Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Suggestions from a Meter Reader

I am currently employed as a meter reader by an energy company. Most do not know this but when you agree to buy a house that has a meter attached, or sign the contract to get one installed, you are signing over full access to your property at any time. When I started the job this REALLY bothered me, and it still does.

Here are my suggestions:

1.) Call the company appropriate for a given meter, and tell them that you need the reader to knock on your door and inform you of their presence. Make it clear that this should be noted for your address and mention you value your privacy and are prepared to defend yourself. (This is not a threat, but they will know you are serious and be very careful to note your preference of being alerted to their presence)

2.) Put beware of dog signs on your property and make them very visible. This helps cover you in court to a degree should your dog bite someone.

3.) Know that if you do not do this some random person (not dangerous of course) could catch you in a variety of very private moments, which could lead you and them to have a very traumatizing experience. (I saw 60yr olds naked and I'm still vomiting).

I make it a point to be as loud as possible and rattle things to let it known I'm there. My cautiousness protects me from dogs and nasty incidents, but my productivity suffers. I am a summer intern and can afford this, most of my peers storm your yard read the meter and storm out and if they see something they ignore it (until they tell us about it at the end of the day bull session) and keep moving.

I never knew any of this before I started there, and maybe its because I never owned a house, but if you were not informed now you are and you can take steps to protect yourself.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Chester County)

Default Re: Suggestions from a Meter Reader

Good post. Thanks for the info.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

BTW I did have a gentleman come out after I read his meter and say, "I was just making sure I didn't have to put a bullet in anyones head."

While this didn't bother me as I'm pretty thick skinned, knew he didn't mean it as a threat, and understand/agree with the sentiment; most of my peers would not see it this way and would probably report him to both the company and the police. Please be careful in what you say!

I suggest something like,"I have had problems with intruders in the past and I'd really appreciate it if you could note that my meter is not to be read before knocking on my door and alerting me of your presence." This is a polite and succint way to get your point across without appearing threatening.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

It's probably also important to know if your meters need direct readings. My home inspector said mine were equipped with remote devices and that anyone wanting to come in the house was full of crap.

(Philadelphia County)

Some are able to get wanded, and some even transmit directly to the headquarters, but many still include manual reads; especially when bill disputes arise.

(Allegheny County)

a couple months ago, i woke up to a loud banging sound right outside my window. then the power went out.

i looked out the window and saw a guy from the electric company replacing the meter on my house.

it only took him a minute or two...by the time i put on some pants and went outside, he was gone.

but, wtf? i didn't even know there was anything wrong with the old meter...you'd think they would at least give you some warning.

(Mercer County)

Note to all meter readers my account is sent up that an appointment must be set to gain access to the meter, no appointment no access to the meter; when you set up an appointment time (the appointment time is set between 8am and Noon or between Noon and 5 pm on a certain day). Be at my home to read a meter between the hours that the appointment was set, you have a four hour cushion or you'll have to set up another appointment time. I won't be there for the second appointment time.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Montgomery County)

Most do not know this but when you agree to buy a house that has a meter attached, or sign the contract to get one installed, you are signing over full access to your property at any time.
    I don't remember signing that form when I bought my house that already had a meter attached. Is this something that the real estate agent should mention to a home buyer?
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

I worked as a reader for a company in Lancaster many years ago, if there was a dog loose on the property I didnt go onto that property. Thankfully most of our meters were getting switched over to the electronic reading devices. All I had to do was drive by and it got picked up.