trajectory.

Leaning towards the Ruger American Predator rifle, with a good scope of the same or more price..

What do ya'll think, anyone here with any knowledge on the round and or rifle?
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Thinking about the Creedmoor

No first hand knowledge, but I'm subscribing to this one. I got to handle a predator in.223 at a show last year and I really liked it. I am considering the exact setup as well. On paper the creedmore looks great. Hopefully someone with some first hand experience with it will chime in.

6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor?
    6.5 MM seems a bit more common, I know there have been attempts under many guises of this caliber over the years, and it wasn't able to hang on.
    Which also make me wonder if it can survive this time. I think it has a better chance than the 26 Nosler, but you never know..

(Berks County)

I decided to get into 6.5mm as well. I went back & forth between the Creedmoor & 260 Rem & finally settled on the 260 since I'm a reloader & don't want to be shoehorned into one brand. I'll be picking up my rifle today or tomorrow & hopefully it shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I decided to get into 6.5mm as well. I went back & forth between the Creedmoor & 260 Rem & finally settled on the 260 since I'm a reloader & don't want to be shoehorned into one brand. I'll be picking up my rifle today or tomorrow & hopefully it shoots well.
    I went with a 260AI in my bolt gun. It shoots 260 just fine and just as accurate, yet you can really crank the speed up, out of the 139-142gr projectiles. Now that Copper Creek makes a 130gr Berger with a .615 G1 BC, it's a no brainer. I bet I could get 3,000fps out of it with that bullet.

6.5 Creedmoor is great for gas guns. 6.5 Creedmoor may be becoming more available, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Cambria County)

I was going to buy one but found a Savage predator in 260. Nice gun and got it at a good price. Savage makes the same gun in 6.5 Creedmore also.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I went with a 260AI in my bolt gun. It shoots 260 just fine and just as accurate, yet you can really crank the speed up, out of the 139-142gr projectiles. Now that Copper Creek makes a 130gr Berger with a .615 G1 BC, it's a no brainer. I bet I could get 3,000fps out of it with that bullet.

6.5 Creedmoor is great for gas guns. 6.5 Creedmoor may be becoming more available, too.
    Not seeing that Berger in 130 with that BC, but the 140s are there. Just can't push them quite as fast. I'm going to go with the 142 SMK since I've always had good luck with Sierras & they're everywhere, but the Bergers look really good too.

Loaded ammo is crazy $$. Those Copper Creek's are $50 for a box of 20 !

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post

Loaded ammo is crazy $$. Those Copper Creek's are $50 for a box of 20 !
    Ouch! There was a good article on the many trials of the 6.5 MM last month. Interesting article, going back to its inception, and the confusion of the caliber, something about how the Europeans measured the bore, compared to how we here in the US measure it ( Had something to do with us measuring across the lands, and the Europeans measuring from the base of the lands across the bore), which lead to it failing in popularity., Only to be reintroduced in the late 50's and 60's as the wildcat. Then it fell off again, much because of the earlier stumble of bore confusion.

He went as far as to say, if it had succeeded when first introduced, we may not have the .270.

Wonder what Jack O' would have to say to this? LOL

Wonder if its here to stay this time around? I suspect it may be long lasting with the more Americans interest in long range shooting, and the ever increasing popularity in Coyotes and hogs, but who's to say.
    Last edited by tollster; February 11th, 2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling of course

(Carbon County)

I have always shot a lot of European cartridges and there was something about metric that just turned off the American shooter until recent years. I remember when the .260 came out and the shooting public was bombarded with sales hype. I doubt if it would have taken off if it was not based on the .308 case. It seems that the magic word "Magnum" had to be attached for the metric bullets to really be accepted. As for the .270, I have never owned one except for resale. It is highly overrated and probably would never have attained the position it did without a famous gun writer pushing it.
    Last edited by Gunplummer; February 11th, 2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast