Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm no Einstein

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: I'm no Einstein

Thank you one and all. The powder scale is in the mail as I write this. I enjoyed all the info and comments. THANKS AGAIN

(Wayne County)

Default Re: I'm no Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Thank you one and all. The powder scale is in the mail as I write this. I enjoyed all the info and comments. THANKS AGAIN
    Your welcome.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: I'm no Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    And I admit it. I am new at reloading by am stuck now. I want to reload 9 mm Luger and will be using bull's-eye powder and a 115 grain bullet.

I have a digital scale which weighs grams, not grains. Can somebody please tell me how much powder to use. I have the scoop that came with the 9 mm Lee dies, but on it, it says to only use the scoop in conjunction with Lee loading data. ???

I love this site, because you guys have a wealth of information and experience, and I have never disappointed. Thanks Joe

There are scales out there with precision in the milligram range. A grain is about 65 milligrams. Milligrams are a lot more precise than grains.

A NASA probe missed Mars because of conversion errors. Someone picked Imperial units for SI so the probe missed Mars and went into space. Even the Pros make mistakes.

Why take a chance? Get a scale calibrated in grains. Be sure that it's only calibrated in grains. People sometimes don't pay close attention to the units of measure.

Most powder manufacturers have online recipes. Use a paper manual, use an online source.

Pick the recipe that has most of the components that you are using. Start conservatively, except with known "detonators" like the 8mm Mauser or 243. For those special cases where a round is a known detonator you have to be extra careful.

Wink Re: I'm no Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    One gram equals 15.4323584 grains. One grain equals 0.06479891 grams. I don't think I'd be using that scale.
    R U sure the thing will not transition to grains??? i have a Dillon digital and it weighs both.

BTW you may save yerself some headaches if you run into a problem w 9mm cases..they often "gourd" while resizing..ie: come out w a slight bulge right up ahead of the extractor groove. & this is caused by not being able to full-length resize them pesky small cases!
    We had this problem at first and found that some cases stick IN the chambers of some semi-autos..or even jam b4 firing, which is a pain to get them out!! We fixed the problem by buying what is called a 9mm "undersize die"..it gets resizing right down to the groove and voila' no more 'gourded cases"!!
    Now we also mic out all 9mm cases b4 resizing..to make sure the are within a few tenths of a mm in diameter of factory cases. I also mic out about every 20th case after loading..just in case! I am careful and a bit slow, but I hate jams!!!

just sayin. get a new scale!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123