Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: SB 737 allow Hunting with Semi automatic Rifles in PA – Rep Saccone 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    I don't think so, it is centerfire.
    What does the fact that it's centerfire effect the caliber?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: PGC Preliminarily Approves The Use Of Semiauto Rifle for Hunting Big & Samll Game

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Let's hope that will be the case. It would be hard to find a five round magazine for a 10/22. Or even a Marlin 795.
    Item 90041: 5-Round, .22 LR Magazine with Steel Feed - Black Plastic. Works with any factory original 10/22® Rifle, SR-22® Rifle, 22 Charger™ Pistol, .22 LR Ruger American Rimfire® Rifle and .22 LR Ruger 77/22® Rifle.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: SB 737 allow Hunting with Semi automatic Rifles in PA – Rep Saccone 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    In the eyes of the PGC, is .223/5.56 considered a 22 caliber?
    I have to think so. Folks shoot .22lr out of their .223 with conversion bolts. If you were to measure a .22lr it will measure .223"
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I have to think so. Folks shoot .22lr out of their .223 with conversion bolts. If you were to measure a .22lr it will measure .223"

Caliber unlike Cartridge, is a dimensional measurement.
    Actually, I believe it measures .224" at the widest part of the bullet. But its still the same as the 223 Remington/5.56x45mm round.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Actually, I believe it measures .224" at the widest part of the bullet. But its still the same as the 223 Remington/5.56x45mm round.
    You are correct, I didn't want to get to crazy with my explanation. Anybody that reloads .223 knows the bullets are marked .224
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    One thing they, or we, will need to address are semi-autos with fixed magazines whos design doesn't allow for plugging to limit capacity.

Example would be the Marlin Model 60. The follower tube doesn't readily come apart to install a custom made plug.
    Hence the point made when testifying at public hearing is several states bordering PA use an honor system with magazine capacity and do not require firearm to be plugged or pinned magazine.

In some firearms it would require extensive gun smiths modification to pin or plug magazine with tube fed or fixed striper clip feed magazine like SKS type firearm.

Personally I am disappointed in the 5 +1 magazine .....was lobbying for a reasonable comprise of 10 +1 as it solved many of these standard magazine capacity problems in many firearms in common production use as knight0334 correctly points out that now will exist with grey area or need some other regulation if not honor system is applied by PGC.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Still call and email. A lot of the uninformed are just learning about this so they'll be trying to turn this around prior to final approval.
    /\ THIS /\

Its not 100% done deal till its has the final vote, many that spoke out against reluctantly agreed to limit magazine capacity, after all what can they..... say legal in 49 other states & PA hunters have been using in UN plug semi-auto shotguns to hunt deer in the densely populate parts of PA for decades. As often was posted here on PAFOA in the debate threads and they had no answers to that inconvenient FACT
    As its not the type of firearm action that need to be limited is the jerk slob irresponsible person that is the real problem you can't regulate everyone else rights based on the few slobs actions that makes everyone look bad..... is that not what almost all gun control laws attempts to do?

Restricting your freedoms and constitutional rights based on bad actors or for bad guys already doing something illegal really accomplishes what?

Plus when re-mined of this fact and the 2007 PA safety study shotgun vs center fire rifle what is their real complaint? limit rounds was the comprise for big game to those opposed for "tradition" sake.

still with being legal in 49 other states without any special problems, no one could find any research or find any documentation that a type of action makes a semi-auto firearm any more dangerous than another type.

BTW we supplied them with all the safety documentation in other states at public G & F hearing so all they could do was double check the facts.

Which is why it was so important that those in favor this change speak up to PGC leadership and KEEP pressure on till its a done deal

You can send a letter / email thanking all the PGC commissioners for their preliminary vote for approval. besides is always nice to say thank you for doing the right thing in their official capacity

A few years from now future PA hunters will wonder what all the fuss was at the prohibition against semi-auto rifles for "tradition" sake was all about.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Lebanon County)

If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

thought i'd post this for clarification.

Pennsylvania: Game Commission Unanimously Approves Proposed Rulemaking for New Semi-Auto Rifle Hunting Law

Yesterday, the Pennsylvania Game Commission unanimously passed the proposed rulemaking for the semi-auto rifle hunting law at the quarterly meeting. Final approval for the regulations will take place at theMarch 27-28 meeting. Signed by Governor Tom Wolf on November 21, 2016, Act 168 of 2016 eliminates the prohibition on the use of semi-automatic rifles for hunting and allows for the Pennsylvania Game Commission to regulate these sporting rifles for all game species in accordance with season and bag limits.

The Commissioners also expanded the use of semi-automatic rifle hunting to now include fall turkey season in addition to small game and varmints, bear, elk and deer.

As most other states have discovered, allowing hunters to use semi-automatic rifles is nothing more than expanding firearm selection for the hunter afield. Semi-automatic rifles simply give hunters a much greater ability to fire a timely and accurate follow-up shot, which can be the huge difference between wounding or quickly taking a game animal. Ending the prohibition on semi-automatic rifle hunting will provide Pennsylvania hunters the same opportunities and options enjoyed by hunters in 48 states.

Please stay tuned to www.nrail.org and your email inbox for further updates on Game Commission’s rulemaking regarding semi-auto rifle hunting. Also, for more information regarding the meetings, please refer to the Game Commission website.
    Last edited by rangeofficer; February 3rd, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: PGC Preliminarily Approves The Use Of Semiauto Rifle for Hunting Big & Samll Game

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Item 90041: 5-Round, .22 LR Magazine with Steel Feed - Black Plastic. Works with any factory original 10/22® Rifle, SR-22® Rifle, 22 Charger™ Pistol, .22 LR Ruger American Rimfire® Rifle and .22 LR Ruger 77/22® Rifle.
    Great! I had no idea. I wonder if there is one for a 795.

(Washington County)

Default Re: HB 366 allow Hunting with Semi automatic Rifles in PA – Rep Saccone 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    I think a five round capacity limit for a semiautomatic while hunting is perfectly reasonable. And we can't really complain too much, since this is hunting and hunting has nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

And agreeing with a five round limit would deflate the biggest argument people have against semiautomatics for hunting - the "you don't need no 30 round clipazine to keel a deer wit!" With a five round capacity, we'd actually be UNDER the rounds carried by some other commonly used hunting rifles.

And why would you AR10 guys need more than 5 rounds? You're shooting a damn 308 Winchester!
    My concern would be over Leftists who would try to use such a limit as a psychological precedent and propaganda in order to help push a general ban on hi-cap mags over the top at some point in the future. Generally speaking, accepting any needs-based criteria w/respect to ammo capacity is a bad idea. Not saying that isn't a sad and unfortunate thing to say, but in this day and age, I think it has to be said.

In any case, talking about "clip or magazine capacity" should not be part of the argument. Let's not accept the narratives of the Left so easily. The subject is round limits, not magazine capacity.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; February 3rd, 2017 at 05:21 AM.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast