Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Smile Looking looking for a revolver

Looking for a 38 revolver for the range.
    Something with out a huge recoil.
    Opinions on Ruger SP 101.
    Thank's

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking looking for a revolver

ruger revolvers are bank vault/ Sherman tank durable. you cannot/ will not kill one. global warming and trans fats can't even harm them.

the triggers have always been a little...blah for my tastes.(that's just me. but, I admittedly am a smith and Wesson revolver fanboy)

they aren't exactly nice to look at. but, you're shooting it. not dating it.

my old superblackhawk in 44 mag. was a beast.

Revolvers, one of my favorite topics

Rugers and Smith & Wessons are your two options for a quality revolver that is currently in production. I own both brands, and like both VERY much.

Here's my short rundown.

Smiths are going to run a little more costly new, and they will hold their value better. They tend to have 'leaner' frames, are made from forged steel, and have a little tighter tolerances (although this is not as true as it once was), and the triggers are SOMETIMES better out of the box.

Rugers are a little chunkier. Some might say they are MUCH heavier, but I don't think it's a big difference. They use investment casting, which is plenty strong.

While Rugers have thicker cylinders than Smiths, their durability comes from their lock work. The Ruger lockwork, including the yoke-tube and cylinder locking points, will typically last longer than a Smith before needing tune-ups and gunsmithing work.

This isn't to say Smiths are weak; they are not. But their lock work and yoke tubes are just a little less robust than Rugers, and therefore, are more susceptible to earlier wear and tear.

My advice: hold an SP101/GP100, then hold a Smith m60 / 686. Decide which one feels better to YOU. If it's only range use, then a 4 inch barrel is ideal. You might want to look at adjustable sights rather than the fixed notch sights on the SP101 2-3 inch barrels.

You want to know the basics of a revolver if you don't already. Keep your hand away from the front of the cylinder when firing; the hot gasses come out the sides, and they WILL burn you badly if you touch that area. Check the revolver's carry-up and timing, check the endshake when it is in full lockup, and measure the barrel cylinder gap with feeler gauges (.004-.009 is the general range). Also, make sure the barrel is clocked at 12 o'clock, and is not canted left or right.

The SP101 is a fine revolver. It's a five shot .357 magnum (I'd recommend that one) that is handles recoil well for such a small frame. The fixed sights do take a lot of practice to use effectively even at 7 yards. If you want adjustable sights, Ruger makes a 4 inch version that has the target sights (they are a little harder to find).

Revolvers are a lot of fun, and are also effective defensive tools.
    Last edited by American1776; January 31st, 2015 at 02:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

I'm not a fan of Ruger double actions. Yes they are built like a tank and are reliable but (for me) they seem a little clunky and have iffy triggers. I am a HUGE fan of Rugers single action Blackhawk though. Its a must have!

For a lot of people when you say .38 revolver they instantly think S&W. Get a K frame M&P model 10 (or 15 with adjustable sites) with a 4 -5 inch barrel and don't look back. This design is going on 100 years and does not need to be changed. It works.

Besides a small frame 5 shot (carry) revolver. Recoil of standard .38's are mild and my girlfriend / daughters can shoot it without a problem. OK....I will admit I load lighter target loads for them. But they have shot full power loads and were OK. For pinking at the range buy / Load some lead wadcutters. They are extremely accurate and mild. And while your at it get a box of the +P load for self defense / bigger critters.

(Susquehanna County)

If it is going to be mostly a range gun, get the GP100 with 6" barrel. Adjustable sights, will allow for a wide range of ammo from .38 Spec. wadcutter target loads right up to full power .357 magnum. The stock grips are very comfortable, and carry in a "duty type" holster isn't bad.

As others have said the trigger will probably need some work. A good 'smith will know what to do including which springs to swap out on the trigger assembly. Deburring the trigger window in the frame and polishing the trigger mechanism contacts (I say again, POLISH) without changing angles and contact areas will usual do the trick.

But, all that being said, if you search the used market you'll have a choice of many fine S&W K-frame, L-frame and N-frame .38 Spec/.357 Magnum revolvers. Just learn what to look for.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Luzerne County)

I just picked up a 2.5" Ruger SP101 today, and love it! I'm partial to Ruger revolvers, even though I carry S&W 642 as a BUG.

I've been wanting a 4" Ruger GP100, but my LGS keeps selling the before I get there! So, today I checked over the SP101 and decided it would suit my needs to a T.

(Delaware County)

I like my Smith model 10-8. Heavy 4" barrel. It handles +p sd loads well. Soaks up recoil easily. They are reasonable to buy used.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

(Berks County)

I agree that you should look at Smith&wesson, and Ruger. Never owned a ruger, but I have several smiths. Mine are all in 357 caliber, model 19's 66's, and a model 28. They are my favorite guns hands down. great balance,and superb triggers. You can still find used ones at a decent price, the earlier ones, that are pinned barrels and recessed cylinders are more pricey, but later models are just as good shooting wise. The reason I favor models chambered in 357, is that you have much greater option in the ammo you can shoot, from hot 357 to 38 target loads. Look around at gun shops, and on line and you should be able to find a nice shooter grade for less than a new 38.

(Delaware County)

I have always been a revolver guy at heart even though I carry small semi autos and also adore the 1911. I have had a number of .357s and .38s from different manufacturers. In the end, my all-time favorites are S&Ws. I've gotten rid of the rest in .357/.38 with one exception - a Chiappa Rhino that I keep because of its weirdness factor. My personal favorite in the .357/.38 line is the S&W Model 19. I have 3, all of which have butter-smooth triggers and tight lock works. The Model 19 is a K frame, not meant for a steady diet of full-bull .357. Mine are all 4 inch barrel with target sights. You can only get them used. Still, if you know what to look for, they are a good buy in my opinion.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast