Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default BUMP in the night stories...

Was wondering if anybody has any interesting stories about getting woke up in the middle of the night to a strange sound that made you "clear the house." I haven't had one in years.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: BUMP in the night stories...

Not at home, but I volunteer at a Museum. On my first month there I was with another guy hanging in the office and heard this loud crash. Like a NFL center lineman crashing through a door, that loud. I ran into the museum fully expecting to confront a pack of youts in the middle of a smash and grab. When I got there everyting was normal. I looked around outside, Parking lot and out front and everything was normal. Peeked over the fence to look into the boarded up house next door and everything was normal. Then I went into the storage areas and nothing out of place.

That just proved to me the Ghost stories the other volunteers told me did have some weight to them and gave me another reason to come around.

Someone decided to ring my doorbell after midnight the same day that I bought my first firearm. I wasn't expecting company & my front door has no peep hole so I decided to be smart & not answer it. I got to a window where I could see the porch & no one was there, no cars around either.

(Lancaster County)

I have one that my ex wife still likes to tell. She was six months pregnant and we lived in a small apartment. One night I kept hearing noise out in the living room. I grabbed the 10mm and checked things out. It was just the upstairs neighbors on the stairs that went over our laundry closet just off the living room.

I went back to our bedroom and as I'm standing there looking down at my wife, it occurs to me in my sick and twisted mind, how it would look to her if she wakes up. Recently married, pregnant and me standing over her with a large 1911 in my hand. I got flashes of Lifetime movies of the week in my mind. I told her about getting up, coming back and thinking about it and she tells everyone sooner or later

I was actually standing there feeling all in love and happy when it struck me how things get misinterpreted
    Last edited by Mitch10mm; February 8th, 2015 at 07:55 PM.

(Monroe County)

I drew on a ammo can once.

I was living in a apt that had a hollow core metal front door. So if you banged on it, it made a certain "metallic thunk"

One night in just after starting to doze I hear the "thunk" but louder like someone was trying to get in. I grab the .38 I had at the time and clear the apt. Nothing- door's secure. So WTF? I later figure out the GF I had at the time had grabbed one of my .50cal ammo cans to stand on so she could use the bathroom mirror. She left it in there and it had cooled on the floor the air shrank and the side flexed in. Thus the metal thunk. I hear pop out later when I put it back.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

I have one. It may be more embarrassing for me than my wife as she took care of the intruder and I was left in my undies wondering what happened.

It was a few years ago now.

Around 5:30 Sunday Morning, before Labor Day, I hear someone on the steps between our first and second floor. My bedroom is right at the top of them. I turn over and woke my wife and said your son, He is really ours. But that early he is her's, is on his way down stairs to watch cartoons. She got up to go down and get him back to bed. Not sure what happened as I went back to sleep.

My wife comes back into the bed room shakes me to wake me up and yells there is someone in the house and leaves to go back down stairs. With that I am up and wide awake. I get my .45 out of the lock box in record time and go down stairs. There is no one around. No wife, no intruder, no one. I noticed my front door is open and the storm door is held open. I go into the front yard see the gate open and our stuff is in the front yard. More detail below if you want.
    I go into the street look up and down see no one. I am like WTF is going on. There was a woman at the business across the street that said “your wife”, the people take smoke breaks outside all the time and we usually say hello as we see them, “just chased someone down the street that way”. I run back into the house and grabbed the phone and called 911 and went in the last direction, with the phone, my wife was heading. As I am giving a the dispatcher the breakdown of what happened and a description of my wife, because I have no idea what the intruder looks like, about 10 police cars start canvasing the neighborhood. What seemed like 5 minutes later the dispatcher said the officers have found your wife and have a suspect trapped on the roof of the building across the street from our house.

It turns out my wife chased this woman, I found it was a woman after they brought her back to the house for my wife to identify as the intruder, one block NE, then a ½ block SE, then a block SW then a ¼ block NW where the woman climbed a fire escape on a building across from our house. My wife knew she had no place to go up there and just waited for the police to show up and point her out.
    The only reason I can think of is my wife is a 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do and knew the intruder was a woman and that is why she went after her. I still tell her that is was a stupid thing to do. But it all turned out OK

That’s the highlights. For more detail read on.

It turn out this woman was from Sewell, NJ. She stopped taking her meds and stole her father’s car and drove to PA. She left the car at Saint Gabes in Audubon, PA and walked to Oaks, PA. I am not sure what she did between Audubon and Oaks. When she got here, She threw my neighbor’s cement lawn gnome on the hood of their car and left a huge dent in it, She broke out the windshields and side windows of both of my other neighbor’s cars, another neighbor had the entire contents of their car thrown onto the street. I did see the last car when I went looking for my wife. But did not put it together until later in the day until the neighbors got together.
    Then this nut job comes to our house. She got on the front porch pushed in the screen and climbed in. She opens the front door and locks the storm open. Then she proceeds to throw all our stuff on the front lawn. She took a 35lb glass mirror off the wall and smashed it on the front sidewalk, she took candles and candle holders of the tables on threw them on the front lawn, Took the DVDs out of the Netflix return envelopes and threw the envelopes in the yard but let the DVDs on the TV stand. She left a bottle of bleach on the kitchen counter that she took from the neighbor’s car. All in all she left a mess.

When She went to court, my wife went as a witness, the woman’s father wrote my wife a check right there for the damage. It did clear. :-)

(Allegheny County)

A friend of mine had one about 7-8 years ago...

He's sleeping, when at about 2am he hears a noise at the back door. He grabs a pistol and heads off to check it out. Door's closed, but unlocked he notices, so he swings the door open and sweeps his deck. To his surprise one of his teenage sons and a friend are out there in the dark, blowing a joint. At this point he's pissed about his kid, and they're fully stoned and freaked out about being at gunpoint. He sends his son inside, and the other kid home. Which is where his real problems started. The kid's parents hear the story and call the cops, I can't remember the exact details of the legal issues, but there were charges pressed and lawyer's fees a plenty. I'll get the details and edit this. Luckily though, this time it was two goofy yoots.

(Bucks County)

I drew on a man standing in my hallway at 1AM. I had fallen asleep in the den, woke up and was headed to bed when I turned the corner and there he stood. Skinny, tall, ugly, dark skin, he did NOT belong! I drew and rushed him at the same time, I don't know why, I just did. I crashed into him and my wife's brand new African Bushman CD holder went flying down the hallway! CDs flew all over the hallway!

What would possess a woman to buy a 6' tall CD rack made of wood that is carved to look like an African Bushman, complete with a tuft of Ubangi hair sticking out the back of its head?

I got no sleep that night. The next day, he got stuck in a corner that always has a light on. I swear to God, if he so much as flinches, he dies!

(Washington County)

This happened when my wife and I first go married. We were living in the PRNJ. Our apartment was on the second floor of a two family house. The landlord lived down stairs. I was working the midnight tour. The landlord told my wife there was a bum (her words) hanging around all day. We had an old beagle at the time that had grown up with me, but was super protective of my wife. He even tried to bite me one time when I swatted my wife on her bun.

Well around midnight there is a knock on the door that lead to the landing that was the entrance for our apartment. The dog went nuts, so my wife dropped her .380 HK4 in her robe pocket and went to the door. In the door was a small glass window, small enough that no one could even put their hand through. Well after looking out she could not see anyone. The landing where the stairs were was not that big so you almost needed to try not to be seen. The person knock a second time. My wife put her hand on the gun and yell out whose there. The person reply it's the police. She then yell for him to stand in front of the window which he did. He explain the landlord had called about the man hanging around and they were checking to make sure my wife was okay.

I got a call at work and my wife told me she almost shot a cop. If he had tried the door one more time she would have fired.

The next day I stopped into the police station and had a nice talk with the chief, which I knew from him having to sign all my pistol permits. I informed him to make sure anyone responding to our apartment stand where the can be seen and announce themselves. We both had a good laugh about what happened, but I did not tell him the officer almost got shot.

(Montgomery County)

This happened this past summer.

My brother-in-law and I purchased a large boat at a marina in MD, from a widow early in the season.

About a month later, him and I went down with the intention of spending a couple of days doing some cleaning and a sea trial before we took the families out that weekend.

After spending most of the day running around buying different parts and doing repairs, we eat something at a local restaurant and then retired to each of our staterooms.

At about 11 pm I heard someone walking topside, then someone opening the slide door.

Being MD we were not armed. My stateroom door is right next to the sliding door. I grabbed a baseball bat I had brought down for the kids to play, and out I went, rushing through the door. Standing right at about 4" away was a man opening the refrigerator door. At the same time my brother-in-law come out of his room which is on the other side. The poor guy did not know which way to run. We both looked like two crazy people ready to beat him to death.

It turns out that he was the brother of the owner of the boat that had passed away, and was not told by the wife of the owner, that the boat was sold.

He had arrived in the area late and did not wanted to disturb his sister-in-law and though about sleeping on board and then go to her the next morning.

That was a bad decision on his part, which caused all three of us a good scare. At the end we had a good laugh, a couple of beers and went back to sleep. We let him sleep in the guest room.

Lesson learned and we now have a good lock on the sliding door and a motion alarm.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast