Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Thumbs up Looking for info for STAR Super A

So I just picked up a Spanish STAR Model Super A. It's stamped L1, so it's a 1966. Sweet 1911 clone. It's chambered in 9mm Largo. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this pistol.

The other question I had is it would seem 9mm Largo is a little hard to find, and i read here and there that 38 Super is an accepted replacement for it. is there any truth to this?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Looking for info for STAR Super A

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiperOfSeville View Post
    So I just picked up a Spanish STAR Model Super A. It's stamped L1, so it's a 1966. Sweet 1911 clone. It's chambered in 9mm Largo. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this pistol.

The other question I had is it would seem 9mm Largo is a little hard to find, and i read here and there that 38 Super is an accepted replacement for it. is there any truth to this?
    Star' are pretty under rated pistols imho. I own a bks and am probably going to pick up a super B and an A in the future. They look similar to a 1911 and handle similarly, internally they are pretty different though. A known problem with them is breaking firing pins. Do not dry fire it. That is when it occurs 99% of the time. Also, it is not safe to carry any of them condition 2. The hammer rests on the firing pin and there is no block. Only carry it around in condition 1 or 3.

As far as using 38 super. I wouldn't do it. 38 super is a much higher pressure round than largo. Model A's were never built to take the kind of pressures that the super has. At best you would be beating the snot out of it and would likely suffer some form of breakage. At worst you could lose some parts if it went kaboom. If you reload you can make largo loads out of 38super brass if you keep the pressures down in the largo's range.

Keep your eyes peeled at gun shows and you might stumble on some largo. It'll cost ya though. I believe the only really acceptable substitutions are 9mm steyr or .38acp. Unfortunately both are pretty hard to come by also.

Good luck and be safe.
    Oh, and
    Last edited by R L Suehr; February 8th, 2015 at 11:28 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Looking for info for STAR Super A

I have several Star pistols, they are great guns. I do not have a 9mm largo - as you mentioned, ammo is scarce, but I do see it from time to time. As mentioned, I have always heard not to shoot 38 super out of one. I pretty much go with the rule of not shooting anything out of a gun it wasn't designed for regardless of what some might say Congratulations on your new purchase, hunt for some of that ammo and I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"