Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Another to Oppose HB 285

Here's one that should be opposed for a multitude of reasons.

Regular Session 2015-2016
    House Bill 285

Short Title: An Act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in firearms and other dangerous articles, further providing for licenses and for sale or transfer of firearms.

Prime Sponsor: Representative THOMAS
    Last Action: Referred to JUDICIARY, Feb. 2, 2015 [House]
    Memo: Firearms and mental illness
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&type=B&bn=285

Be sure to read the test of this bill attached. I'm sure we can all think of a multitude of reasons why this should not be allowed to stand and why its sponsors deserve to be voted out of office.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Another to Oppose HB 285

Just the statement concerning mental health is a NO-GO. The statement is a trap either way you look at it. Disqualifies you for mental health reasons or for committing perjury because you sought mental health counseling and didn't report it.

Having said that, this should be laughed out of committee.

All liberals/progressives/Communists(Democrats), based upon their belief in the unicorn society, should qualify immediately under this criteria; and be banned for life from owning a firearm. After all, liberalism/progressivism/communism is a mental illness. They all believe, you can get something for nothing.

Note: The American Communist Party has decided to align themselves with the Democratic Party. Need I say more?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Westmoreland County)

What's the definition of "Mental health treatment"? If I am transported to an emergency room via ambulance after cutting deep into my leg muscle with my chainsaw, and I fear that I may lose my leg or my life....and the trauma surgeon is cutting, hacking and sewing away to save my leg and not talking to me because of precious time, so I happen to be awake and ask an attending physician if I'm going to either die or lose my leg because I fear for the welfare of my family.......and he say's it appears that with some motivated therapy I should be fine....did I just receive "Mental health treatment"?

(Cumberland County)

If I read it correctly, beginning on page 2, line 24...

It looks like a record of sale would be required for ALL firearm transfers, not just pistols.

They just never stop trying, do they...
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Susquehanna County)

After reading this proposed bill can one find:

Any indication of the preservation of due process? There isn't even a hint of ADJUDICATION here!

Any indication of consideration for the type, nature or severity of the mental illness? e.g. obsessive compulsive behavior is a mental illness, so is depression or anxiety. But, none of these are apt to make a person a danger to self or others.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

Thumbs down Re: Another to Oppose HB 285

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    If I read it correctly, beginning on page 2, line 24...

It looks like a record of sale would be required for ALL firearm transfers, not just pistols.

They just never stop trying, do they...
    that's how i understood it too, but at the sametime it reads like a ccw permit application but does it apply to pistols/revolvers or long guns too? and the mental health section really sucks so this bill shouldn't be let out of commitee

(Butler County)

I just left New Yorkistan to get away from the sea of insanity there. And it looks like it happening here. Time to write my local reps now and get this nipped in the bud. Don't ever underestimate these tyrants or else soon you'll wake up wondering what happened.

I am vehemently opposed to this- and the reasons should be obvious. It's unconstitutional- if a man seeks treatment for depression because his wife just died, or a young woman needs to see a counselor because of anxiety- that should NOT, repeat NOT strip rights away from law abiding citizens. It will teach people that they should not seek treatment. I have contacted my legislator.
    Last edited by Didnotcomply89; February 4th, 2015 at 04:35 AM.

(Berks County)

This is just plain bullshit!! It is up to the doctor to notify authorities if a person has a mental disorder that makes them dangerous to the general public. The PSP has no business in the determination, period! This is nothing more than a delaying tactic to cause people more grief trying to buy a firearm. Submitting the request via snailmail?! Who even does that anymore?! One fo the problems with Obamacare was making electronic medical records available on line. I getting on the horn to my rep and tell him to oppose this bill!

(Westmoreland County)

Another Philly Rep giving it a run. I wonder if we could get Philly to succeed from the State....and the Union? It would be cheaper to fund them as a foreign country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast