Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default *Range Report* CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1

I didn't have time to put too many rounds down range today, but I did get to shoot 120 which is enough for initial impressions.

It confirmed my opinion that this pistol is not meant to spend its life as a pistol, and a welcome addition will be the folding stock, or any other stock for that matter. CZ assures us that they will either sell the stock, pending 922r approval, or a stock + parts kit to make it 922r compliant. I can't wait.

It also confirms my opinion that the "Sig brace," when used as designed, is stupid. It made shooting this thing even more awkward than it already was, but it was easy to take off.

That said, it was easy to shoot and the sights were dead on nuts accurate from the factory. They're also high quality aluminum and the rear sight has 4 apertures for different shooting distances. Sighting in is similar to any standard AR sights, but I didn't need to adjust mine at all.

It has a little kick to it, due to the blowback design and the weight of the bolt (something like 40% of the total weight of the gun), but I was quickly back on target for follow up shots.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the safety lever dug into my finger and left a mark, see picture below. I look forward to the kit that allows you to remove one of the levers to alleviate this issue.

The trigger isn't as bad as some of the pro reviews made it out to be..., I found that once I got into the groove, I could allow the recoil to reset it for me without any thought on my part. I'm also not experienced with a tier 1 trigger, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem that bad to me.

All in all it is a great little shooter, with no failures to speak of, and when the folding stock comes from CZ, it will be a formidable little pistol caliber SBR that would make a nice truck gun or bed side weapon. In fact, all I'm going to do to mine is add the stock, a TLR-1 HL, and the safety mod and call it done.

Here's my first 20 rounds at 25 yards, slow and controlled aiming.

2 more 25 yard groups, rapid fire (not as fast I could go), 20 and 30 rounds.

Another 30 round rapid fire group, as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I lost a little skin thanks to the safety lever. I found that if I concentrated on keeping my finger low on the trigger, that the safety wouldn't dig into my finger. If I started shooting quickly, my finger would move back to its natural position on the trigger and the safety would dig in again.

This is a picture of the charging handle after a magazine was emptied and the bolt locked back. It doesn't lock back with the bolt, and slides around freely. This confused me for a moment until I realized that this is what allows the use of the AR style bolt release. You can pull the charging handle back and lock it in place, but then that disables the bolt release..., which makes sense now that I look at it because when the charging handle is engaged, it will be locked up in that little notch, thus making the AR style bolt release useless. It would then act like an HK style bolt release which you can slap.

I can't wait to shoot it more, and I can't wait for my tax stamp and stock. Hell, once I get the stamp, even if I don't have the stock, I'll shoulder my brace.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin///M; February 7th, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: *Range Report* CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1

Thanks for the range report. As I don't have the funds, I'll just go to CZ's website and drool over the pictures

As an SBR, that looks like it would be incredibly fun to shoot.

(Mercer County)

Outstanding. If only you knew what it felt like to shoulder the sig brace.

I hope to pick one up eventually.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

If only.

Justin

Last edited by Justin///M; April 10th, 2015 at 01:44 PM.

By the way, I've since learned what a "Non-reciprocating bolt" is, which is what this has. It was the first time I've ever fired anything with a non-reciprocating bolt. Always learning something new!

Justin

(Northampton County)

Am I the only one who's wondering why CZ is worried about 922r compliance when first of all this is a title title I pistol that's imported here?

Now according to the ATF when you put in for a tax stamp for title II status, when approved they are approving you to remanufacture said firearm. In this case turning a pistol into a short barreled rifle.

So how would an import restriction for title 1 rifles affect a title to item essentially for all legal purposes manufactured here in United States?

I really fail to see how 922r comes into play at all in any of this.

(Lackawanna County)

The lop on that kit is super long I'm torn between a Kriss vector in 9mm or one of these for a sbr

Last edited by Justin///M; April 10th, 2015 at 01:44 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    The lop on that kit is super long I'm torn between a Kriss vector in 9mm or one of these for a sbr
    The vector is almost double the price. By the sound of it, you're getting a fantastic piece of engineering with the scorpion (not to say the vector's two part rotate-down bolt isn't)

For me, if I hadn't already been so heavily invested in the AR platform (and the shear lack of funds that goes with that), I'd be rolling with the Scorpion.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast