Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default PA Game Commission Clarification Letter on Hunting with a Suppressor

A friend of mine submitted a letter to the PAGC asking for clarification on the legality of hunting with a suppressor. I never questioned it but some do, so now we have it spelled out pretty clearly.

We wanted to share this letter so other PAFOA members can take it with them on their hunts and show it to anyone who wants to say different.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northampton County)

Default Re: PA Game Commission Clarification Letter on Hunting with a Suppressor

So what is "the required permit?"

Is that a $5 permit request people have discussed before for a specific "firearm?"

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: PA Game Commission Clarification Letter on Hunting with a Suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    So what is "the required permit?"

Is that a $5 permit request people have discussed before for a specific "firearm?"
    Tax stamp?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Tax stamp?
    It could mean a number of things. It could mean a tax stamp (which is not a permit), a hunting license (which I don't think they would refer to as a permit), or it could be a permit to use a firearm that is not specifically authorized under the game law:

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...ml#post2160282

Based on the letter posted in the OP, I think nothing has been resolved.

(Washington County)

The original question letter was sent to the PAGC asking "If the suppressor was legally possessed with the NFA paperwork would it be legal for hunting?", to paraphrase.

I agree, the wording is not ideal, but I will carry a copy and live with it.

I'm certainly not going to write my own letter and I don't even know if I would have sent a letter in the first place because of what happened with the SIG pistol brace, but my friend wanted to do this to have an answer.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Snyder County)

Knowing that it was already legal to hunt with suppressors, I wouldn't have written a letter either. Why draw attention to a topic that's already been dealt with. Just as Josh said, look at what happened with the ATF and the Sig arm brace.

Keep in mind, section 2322 of the Game Code deals with devices used to kill or take (basically) big game. A silencer is something added onto the gun, just like a scope or sling or using a bench rest. Some interpret subsection (a)(6) to mean that you have to have a special permit for hunting with a silencer or that a silencer has to be expressly permitted in the law. If that's the case, then you would need a permit to be expressly permitted to use a sling, scope, etc.

PA Game Laws Sec. 2322. Prohibited devices and methods.
    (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:
    (1) Any device other than a center-fire or muzzle-loading firearm or bow and arrow.
    (2) Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.
    (3) Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per discharge.
    (4) Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact.
    (5) When any big game is swimming.
    (6) By any other method or device which is not specifically authorized or permitted by this title or commission regulation.
    Last edited by shademtarmory; February 9th, 2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by shademtarmory View Post
    Knowing that it was already legal to hunt with suppressors, I wouldn't have written a letter either. Why draw attention to a topic that's already been dealt with. Just as Josh said, look at what happened with the ATF and the Sig arm brace.
    Yep the "Letter writers" are our worst enemy. How much more are we going to lose by their actions?